I think my graphics card took a poop on me.

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
I gave my old gamer to my dad so he can play Civ IV on it. Recently he turned it on, and everthing turned on, but he said it beeped 8 times and there was no video. I turned it off and on several times, same result, 8 beeps, no video.

It's an old Athalon 2.0
Can't remember the mobo.
In Win 300 Watt PSU
GeForce FX5950 'Ultra'
Windows XP sp2

Anyways, I don't want to redo everthing, and it only has to play Civ IV. So my questions are:
-is it the graphics card that's dead?
-good cheapo AGP recommendation?

Something that draws low power would be nice. I don't want to stress the 300 Watt PSU any more than I have to as it is pushing into it's 5th or 6th year of service.

Thanks all.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Do you have a spare PSU to try? It really might be a failing PSU. Often, not all rails in the PSU will fail simultaneously, causing odd issues like this.

Other than that, you should be able to find a 6600 vanilla AGP or better for dirt cheap, if the card is kaput.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Peelback79
I gave my old gamer to my dad so he can play Civ IV on it. Recently he turned it on, and everthing turned on, but he said it beeped 8 times and there was no video. I turned it off and on several times, same result, 8 beeps, no video.

It's an old Athalon 2.0
Can't remember the mobo.
In Win 300 Watt PSU
GeForce FX5950 'Ultra'
Windows XP sp2

Anyways, I don't want to redo everthing, and it only has to play Civ IV. So my questions are:
-is it the graphics card that's dead?
-good cheapo AGP recommendation?

Something that draws low power would be nice. I don't want to stress the 300 Watt PSU any more than I have to as it is pushing into it's 5th or 6th year of service.

Thanks all.

Do you have the motherboard manual? They usually indicate what the beeps mean.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: zerogear

Do you have the motherboard manual? They usually indicate what the beeps mean.

That or you could call tech support at the mobo manufacturer and ask them what 8 beeps means.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
8 beeps is the AMI BIOS video error code. Typically this would indicate a bad video card. However, if the video card isn't getting sufficient power, it will also generate the error. You should try a spare power supply, plus also reseat the card in the slot. If that doesn't help, then chances are it is a dead card.