I think I finally realized what is ruining PC gaming for me...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
If you really don't like it than just don't do it. In general when starting a new game I will look at an FAQ for some general tips and tricks, but I don't look at the walkthrough at all unless I get really stuck. The exception would be games like Fallout 3 where I look at the wiki in order to make sure I get all the side quests done before completing the main quest. But even then I'm not looking up how to complete the quests, just where they are so I don't miss them.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If you really don't like it than just don't do it. In general when starting a new game I will look at an FAQ for some general tips and tricks, but I don't look at the walkthrough at all unless I get really stuck. The exception would be games like Fallout 3 where I look at the wiki in order to make sure I get all the side quests done before completing the main quest. But even then I'm not looking up how to complete the quests, just where they are so I don't miss them.

The Fallout wikia has been a godsend for me. Theres like a dozen unmarked quests and some of the more complicated ones can be permanently broken if you dont do them properly.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
When i look some stuff up i usually go "Now how in the world would i have ever known that without looking at this guide!"

One recent example: The Witcher 2, early in the game you can make a decision that gives you a strong back perk that allows you to carry more items.
I see no way or hint you could possibly know that before making that decision.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
When i look some stuff up i usually go "Now how in the world would i have ever known that without looking at this guide!"

I find that happens quite often as well. I picked up the Splinter Cell compilation recently off Steam and I have been playing through the 1st game. I got to one spot where I was just wondering around on a roof and had no idea where to go. As it turns out I was supposed to rappel from a chimney down the side of the button. Couldn't figure it out myself because apparently I didn't touch the right pixel for the context menu to popup.

nintendo64.jpg

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
I find that happens quite often as well. I picked up the Splinter Cell compilation recently off Steam and I have been playing through the 1st game. I got to one spot where I was just wondering around on a roof and had no idea where to go. As it turns out I was supposed to rappel from a chimney down the side of the button. Couldn't figure it out myself because apparently I didn't touch the right pixel for the context menu to popup.

nintendo64.jpg

And yet millions of other gamers figured it out on their own :rolleyes:

Sep 29, 2008
In a single player game, I avoid walkthroughs until I get stuck for 30+ minutes. At that point, gaming experience will lack flow. I don't look beyond where I am in the story, because, well, what's the point of playing if you know what's going to happen?

I could be missing this item or that opportunity by not looking at FAQs, but if it doesn't flow and happen naturally as part of the game play, the experience is forced, IMO. For that reason, I don't care for points, achievements, and collectibles.

I'm less interested in competitive PvP MMOs these days because you have to spend so much time researching "proper" builds for your toons outside of the actual game to enjoy the game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah but you make out like it's the developers fault you suck at games.

If a particular game is poorly designed it may well be their fault.
Or if its a good game that people are not used to (Elder Scrolls and Fallout) then folks may still need extra help cuz the in game maps and quest journals arent good enough.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have the same problem. I'm a game completionist; I want to finish it 100% or not finish it at all. I used to have time to do this. Now, I feel as though I'm lucky to get through a full game (I think Mass Effect 2 was the last one I did) because of work and everything, so I tend to look online not for like, hints for a puzzle, but to make sure I don't miss anything because I don't have the time to do what I used to do - play the game multiple times until I found out how to get everything.

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
Yeah, I'm a tad (ok, a lot) OCD and the introduction of achievements to games has driven me insane. I never used to buy game guides, but now I feel I have to in order to "get the most out of a game" (e.g. the most achievement points). I don't use them for plot spoilage, but instead for their map layouts or mention of secret missions.

Ironically, I feel that games have become a chore now because I have to "work" for all of the achievements. Because of that, I haven't played a game in over 6 months now. I just can't make myself go through all the effort that it ends up requiring.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I think that's my current problem with RPGs. My first thing I do is to poke around the net to find good character builds, so really I'm just going through the motions to fill in the blanks of a character somebody else made. I need to force myself to stop because I'm losing interest in RPGs and I believe that's part of the problem.

Trying to go through The Witcher 2 without looking at any guides or builds right now, but it's hard not to. I know that any character I make pretty much will be fine down the road... but I can't shake the feeling that if I do something wrong my character won't kick as much ass as he could. There's also been times where I basically stumble into a side mission walking through the town or something which could have been easily missed. Makes me think that I should be looking at a guide to make sure I'm getting all the missions I can. It's an odd worry because I have a huge game backlog that's getting larger rather than smaller... so I have no reason to squeeze extra minutes from my games.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I have the same problem. I'm a game completionist; I want to finish it 100% or not finish it at all. I used to have time to do this. Now, I feel as though I'm lucky to get through a full game (I think Mass Effect 2 was the last one I did) because of work and everything, so I tend to look online not for like, hints for a puzzle, but to make sure I don't miss anything because I don't have the time to do what I used to do - play the game multiple times until I found out how to get everything.
i *used to* have these issues. i was the first player on the TES Oblivion forum to report 1,000 hours into the game and i have a few "discoveries" to my credit as i covered every square meter of Cyrodiil.

Now i just want to get through the damn game without wasting a lot of time hunting for secrets and hidden things. Alice comes to mind as an exercise in frustration - miss a jump, go back. If i miss something, i can watch it on Youtube and if i have to search too long, i hit the walkthrough

A few exceptions being Bulletstorm and DNF; you don't need a compass. And once i figured out what the blue dot in my screen in Crysis 2 was for, it was easy and i only hit the walkthrough once (i missed a ledge and once the game got buggy on a building collapse that i had to confirm was the right direction and right action to take)

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I think I finally realized what is ruining PC gaming for me...it's your mom, she leaves me exhausted and I can't play.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
youtube ruined Hitman:Contracts for me. I originally just wanted a hint on how to beat one level. I ended up shadow-playing every level with video walkthroughs to get silent assassin rating. I got no satisfaction out of beating it and now know better never to do that again.