I think I need a VGA -> Component transcoder

t3h l337 n3wb

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2005
Right now, I have a Pioneer VSX-816-K receiver hooked up to an Infocus Screenplay 4805 projector via component. All audio and video input signals go straight into my receiver, and the video is outputted to the projector. However, whenever I try to use a composite or S-video source (something not component), I get no picture. I'm assuming that my receiver just can't convert from those formats to component. I want to connect a computer to my receiver, but I don't want to have to buy a video card with component out. I have an ATI Rage Pro 128 with VGA out and an nVidia Geforce MX420 with VGA and S-video out. What's the cheapest component transcoder I can get to connect my PC to my receiver?

bigal40

Sep 7, 2004
I have a set up similar to yours and if your receiver cannot upconvert video you cannot send svideo or composite to component.
The easiest way to get component video from your PC to your projector would be to buy a low end video card with component out like the NVIDIA 6600

It is cheaper and probably easy to just get a new video card instead of trying to mess around with a transcoder that is going to cost over $100.

Another option is to use the ultra budget set up like me and just use the Svideo out from your PC straight to the projector.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
s-video and composite are going to be limited to 480i output with composite looking really bad.

I would suggest getting a new videocard as the best option for you.

The cheapest option would be to buy another s-video cable so you can run from the s-video output from the receiver to the projector.

I would highly recommend getting a new videocard so you can send a widescreen progressive signal to the projector.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Yeah this is a typical situation with mainstream receivers these days. I have a similar model Pioneer and have the same issue. The receiver passes the signal through when a specific input is selected, but contains no circuitry to convert signals. It's not just a matter of upconverting: it won't downconvert either. The signal paths don't cross at all. Some newer receivers can convert everything to component out, or HDMI, or whatever, but I think the cheapest one of these I found in a recent search through Crutchfield was around $800.

Just to bolster bigal40's point, here is another converter that also costs more than $100. So indeed you might be better off with a different video card. If those aren't options then you may have to just run the composite right to the projector and switch inputs there.

t3h l337 n3wb

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2005
Okay, I think I'll just get another video card. On Monoprice, I saw a "DVI to component" converter for ATI cards only. I know that ATI sells this on their site as well. If I buy a low end card like a 9250 with DVI, would it work? What would the video quality be like? I'm only going to be using it to play movies and DDR.

*EDIT*
Oh, and how exactly do I tell if an AGP 4x/8x card will work with an AGP 2x/4x mobo? I've heard that they're interchangeable, but I've also heard that the voltages can be different. I have a few old computers lying around, ranging from PII to P4 boxes.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I had an 8x AGP 6800 in a 4x Dell motherboard for awhile. Worked fine. I haven't heard of anyone having problems.