I think I'm going to get some Lasik done...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I almost did it at one time until I started looking for information on webpages. There are TONS of webpages out there devoted to people that have had complications with this operation.

No unnecessary operations for me.

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
If they screw up your eye then you can go back and get it redone, again and again...Not that youd want too, would be too pissed off.
We do know a lady that had it done about 5 years ago and something went wrong. And she is blind in her right eye. But hey she has great vision through the left one:D:eek:

Also my wifes uncle had to go back and get on his eyes redone. Now he is satisfied with it. When he went back the doctor put him under a microscope and opened up the flap with a tiny little scalpel. :Q
Now if you move your eye the laser is smart enough to stop almost instantly....... until you are again focusing on the red dot.

Yeah wavefront is not for everyone. Only those with certain astigmatisms (iirc)???
Yeah wavefront costs a hell of alot more than older Lasik procedures.

There is a guy on these boards that works in an eye center who actually knows this stuff unlike us....maybe he'll see the thread

:beer:

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Make sure you get a custom Lasik done, its much better for night vision, I'm actually in process myself for getting it and should have it done on/around mid March.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: blazert40
Make sure you get a custom Lasik done, its much better for night vision, I'm actually in process myself for getting it and should have it done on/around mid March.

Would you mind elaborating upon that please? I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm listening.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
I had mine done on 12/31/02, a little over a year ago, LASIK. I'm seeing about 20/20 in one eye, and 20/25 in the other... at night I get a little glare but overall I don't have any trouble at all driving (no halo's, etc). I still don't see as well as when I had contacts (20/15), but it's not enough of a difference to really matter. I just enjoy not having to fck with contact solution/enzymes EVER AGAIN! Oh and it cost about 1800 per eye, 3600 total.

The thing that sux is the same doctor who LASIK'd me also LASIK'd dad. Dad has cataracts recently, goes under the laser again... his right eye is now messed up, his pupil won't "un-dialate". He has to take drops to make his pupil go back to normal size... it might be permanent, doc's aren't sure yet :(

My friend just had this done. Worked great for him.
To quote him: "the best 1200 bucks I've EVER spent".

I will eventually get it done. Though, I'm very scared about being awake when they cut my eye and what not.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Originally posted by: yamahaXS
do it yourself and save $6000!

$6000!!! Jesus! Where did you get yours done?

What are we talking about cost-wise. I was under the impression it was $500-$1000 per eye. Am I wrong?

The billboard on 15 at about 33rd says $299 at the Lasic Institute, of course you probably get doctor Nick Riveria but hey it's cheap! :)

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
the cheap places have a lot of complaints filed against them, the place im going to charges 2k per eye and has followups for 2 years and they use the combination of wavefront and intralase.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: rahvin

What are we talking about cost-wise. I was under the impression it was $500-$1000 per eye. Am I wrong?

The billboard on 15 at about 33rd says $299 at the Lasic Institute, of course you probably get doctor Nick Riveria but hey it's cheap! :)

Cheap and eye surgery don't belong anywhere near each other.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Kaervak

If that was directed at me you are talking to someone that paid $5000 to a doctor (and a another $2k for the hospital) for 30 min of work on one eye. I was relating a local price for Lasik advertised that Amish may not have seen so he can get an idea of the local price range.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaervak

If that was directed at me you are talking to someone that paid $5000 to a doctor (and a another $2k for the hospital) for 30 min of work on one eye. I was relating a local price for Lasik advertised that Amish may not have seen so he can get an idea of the local price range.

Not at all, I'm just saying that anyone who is willing to spend that little to have something so major done to them isn't the brightest. :)

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
How does this affect eyes in high/low pressure and in high gravitational forces? One of my life goals is to go to outer space and I am worried if I get it done, my eyes may become week and something may happen when leaving. I know the air force has high restrictions on it. My mom was going to get it for me this summer, but I am worried about not being able to go to space.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: ScottyB
How does this affect eyes in high/low pressure and in high gravitational forces? One of my life goals is to go to outer space and I am worried if I get it done, my eyes may become week and something may happen when leaving. I know the air force has high restrictions on it. My mom was going to get it for me this summer, but I am worried about not being able to go to space.

Aww little Scotty wants to be a spaceman!

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
My dad's friend had it done. He had horrible problems with it. The doctor said he could patch things up and things just go worse. He had to wear contacts and glasses. He is now scheduled for a cornea transplant.

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: amdskip
My dad's friend had it done. He had horrible problems with it. The doctor said he could patch things up and things just go worse. He had to wear contacts and glasses. He is now scheduled for a cornea transplant.

Cornea Transplant? Damn, sorry to hear that.

Sounds like the script of a cheap horror movie. Hope he doesn't get one from a recently fried Death Row inmate looking for revenge.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: ScottyB
A buddy of mine wanted to be a pilot but his vision wasn't good enough... Armed Forces (Air Force if I recall correctly) said that they wouldn't accept him even if he got LASIK, although I've heard that you CAN in the Navy. Except in the Navy, you have to have good enough vision to get in, then if it degenerates from there, you can have laser surgery performed through the Navy (not a commercial company) and you can still fly...