I think I want to consider low-end X299. Advice?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
buying into x299 now seems like a bad move, unless you are going for the higher core count ones,
I think the 8600K is going to be the way to go,

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, it was just a through, sparked by Markfw's post in the Skylake thread, about thinking of getting X299.

I was thinking, hey, why not, how can I do that on the cheap?

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
Kaby Lake-X is bad value because Coffee Lake is coming, I couldn't bear myself to get it, even with prices of X299 boards put aside.

It would be much better if Coffee Lake-X was available, but that is probably not coming soon. Older Intel slides show it though so it should be coming next year.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It would be much better if Coffee Lake-X was available, but that is probably not coming soon. Older Intel slides show it though so it should be coming next year.
That was some of the motivation behind my idea. My only real questions are, is CFL-X actually still coming out, and will mobos that specify "for KBL-X ONLY", work with CFL-X?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
That was some of the motivation behind my idea. My only real questions are, is CFL-X actually still coming out, and will mobos that specify "for KBL-X ONLY", work with CFL-X?
Oddly enough I expect so. The limitation on CFL on 1151 has a lot more to do with Intel stuck in a bad spot of their own creation. They agreed to the OEM's they wouldn't change the platform every year and only do it every two years. Problem is that they want to make sure all SkyLake owner upgrading have to get a new board (also the few KBL owners but that is a bonus. They can't really change the platform because they are saving that for Cannonlake(?) their 10nm die shrink. Anyways this is the middle ground for the OEM's they get a platform that will allow them to continue to offer SL and KBL stock, even though they have to validate a new platform. The SL stock is important because many places like my work still use Win 7 and SL is the latest CPU we can use. Anyways this doesn't apply to HEDT and each HEDT platform tends to get two full gens which CFL would fall in between (SB and IVB, HW and BW). I don't know what second gen X299 they could make it CFL-X but that might mean no standard i5 or i7 or a bastardization that is even worse than today's with two CFL named products but wildly different core performance. Or they could call it KBL-X and CFL-X would pickup where the current KBL-X stands. Either way I expect another product launch on this socket and chances are one of the products will be named CFL-X.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Wait for Z390, then make a decision about how to join the 5 GHz club.

Without, you know, buying up someone's used 9590. Ha!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I've never had a "5Ghz" CPU. Not yet, anyways. I'm hoping that KBL-X is an easy ticket to the "5Ghz club".

the 7740k is stupid easy to hit 5ghz.... u bearly even need to tick the voltage, and no deliding required.

Easiest and cheapest ticket to 5GHz would be to purchase a pre tested and delidded 7700k or 7600K from Silicon Lottery. Cheaper platform costs, cheaper CPU, actual assurance of target clock speed.

no... the 7740k i say is easier.... as i said u bearly need to play with voltages, and dont need to delid unless u intend to torcher the hell out of the cpu running burntest for stability nonstop.

Even then, its a stupidly fun cpu to play with, the only downside is the board required is obnoxiously expensive, unless u want to butterball the board, then 5ghz YMMV without messing with voltages.

Yeah, it was just a through, sparked by Markfw's post in the Skylake thread, about thinking of getting X299.

I was thinking, hey, why not, how can I do that on the cheap?

Cheap and x299 does not fit in the same sentence nor line PERIOD.

1) Low-end
2) X299
Pick one Coffee Lake

This.... however with that extra 2 core, i dont know if the ever ellusive 5ghz clock will be easy or not.

Larry i am having massive fun with my 7740k while waiting for either the 7940X or 7980XE.... i dont really know if i really want that XE anymore as i am more of a gamer now, and i want that higher clock freq on the 7940X.

But i can tell you this, while sitting on that 7740k i went as high as like 5.2ghz while just taping the voltages on my Auros Gaming 9. Mind you also my board cost more then the CPU! but, the 7740k is fun as hell.

My second advice, wait for people like me to dump our cpu's once vendors start having the 7940X -> 7980XE.
You may be able to get one for a good price second hand, and as i said most of the 7740k's only had a tad voltage boost to get that overclock, so u wont see much degredation unless its from a total overclocking idiot or a hard core bencher who was the previous owner.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thanks Aigo, it does sound like a fun CPU.

Got any cheap(er)-but-decent board suggestions?

Was looking at the under-$300 X299 boards, and then the Newegg CPU+board combos.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I heard the MSI's are decent... there not the best but decent for the price.

The Tai Chi id consider probably one of the best budget graded boards.

Asus ROG and Giggy Auros would be your premium....

So in order of lets have fun overclocking...

Budget Orientated..

Tai Chi -> MSI As the Tai Chi has better VRMS, and MSI will be your flat out cheapest.

Then if you ever intend to go higher up the intel food chain, i would probably grab an Auros G7 or G9 if budget allows, then a ROG as a secondary.... I absolutely love my G9.... its a beast of board not to mention one of the most obnoxious LED bling display one.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Reactions: VirtualLarry

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
@Burpo , that's the kind of deal that should make many of us think twice about buying the upcoming 8700K! I wonder if these sorts of deals will become more prevalent in the coming days? I hope so, as I'm not quite ready to drop that much coin...

Reactions: Arachnotronic
Mar 10, 2006
Reactions: Burpo

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I have to wonder about the extra OC headroom and potentially better thermals of the 8700K vs the 7800X. Decisions, decisions!

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I've never had a "5Ghz" CPU. Not yet, anyways. I'm hoping that KBL-X is an easy ticket to the "5Ghz club".

If you want to arbitrarily have a 5ghz CPU, consider either an I5 2500K or one of the old FX 95X0's. Id prefer the I5 personally.......

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Honestly, and I say this as somebody with several X299 systems, go with Coffee Lake. You'll get better performance in games and have an easier time overclocking.
Yeah, it's just knowing that CPU choice will be limited moving forward, that's the only reservation I have. Apparently I am in a tiny minority, repurposing boards and CPUs regularly.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Honestly, and I say this as somebody with several X299 systems, go with Coffee Lake. You'll get better performance in games and have an easier time overclocking.
Yes, I think that I've decided that as well.

Mods, can lock this thread if they see fit, or leave it open if it promotes discussion.