I think I just came up with a pretty good idea for a Star Wars based game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I think the concept has merit. Several points I would suggest.

1. Although it would not 'Tie in' to the movies, you are still in the Star Wars Universe. Therefore you have to account for the possibilities of jedi, the rebels and the Empire. Players will want to play as Jedi. Do you want that or not?

2. The concept would be good for a part of a larger story line, but you would have to look beyond simply Tatooine, or it would be a bit on the short side. it has been established in both the movies and the books that Tatooine is just desert. And even if you managed to make an entire game of that, you would eventually want a sequel that would lead elsewhere in the Star Wars Universe. Where is the plot hook?

3. What kind of game are you thinking about? FPS? RPG? Sandbox (GTA style)? Platformer? From what you sketched out, I'd say it would fall nicely into the RPG (Baldur's gate) type of game, but that is just me. What is your vision?

4. What kind of graphics engine are you imagining? Are you thinking like a Skyrim type 3D perspective? Or top down like Diablo 3? Turn based strategy?

In the end, it sounds a little bit like Borderlands only in the Star Wars universe.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It won't matter. They will shut you down as soon as you make it public unless you have the outrageous license fees ready to hand over.

--Signed--

ImpulsE "Crusher of Dreams" 69

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I think the concept has merit. Several points I would suggest.

1. Although it would not 'Tie in' to the movies, you are still in the Star Wars Universe. Therefore you have to account for the possibilities of jedi, the rebels and the Empire. Players will want to play as Jedi. Do you want that or not?

2. The concept would be good for a part of a larger story line, but you would have to look beyond simply Tatooine, or it would be a bit on the short side. it has been established in both the movies and the books that Tatooine is just desert. And even if you managed to make an entire game of that, you would eventually want a sequel that would lead elsewhere in the Star Wars Universe. Where is the plot hook?

3. What kind of game are you thinking about? FPS? RPG? Sandbox (GTA style)? Platformer? From what you sketched out, I'd say it would fall nicely into the RPG (Baldur's gate) type of game, but that is just me. What is your vision?

4. What kind of graphics engine are you imagining? Are you thinking like a Skyrim type 3D perspective? Or top down like Diablo 3? Turn based strategy?

In the end, it sounds a little bit like Borderlands only in the Star Wars universe.

No playing as a Jedi, although you might encounter some during the story.

The entire experience would be heavily story-driven, not like Borderlands. Just off of the top of my head:

Your brother gets you hired as a rookie crew member on a freighter that makes a stop at Mos Eisley. You're sent out to run an errand, get side-tracked, and when you return the freighter is gone and the docking bay shows signs of a heavy firefight. You're on your own with a few bucks in your pocket.

What happened to the freighter and it's crew? Were they forced to leave or were they murdered? Did the ship get moved to a different part of Mos Eisley or Tatooine? Who was behind it? A hut? Smugglers?

And perhaps Mos Eisley was built on some old ruins and catacombs that contain some secrets about the origin of the Huts. You may have to enter them as part of your quest to find out what happened to your brother.

As to #3 - my initial vision would be third person RPG, like Mass Effect, although FPS and isometric party based would definitely be possible.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Sounds like a decent game. It also sounds like you have a bit of a writer in you. You should flesh out the idea with details, chapter breaks, villains etc... and some of the other interesting interactions that you envision.

If nothing else, that might be a fun exercise and something that you might feel like posting on one of the Star Wars fan sites. Hopefully you get something more out of it all. good luck with it.