I think my card is a brick now

Rihl

Jun 21, 2021
Yesterday I did the memory strip edit on the bios of my Rx580 with the PolarisBiosEditor with one click patch, I made a back up bios beforehand, then I flashed the moded one with amdvbflash, it was a success, reset the PC, all worked, I gamed all day, no problems, and in the morning when I turned on the PC the monitor stays dark, the card spins and that's it, just an hour ago I tried the 1+8 jumper wire, boot the system with the iGPU, tried to see if amdvbflash will detect it with "amdvbflash -i 1 ", "amdvbflash -i 0 " but the card is not found anywhere, doesn't boot just spins the fans. The card is AXRX 580 8GBD5-3DHDV2/OC, if I know correctly it has dual bios, it has a switch, but that doesn't help at all, If you have any suggestions I'm well open, other than go and buy a new card :D

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Not sure if this will help at all, but you could try the card in another system, or with another monitor, just to be sure. And try different video outputs. But it sounds like even the BIOS switch does not work anymore, so that could be very bad. I don't know why a BIOS issue would brick both BIOS, so my guess is maybe you fried the memory somehow?

Anyhow, just to confirm, when you booted with the integrated GPU, was there any signs of the RX580 in windows? Like anything in the device manager? If so, you could try using a different BIOS flash utility, like for DOS. It has been a while since I flashed a GPU, but I remember I did it with a bootable DOS stick, on an R9 290. Not sure if any of the DOS tools would work for an RX 580 though.

Rihl

Jun 21, 2021
Not sure if this will help at all, but you could try the card in another system, or with another monitor, just to be sure. And try different video outputs. But it sounds like even the BIOS switch does not work anymore, so that could be very bad. I don't know why a BIOS issue would brick both BIOS, so my guess is maybe you fried the memory somehow?

Anyhow, just to confirm, when you booted with the integrated GPU, was there any signs of the RX580 in windows? Like anything in the device manager? If so, you could try using a different BIOS flash utility, like for DOS. It has been a while since I flashed a GPU, but I remember I did it with a bootable DOS stick, on an R9 290. Not sure if any of the DOS tools would work for an RX 580 though.
No signs that the card is even there,
the oc I had was 2100mhz on the mem, the clock gave 0 memory errors, I raised voltage for the mem just by a 20, on the core I ran 1350 mhz with an undervolt, temps under 65 C, again all was stable, the voltage was in the optimal range for the card, I have no idea what could have gone wrong.

Rihl

Jun 21, 2021
Afte some time I got it sorted out, the 1+5 jumper wire did the trick, I flicked the switch while the said wire was connected (that was done several times:)), I also cleared the cmos, then boot up windows with the iGPU, tho I had to remove the rx first so I can set to onboard, after the motherboard bios was set up, I saved and shutdown, put the gpu back, started the pc , fired up an elevated CMD, cd-ed to the folder where the "amdvbflash" is, it detected it as slot-polaris -the id - faild, flicked the switch to the faulty bios position (idk if this had anything to do with), then cut the wire across, did the amdvbflash -i and it spitted out a PASS, so I flashed the backup and now everything is extra. All of those steps were done by me many time before it finally gave up ;)

Interestingly this behavior is very strange, considering it has two bios chips and the positions of it did nothing, I did disassemble the card too and checked for whatever looks wrong or gets hot

Last edited:

SocaJunkie

Oct 21, 2021
Yesterday I did the memory strip edit on the bios of my Rx580 with the PolarisBiosEditor with one click patch, I made a back up bios beforehand, then I flashed the moded one with amdvbflash, it was a success, reset the PC, all worked, I gamed all day, no problems, and in the morning when I turned on the PC the monitor stays dark, the card spins and that's it, just an hour ago I tried the 1+8 jumper wire, boot the system with the iGPU, tried to see if amdvbflash will detect it with "amdvbflash -i 1 ", "amdvbflash -i 0 " but the card is not found anywhere, doesn't boot just spins the fans. The card is AXRX 580 8GBD5-3DHDV2/OC, if I know correctly it has dual bios, it has a switch, but that doesn't help at all, If you have any suggestions I'm well open, other than go and buy a new card :D

Have the same issue with my AXRX 580 8GBD5-3DHDV2/OC but don't have the original bios. Can you send me yours?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Last edited:

SocaJunkie

Oct 21, 2021