I think I understand why Hillary gave up her senate seat

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Congress would probably be better served by having its members get hammered and dance in Kenya. WTF not?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I wonder where this thread is heading, but Hillary was always the democrat the GOP loved to hate.

But IMHO, once Hillary got beat on for the 2008 democratic nomination, Hillary is acting in Hillary's best interests.

Face the facts, a 50 something freshman Senator will never have any Senate power, Sec of State polishes her resume, and if anything happens to Obama or he becomes unelectable, Joe Biden is too old to run for Pres, putting Hillary fast tracked as a shoe in for the 2012 democratic nomination for Prez. And as a loyal democratic team player. Failing that, Hillary will not be too old to make a Presidential run in 2016. OR she may hoping to grab a seat on SCOTUS.

Hillary has positioned herself very well, proved her critics wrong, and has a fairly limitless future. Not bad for a girl who never held a single elective office in the last century.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
I wonder where this thread is heading, but Hillary was always the democrat the GOP loved to hate.

But IMHO, once Hillary got beat on for the 2008 democratic nomination, Hillary is acting in Hillary's best interests.

Face the facts, a 50 something freshman Senator will never have any Senate power, Sec of State polishes her resume, and if anything happens to Obama or he becomes unelectable, Joe Biden is too old to run for Pres, putting Hillary fast tracked as a shoe in for the 2012 democratic nomination for Prez. And as a loyal democratic team player. Failing that, Hillary will not be too old to make a Presidential run in 2016. OR she may hoping to grab a seat on SCOTUS.

Hillary has positioned herself very well, proved her critics wrong, and has a fairly limitless future. Not bad for a girl who never held a single elective office in the last century.

You know that Charles Schumer has 2 years on Hilary in terms of years in the Senate, yet he's the number 3 democrat.

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004

Hillary is always acting in Hillary's best interests.

Corrected.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
As I recall, one ranking scenario to determine the protocol hierarchy within the Federal Government is the list of Succession to the Presidency. Sec. State is 4th after the President Pro Temp of the Senate. So, from that perspective Hillary's position is significantly more prestigious than junior senator from NY.

But the above is executive versus legislative and there was some talk she'd have been given the chair in the Appropriations committee since Byrd stepped down to sorta placate her for Kennedy's not wanting her on the Health Care thingi...

At the end of the day... she is the Foreign Minister from the US... having more power than Biden in International Affairs... technically...

I think she also saw Sec. State as being a spring board to her next move, if any or the culmination of her career... either way it is forever, Madam Secretary...

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
We also have to remember that Obama did not have to offer Hillary Sec of State, some will argue that she really really wanted the VP slot, and while Biden has had to be called to the Obama woodshed a few times over gaffes, Hillary seems to be preforming admirably. And has the potential to go down in history as the most effective US secretary of State in quite some time even though the jury is still out yet.

In MHO, Colin Powell could have been a fine Sec of State but sadly got torpedoed by GWB's neocons. As for Condi Rice, she compiled a sad and sorry record and will probably go down in history as the worst Sec of State in the last 60 years or so.

In terms of politicians that are mainly a male dominated profession in the USA, Hillary Clinton seems to be the most respected female politician at this point, or perhaps any point in US history.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
We also have to remember that Obama did not have to offer Hillary Sec of State, some will argue that she really really wanted the VP slot, and while Biden has had to be called to the Obama woodshed a few times over gaffes, Hillary seems to be preforming admirably. And has the potential to go down in history as the most effective US secretary of State in quite some time even though the jury is still out yet.

In MHO, Colin Powell could have been a fine Sec of State but sadly got torpedoed by GWB's neocons. As for Condi Rice, she compiled a sad and sorry record and will probably go down in history as the worst Sec of State in the last 60 years or so.

In terms of politicians that are mainly a male dominated profession in the USA, Hillary Clinton seems to be the most respected female politician at this point, or perhaps any point in US history.

I agree with your analysis except that out of Colin's mouth came his own 'destruction'... I think he played the game they wanted played instead of simply saying good bye... I think had he done that... that fact would have made him way up there with some of the better Sec. States...

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I have some real mixed feeling regarding the LunarRay statement of, "I agree with your analysis except that out of Colin's mouth came his own 'destruction'... I think he played the game they wanted played instead of simply saying good bye... I think had he done that... that fact would have made him way up there with some of the better Sec. States..."

I think I see where LunarRay is coming from, and I can't per say disagree, but there are some Greek tragedy aspects to Colin Powell as an ultimate team player unable to believe his own team would screw him. And like a Western hero strong silent type, he suffered in silence rather than lashing out. Just another part of Powell integrity, easy to confuse, he took it on the chin for the good of the team might be the charitable way to put it.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I have some real mixed feeling regarding the LunarRay statement of, "I agree with your analysis except that out of Colin's mouth came his own 'destruction'... I think he played the game they wanted played instead of simply saying good bye... I think had he done that... that fact would have made him way up there with some of the better Sec. States..."

I think I see where LunarRay is coming from, and I can't per say disagree, but there are some Greek tragedy aspects to Colin Powell as an ultimate team player unable to believe his own team would screw him. And like a Western hero strong silent type, he suffered in silence rather than lashing out. Just another part of Powell integrity, easy to confuse, he took it on the chin for the good of the team might be the charitable way to put it.

I considered that... and am in two minds about it... I suppose I'm sympathetic to that reality too... being a military person as he was especially... for the greater good and all that. The problem I have is when I look at his trying to push the draft resolution in the UN I think back to October of '62 and;

"I want to say to you, Mr. Zorin, that I do not have your talent for obfuscation, for distortion, for confusing language, and for doubletalk. And I must confess to you that I am glad that I do not!

But if I understood what you said, you said that my position had changed, that today I was defensive because we did not have the evidence to prove our assertions, that your Government had installed long-range missiles in Cuba.

Well, let me say something to you, Mr. Ambassador?we do have the evidence. We have it, and it is clear and it is incontrovertible. And let me say something else?those weapons must be taken out of Cuba.

Next, let me say to you that, if I understood you, with a trespass on credibility that excels your stupidness, you said that our position had changed since I spoke here the other day because of the pressures of world opinion and the majority of the United Nations. Well, let me say to you, sir, you are wrong again. We have had no pressure from anyone whatsoever. We came in here today to indicate our willingness to discuss Mr. U Thant?s proposals, and that is the only change that has taken place.

But let me also say to you, sir, that there has been a change. You?the Soviet Union has sent these weapons to Cuba. You?the Soviet Union has upset the balance of power in the world. You?the Soviet Union has created this new danger, not the United States.

And you ask with a fine show of indignation why the President did not tell Mr. Gromyko on last Thursday about our evidence, at the very time that Mr. Gromyko was blandly denying to the President that the U.S.S.R. was placing such weapons on sites in the new world.

Well, I will tell you why?because we were assembling the evidence, and perhaps it would be instructive to the world to see how a Soviet official?how far he would go in perfidy. Perhaps we wanted to know if this country faced another example of nuclear deceit like that one a year ago, when in stealth, the Soviet Union broke the nuclear test moratorium.

And while we are asking questions, let me ask you why your Government?your Foreign Minister?deliberately, cynically deceived us about the nuclear build-up in Cuba.

And, finally, the other day, Mr. Zorin, I remind you that you did not deny the existence of these weapons. Instead, we heard that they had suddenly become defensive weapons. But today again if I heard you correctly, you now say that they do not exist, or that we haven?t proved they exist, with another fine flood of rhetorical scorn...
All right, sir, let me ask you one simple question: Do you, Ambassador Zorin, deny that the U.S.S.R. has placed and is placing medium- and intermediate-range missiles and sites in Cuba? Yes or no?don?t wait for the translation?yes or no?

(Zorin didn't answer.)

You can answer yes or no. You have denied they exist. I want to know if I understood you correctly. I am prepared to wait for my answer until hell freezes over, if that?s your decision. And I am also prepared to present the evidence in this room... "

IF only Powell could have had the FACTS... The evidence would have made him stand aside and take another tact, I think.... Stevenson had Facts.. Powell had... well imo, lies and distortions fed to him... So, but for the circumstanes he found himself in I suppose he did what his country called upon him to do... No chance for glory... only the sword for his tummy...

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Good post LunarRay, and I agree Powell's mock of a poison gas spraying van was pitiful at best.

But to Powell's credit, when he discovered he had been deceived by his own team, he apologized to the UN and got fired by GWB for his troubles. And did it really matter, Condi Rice was defacto Sec of State already.

dsity

Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Where's the evidence of her getting hammered? We see here holding one glass of wine and that's all.

doggystyle by the kenya men

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
She was just there to pick up the real birth certificate.

dont you guys think that secret service vets the candidates to make sure they are citizens?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01

dont you guys think that secret service vets the candidates to make sure they are citizens?

no, not really.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Just goes to show the birthers never get tired of beating a dead horse, even when the corpse stinks, like the enegizer bunny, they keep going and going and going. Even after the supreme court pulled the plug on their last hopes, they still don't STFU. You got to give them an A for effort and an F for fools.

If we could just hook them up to some power generation stations, we could at least get something constructive out of the deal, a Kilowatt or two of electrical energy is better than nothing and more than they are worth.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Actually, no, in fact I don't think the secret service does that.

The scotus has already ruled on the matter, so it's all a moot point now. Citizen or not, he's the president and will continue to be, I don't understand why the birthers keep pushing the issue.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Double Trouble

Actually, no, in fact I don't think the secret service does that.

The scotus has already ruled on the matter, so it's all a moot point now. Citizen or not, he's the president and will continue to be, I don't understand why the birthers keep pushing the issue.

Because they have no life?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Really loki? This thread is something I would have expected from the likes of trolls like BarrySotero, FearNoEvil, or PJABBER.