Question I think my MB is bad. If so, what do you think would be a good replacement.

Iccy

Aug 27, 2004
Hey gang. PC died a week or so ago. It would flick on for a split second then shut off. I went and replaced the PSU with the same one it had before and now im getting a boot loop of like 2-3 seconds. It powers on for 2-3 seconds, the fans run and lights come on, then it dies, then comes back on and repeats that over and over. At this point i have the MB sitting on a piece of cardboard with nothing plugged in to make sure there is no shorts and its still doing it. Sounds like its dead right? Anyway, if it is dead, is there a replacement anyone can recommend ? I dont have the money for a full upgrade at the time, so trying to get it back up and running as cheap as i can.

Thanks for any help, trying to get Net+ and Sec+ during this covid thing so i can get back to work, need this working again. :)

This is the basic load out :

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You most likely will have to look for a used LGA1155 motherboard on places like Ebay (or the FS/FT forum here).

That socket has been discontinued for some time, and there likely aren't many new ones out there anymore. I think users like @VirtualLarry has some new Z97 motherboards in his PC component hoard, so he may be of some help here.

BTW, if you keep up at your current posting rate, you will hit 5 posts by 2040. :p

• Haha
Reactions: JPB and Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Socket 1150, actually. But yeah, likely the motherboard is dead, but then, my friend @faxon had a similar issue on a Z97 system a while back, and it turned out to be a bad CPU.

Reactions: Iccy

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
@Shmee i've seen two 4790k dead now actually, and in the same board no less lmao. One had 4 pin pads that were varying amounts of totally gone from half pad to completely removed. I'd offer him the board since it's still good but IDK if it has a ghost in it or what lmao

Nov 20, 2009
Did you remember to connect the 8-pin power feed to the motherboard as well as the main power connector? It should be near the top edge of the board near the CPU. When I failed to do this I got into a boot-loop. That was a lesson learned almost 8 years ago with Gigabyte. The say it is only needed for Extreme Edition processors, but mine was not.

Iccy

Aug 27, 2004
Did you remember to connect the 8-pin power feed to the motherboard as well as the main power connector? It should be near the top edge of the board near the CPU. When I failed to do this I got into a boot-loop. That was a lesson learned almost 8 years ago with Gigabyte. The say it is only needed for Extreme Edition processors, but mine was not.

Good call, i did not have this in. Not sure if i ever did. But unfortunately that only changed the issue from a predictable 3 second loop to a random boot cycle. It now stays on for like 2 min or so and then shuts off and turns back on again, no video from card or if i pull the card and just plug into the MB video. Thanks though, thought i had it for a second and clearly the other power cord did need to be plugged in, because the MB LED did not come on till i did, so something was off and now ill know for the future to check that.

Nov 20, 2009
I'm sitting here waiting on my mobo to go tits up, too. Usually everything in the PC will last until the mobo battery fails. And since it has been eight years for me I think it is getting close to building a new PC. The unfortunate thing is that my CPU compares strongly with current gen CPUs and thus it seems like I am just being forced to rebuild.

Reactions: Iccy

Iccy

Aug 27, 2004
I'm sitting here waiting on my mobo to go tits up, too. Usually everything in the PC will last until the mobo battery fails. And since it has been eight years for me I think it is getting close to building a new PC. The unfortunate thing is that my CPU compares strongly with current gen CPUs and thus it seems like I am just being forced to rebuild.

I feel ya. I had this PC in storage for a while since i was moving around a lot. I just pulled it out and for it running. It ran for 2 weeks then died. It still did everything i needed of it too, so i feel like im wasting money i dont really have to spend. I mean part of me is sorta happy lol, but id much rather just hold off for a year or so then do a power upgrade. Ahh well, we do what we gotta.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
LOL!

OK, say no more...

I know the pain of being a victim of your own success :)
My main everyday machine - on which I'm typing this - is built around a 2500k.
Perfect service for almost a decade (!) and went through many updates (current specs 32GB RAM and GTX1650).
In the meantime, other PC have come and gone in the household.
At this point, it seems indestructible.

So the upgrade/new tech itch is balanced by the increasing feeling of pride for having a classic - like a GT car or a Harley - purring like a kitten.

And then, of course, are the projects like "small and cool, gaming ITX build", "sleeper" and other more or less focused challenges.

All for geek cred, of course. :p

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

In my experience mainboards run just fine even with a failed battery. Just do not unplug them because your clock will get lost.

I also feel your pain, I have an old 4790K and any replacement involves buying mainboard + ram. It just makes that jump so much harder to justify for 10%* more single thread performance.

(*I know I can get more then 10%, but even spending $$$ gets me maybe 20%. )