I think I've found the Sony PlayStation 3's first big hit.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
LittleBigPlanet
Sony today announced a rather unexpected and terrifyingly adorable new game, LittleBigPlanet. Officially labeled as a "community-based" game, LittleBigPlanet is essentially a physics-based platformer, though such a description fails miserably at capturing the sheer amount of scrambling, swinging and holding-on-for-dear-life going on in the gameplay footage. Developed by Ragdoll Kung-Fu masters, Media Molecule, the game encourages players to help each other over obstacles, interact with objects (often fruit-like in nature) and grab onto everything -- including each other.

Four-player pushing and pulling aside, LittleBigPlanet also highlights user-created content, allowing players to design characters, objects and levels to share online. Given the grab-happy, emergent gameplay, downloadable custom levels should enable players to constantly discover new ways to aid or injure their pudgy little avatars. An earlier Sony presentation demonstrated some intuitive controls, with the manipulation of analog sticks and motion controls resulting in all manner of jumping, wiggling and waving.
It looks like this has sold the Penny Arcade guys on the console (link). It's not enough to make me outlay $600+, but it's a decent start...

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Looks really cool. :thumbsup:

Hopefully people don't dismiss it as a "kids" game. :thumbsdown:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The physics look great... but, all the game seems to be is using the environment to get past obsticles. What is the piont? I would hope there is more to the game then that. Also, I like the graphics, a nice blend of cartoon and very realistic on screen stuff.

*Edit - Good point about it being a 'kids game'. You know that if that was a Nintendo game that would be it's label instantly.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
The physics look great... but, all the game seems to be is using the environment to get past obsticles. What is the piont? I would hope there is more to the game then that. Also, I like the graphics, a nice blend of cartoon and very realistic on screen stuff.

The point is thinking about how to solve challenges in an interactive and co-operative environment. It's everything that a multi-player game should be.

Oct 19, 2000
That looks fun! Looks more fun than the Castle Crashers game coming to Live Arcade around the same time next year.