I think I just came across the guy who tried to abduct me when I was a young child in Morristown, TN

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
I think I was lost on an exhibition floor once (my memory is hazy since I was 5 or 6, I think). I turned around and I couldn't find my parents. I just stood there and started crying. People gathered around me and started asking me questions about my parents. I don't remember if they announced a missing kid or what but after some time, my mom found me. This could also have been my brother. I seriously don't remember. This event is just in one of my innumerable, rotting memory banks.

Personally, I'm glad that I don't have kids (yet). It would be a full time job worrying about them. When I'm outside, I sometimes see toddlers (barely a year or two old) trying to catch up with their parents, falling over and getting up. Making a real struggle. And all the while, the parent(s) is/are walking carefree, totally oblivious that their kid is far behind them. It fills me with rage. How irresponsible can these people get? Why do they even have such adorable kids if they don't deserve them?

• Wow
Reactions: Muse and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I never understood how people could leave their VERY little kids unattended in public.... if the kid can't fully speak and/or is too small to "put up a fight" and attract attention they should never be out of direct care-takers sight in a crowded/unsecured place.

:oops:

For most (roughly depending on the kid) 11-12 year-olds fine give them some freedom so they learn how to deal with the world with you as a safety-net but any younger is just asking for trouble.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
For most (roughly depending on the kid) 11-12 year-olds fine give them some freedom so they learn how to deal with the world with you as a safety-net but any younger is just asking for trouble.
Some people can't be bothered to wait that long. Just a week or so ago, I saw an African woman (and probably her friend or relative) cheering on their 1 or 2 year old baby girl to get up and walk towards them and giving her signs that otherwise they would leave her there, in the middle of a frickin' crowded connected corridor in the mall!

Reactions: Captante

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I never understood how people could leave their VERY little kids unattended in public.... if the kid can't fully speak and/or is too small to "put up a fight" and attract attention they should never be out of direct care-takers sight in a crowded/unsecured place.
It's pretty amazing. I snagged a 5? year old barely keeping her head above water out of a pool once, only one there. Mom showed up a minute later. Snagged a toddler by the back of the shirt as it fell out of the top of a grocery cart once too. Kids are tough but probably wouldn't have landed unscathed.

For the most part. Had a childhood friend who was being sexually abused during that time period by another kid, a bit older. That kid got disappeared shortly thereafter, just another statistic.

A lot of dark stories out there.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It's pretty amazing. I snagged a 5? year old barely keeping her head above water out of a pool once, only one there. Mom showed up a minute later. Snagged a toddler by the back of the shirt as it fell out of the top of a grocery cart once too. Kids are tough but probably wouldn't have landed unscathed.

For the most part. Had a childhood friend who was being sexually abused during that time period by another kid, a bit older. That kid got disappeared shortly thereafter, just another statistic.

A lot of dark stories out there.

Friend of my ex-wife's toddler fell out of a shopping cart onto his head when she turned her back "for a second". He broke his neck and he was permanently paralyzed from the neck down.

ANY time I see a kid standing in a shopping cart I say something.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Out of all the things that shaped me in life, this whole thing is #1 by far. After this, I never trusted strangers and I always began watching my surroundings and people. In many ways, I was never truly a kid again as I began being anxious around any adults I did not know. It was kind of the end of being a carefree kid.

i started to feel the same way around 6 or 7 too, though i didn't have anything as terrible as someone actually trying to abduct me.

amy mihaljevic was kidnapped in fall '89 and her body was found in a field not too far from where my grandparents lived. so that had everyone freaked out.

during the summer of '90, me and my cousins noticed a guy who had parked his van on the road while we were playing in the yard at our grandparents.

we didn't pay much attention at first, but eventually realized that the guy had been there for a long time. and that he was watching us, with binoculars.

so my cousin went and told grandma, and as soon as she came outside and looked at the guy, he got in the van and sped away.

after that we weren't allowed to play outside without an adult out there for a couple years.

and i always felt like someone was waiting to kidnap me, at least until i got big enough to have a decent chance of fighting someone off.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's crazy how things like that can affect entire towns, and kids especially. Kids shouldn't have to worry about such things, but many do.

Expanding on my what I wrote in my OP, it wasn't the only time someone tried to grab me.

When I was 11 and living in back in Ohio, my family life was pretty much at rock bottom. After my parents sold the land in Tennessee and moved us back to Ohio, their marriage began to unravel shortly after the move again, and one evening my dad was arrested for domestic violence against my mom. He was handcuffed and removed from the apartment. The next day my brother and I went to school, and when we go back home, everything was removed from our apartment (furniture, TV, kitchen stuff, beds, etc.). The only thing that was left was the beds in me and my brother's room.

Apparently, when my dad got out of jail, he came back and took everything as payback to my mom for calling the police. When my mom called the police over this, they said it was a civil matter and had to be dealt with in family court. I don't think I saw or heard from my dad for 9 months after that happened.

Anyways, things with my mom got really bad. Her mental health declined, and she was either at work or out drinking/doing drugs. My brother and I were pretty much left on our own. We began not having food, and utilities like electricity began being disconnected due to non payment. My mom would usually pay enough to get it turned back on for a bit, but it was a constant cycle of having electricity or it being turned off. The phone service was turned off, and we never had it restored. After 6 months of this or so, we eventually were evicted and moved to the worst of the worst areas of Ohio.

During the period after my dad was arrested and removed, I was riding my bike on the main road through town. I was pretty embarrassed by our situation and basically being without parents, so I spent a lot of time riding my bike everywhere to kill time (no TV/food/power at home sucked). One day I was riding my bike and a car passed me coming from the opposite direct, and kind of slowed down and looked at me weirdly. Of course I noticed it since I was always watching my surroundings, but they went past me. However, a few minutes later I heard a car coming up the road from behind me. I turned my head a little and saw it was the same car. I kept riding my bike, but I listened and watched them out of my peripheral vision. As I did this, I also thought of what I would do if they stopped the car, and planned where I would turn. The car slowly came towards me, and then it swerved towards me and the guy sitting in the passenger seat opened his door and tried to grab me. I immediately turned my back away from them, and went down an embankment avoiding them. The person shut the door, and the car quickly drove off.

The craziest thing about the whole thing was I never told any adults about it. I never called the police (I was afraid they'd take me and my brother to social services when they noticed our living conditions), I never told my mom because she was already in a very bad place, and I had no idea where my dad was. I've always felt extremely guilty about my actions, and wondered if by me not reporting it, someone else ended up getting hurt. But at that age and in the situation I was in, I really just didn't know any better.

Thankfully, that was the last time something like that happened. At 12 I began growing pretty quickly, and was 5'10" by age 13 and I think I was too big to be an easy target.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Thankfully, that was the last time something like that happened. At 12 I began growing pretty quickly, and was 5'10" by age 13 and I think I was too big to be an easy target.

Holy crap.... heavy-duty man. :oops: Thanks for sharing that though!

Reality is that actual "stranger-abduction" is EXTREMELY rare and you had it nearly happen not once but twice!

Hopefully you've now used up your lifetime "allocation" of weird/scary $hit!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Like I said before, I'd all but given up every getting any closure of what happened, ...
"Closure" is way over-hyped. Don't let anybody sell you any. Things that hurt you deeply stay with you, you don't get over them, you learn to live with them and move on. I think you're doing well. If you can add some weight to this guy staying incarcerated, that would be a positive. Sounds to me like this is the guy who tried to snag you. Maybe if you keep digging you'll come up with a clearer picture of when you were there. Dealing with lawyers and the law isn't something I know much about, others' ideas here look helpful.

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Holy crap.... heavy-duty man. :oops: Thanks for sharing that though!

Reality is that actual "stranger-abduction" is EXTREMELY rare and you had it nearly happen not once but twice!

Hopefully you've now used up your lifetime "allocation" of weird/scary $hit!
Yeah, I had a pretty challenging childhood to put it mildly. Lots of challenging times both from my family situations, and from strangers. Maybe one day I write about some of the other "memorable" times from back then, but the couple of abduction attempts are plenty enough to remember right now.

Thankfully, after my childhood ended and I left for the military, I never really experienced anything like what happened back then.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, I had a pretty challenging childhood to put it mildly. Lots of challenging times both from my family situations, and from strangers. Maybe one day I write about some of the other "memorable" times from back then, but the couple of abduction attempts are plenty enough to remember right now.

Thankfully, after my childhood ended and I left for the military, I never really experienced anything like what happened back then.
After all that trauma and difficulty you came out impressively functional, sane. Congrats are in order!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
After all that trauma and difficulty you came out impressively functional, sane. Congrats are in order!
In my defense, I pretty well stayed drunk and high from age 13 until I was 18.

When I went to the military, I couldn't stay high anymore, but the drinking might have increased a tad bit for a few years.

And for being "sane", the jury is still out on that one. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Muse and Captante

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999

UsandThem I'm sorry you went through that stuff.​

If it were me one thing I would try is contacting the Sheriff's office in the hopes that they have an old file about that original attempted abduction, to obtain the date that it happened and any other useful info.

And then either through the Sherriff's office or by contacting the parole board I would see if they could provide a current side pic of that creep's face (the side seen during the attempted abduction) in the hopes that that side pic might confirm or negate that this is the guy from back then.

I would think (hope) that the parole board would like to turn over that stone just in case this guy gets identified as that guy.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
^^^^ Uhhh, u and t checked out quite some months ago.

was he abducted???
ojpc64O.png

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I think he had some kind of breakdown after seeing the guy who fvcked with him.

REALLY hoping he's doing okay ..... if you're still "lurking about" out there how about checking in brother?? (you're missed!)

@UsandThem Email or PM if you want ..... ANY time and for any reason. :hearteyes:

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
A: psychologist
B: say hi to the sheriff, additional charges may be possible
C: go to the parole hearing and show you still care and you feel he should be locked up.

Yeah, dead thread and I think he deleted his account.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm not comfortable with "dead thread" ..... I for one consider U&T my friend and I'm not giving up hope.

I just want him to be okay. :) So keep this thread alive in case he comes lurking .... be great to see you online buddy!

🤓

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I hope he's ok too. Hope he at least reaches out to someone here to say he's ok. If he has his reasons for leaving that's his personal private decision but we just want to be sure he's fine.

Sometimes traumatic experiences from childhood can come back and really mess with you. My dad was sexually assaulted as a kid, and a while back it came back to him and hit him hard. These things sometimes sit dormant in your mind and come back to haunt you. Not fun to go through.