I think its time we have a REAL Yet Another Gun Thread for P&N

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Being prepared =/= Fear. It could be driven by a rational desire to have proficiency in something that you many never need to exercise.

I find shooting to be relaxing and it provides excellent feedback in goals progression.

Yes, I also understand that what I use can be used to inflict damage to others but I practice because I'd like to be competent in my usage of it so as to minimize any collateral if I did have to employ it in a time is life situation.

I also would prefer to understand something instead of fearing something by not understanding, "We all fear what we do not understand."

Fear is really a polarizing word, eh? I don't get it. Being prepared is directly a response to the expectation of a situation. In this instance, it's a situation where you or those you care for are threatened. How is fear not part of the equation?

Marketing relies on fear, along with sexual desire, for just about everything, and usually mixes the two. How you imagine you're immune to it in the scenario where you're buying a gun and trying to maximize proficiency with it as a means of protection/ability to handle a situation that calls for a gun seems like a conflicted state of mind.

Otherwise, I have to conclude that you're not afraid of you or your family being threatened, in which case it makes little sense that you bought and sought proficiency with the gun(s).