I think I am melting..

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah intense heat sucks. Hope you have A/C! I had trouble justifying it myself but ended up caving a few years back. Worth it. This month's hydro bill is going to hurt though... I'm on equal billing so won't really see it immediately though.

It's cooled off a bit today. 17C instead of 30+.

I don't know how people live in places that get up to 40. That's just insanity.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Weird up until like 10 days ago we really didn't have any hot spells. (New Haven CT)

In fact I only broke down and installed my AC this past Tuesday I think? Pretty sure its the first time in my adult-life I made it through June without it, at least for sleeping.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Weird up until like 10 days ago we really didn't have any hot spells. (New Haven CT)

In fact I only broke down and installed my AC this past Tuesday I think? Pretty sure its the first time in my adult-life I made it through June without it, at least for sleeping.

New Haven? Heh...My 5th grade class bussed to New Haven to see "How the West Was Won" when it came out. Apparently it wasn't showing at any theater in Springfield, Mass at the time. AFAIK, it's the only time I was there, although I do (did?) have relatives in some small town not far from Mass...don't remember which town.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Yeah intense heat sucks. Hope you have A/C! I had trouble justifying it myself but ended up caving a few years back. Worth it. This month's hydro bill is going to hurt though... I'm on equal billing so won't really see it immediately though.

It's cooled off a bit today. 17C instead of 30+.

I don't know how people live in places that get up to 40. That's just insanity.

We turn on the A/C and stay inside.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Fall is cooooommmmmiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggg. yes yhes ohhh ... summer's too hot to handle

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Great if you have that option, but imagine construction workers etc. I don't envy those guys at all. Especially if their work requires them to wear pants or other covering for health and safety reasons.

The worst by far is the poor slobs laying asphalt in this heat .... good lord!

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Hot, humid in Boston, my eyes are red and burning, hit the inhaler once already. Please, Fall, get here ...

Waaahhhhh. When I was on the east coast in 1968 the temp and humidity would have a race to see which could get to 100 before noon.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Waaahhhhh. When I was on the east coast in 1968 the temp and humidity would have a race to see which could get to 100 before noon.

Actually 100f anywhere on the east coast is pretty rare unless you're in Florida

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
We've been at 94F here in CT all week, and it's not even August :(

Trust me I'm well aware lol ... I was speaking of historically.

Funny I recall my engineer-uncle telling me i that our climate would be like South Carolina in 30-40 years in like 1975

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Oh man, I think that or roofing would be the worst jobs in that heat. Especially if you have a "by the book" boss that just allows a 15 minute break in the morning, half hour lunch and 15 minute afternoon break.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I always hated asphalt jobs...air temp around 100f, asphalt temp around 300f...plus the heat of the engine and hydraulics on the paver...and the stink of the asphaltic oil...:eek:

I mean...working 16 hour days, 6-7 days per week was good money, but fuck that shit.

Mar 11, 2004
Feels like the humidity here cranked up. Feels worse than the 110 days we were having. Has been causing a lot more sinus shit too.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Actually nice and comfortable with the windows open and a fan going right now.

Just checked humidity 59% dewpoint 61 ... nice break!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
To be honest, it's anyone that has to work outdoors. Landscaping, construction, asphalt, farmers, etc...

Meh...I worked outdoors for over 30 years, most of that operating heavy equipment, and mush of that in the seat of a crane...surrounded by glass and hot-as-fuck hydraulics. If it was 100f outside, it was probably 125 or more in the cab. Hydration is key.
I'd much rather bake and sweat outside in the hear...and freezy my nuts off during the winter than to work in a fucking office. I've had two jobs that required me to be in an office...one was business agent for my union where I could get out in the field periodically, the other as a bookkeeper in a CPA firm...which I hated. Fuck being stuck inside.

Reactions: lxskllr

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
FTS, I can't stand intense heat rather be inside in A/C. Keep the outdoor work for fall/spring or even winter. Hydration does not do anything about the constant sweating and feeling nasty. Really if it was not for sweating the heat would not be that bad. It's the sweating that makes it so miserable.

We're getting a break now from the heat wave. Still warm in my house though. I should have opened the windows before heading for my night shift. I'm at work now.

Living Room: 22.5625°C (=)
Hallway: 23.9375°C (=)
Server Room: 26.375°C (=)
HVAC Return: 22.5625°C (=)
HVAC Supply: 23.25°C (=)
Outside: 16.75°C (=)
Delta Temp: 0.6875°C

Actually one thing I want to eventually do is add an economizer to my hvac. Would be a great time to run it right now. Basically an intake with an insulated damper that bypasses the rest of the house returns, then an exhaust hatch that opens up in the ceiling. In that mode it would just run the blower to suck outside air in and exhaust hot air out.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
FTS, I can't stand intense heat rather be inside in A/C. Keep the outdoor work for fall/spring or even winter. Hydration does not do anything about the constant sweating and feeling nasty. Really if it was not for sweating the heat would not be that bad. It's the sweating that makes it so miserable.

We're getting a break now from the heat wave. Still warm in my house though. I should have opened the windows before heading for my night shift. I'm at work now.

Living Room: 22.5625°C (=)
Hallway: 23.9375°C (=)
Server Room: 26.375°C (=)
HVAC Return: 22.5625°C (=)
HVAC Supply: 23.25°C (=)
Outside: 16.75°C (=)
Delta Temp: 0.6875°C

Actually one thing I want to eventually do is add an economizer to my hvac. Would be a great time to run it right now. Basically an intake with an insulated damper that bypasses the rest of the house returns, then an exhaust hatch that opens up in the ceiling. In that mode it would just run the blower to suck outside air in and exhaust hot air out.

Sounds kind of like a whole-house fan set up..

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Today feels like another scorcher already...hiding in the house
That's my plan.

85° right now, with 90° expected. Humidity ~52%. could be worse I guess. Felt coolish when I went out on the porch to finish getting groceries in from this morning. Decided to bring the big wood up to the porch I cut earlier this week. Out in the sun's a whole different game. Got the biggest stuff up and quit. That violates my policy of not sweating on weekends if I'm not having fun. I'll get it some time next week after work when I'm already sweaty and disgusting.