i think diabetes is creeping up on me and i'm only 23

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
Damn my feet are always COLD...i'm sitting here in the office with ATHLETIC socks and dress shoes and my feet are still cold...plus i have these sweet cravings all the time and i'm always thirsty...my grandpa had it and my dad has it also...FOOK! is this feet thing bad?

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
you can get diabetes at very young ages (like childhood ages), but I don't know the symptoms to tell ya anything more.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
See a doctor if you're really that worried.

My sister has a similar thing with her feet, but she just has bad circulation to her feet.

Again, see a doctor if you're really that worried.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Mrs. Skoorb also has cold feet. My hands and feet are the first to get cold when I'm at all chilled. I don't think it's a problem, but if you are concerned a doctor could tell ya.

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
are you losing weight?
do you get up at night (several times each night) to urinate?
is your vision blurring?
HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR?

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
My grandpa and dad had diabetes, so I've looked into the symptoms, if you're always thirsty, I would recommend changing your diet to a more healthy nature and go see a doctor asap!

khtm

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2001
I thought cold feet was a sign of bad circulation, not diabetes.

-khtm-

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001

<< I thought cold feet was a sign of bad circulation, not diabetes.

-khtm-
>>

uncontrolled diabetes causes poor circulation

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< uncontrolled diabetes causes poor circulation >>

Generally only when uncontrolled over a long period of time.

Type one diabetes is something that you would have a difficult time not noticing. You will lose weight (I lost 20lb in 3 weeks), be constantly dehydrated (I was drinking 3 gallons of water/day), be urinating excess ketones all the time, and exceptionally tired.

Type two diabetes, on the other hand, creeps up on you more slowly.

In either event, get tested now. Diabetes is NOT something to be trifled with.

Rob

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001

<<

In either event, get tested now. Diabetes is NOT something to be trifled with.
>>

Of course, besides poor circulation, one could also have the thrill of neuropathies, impotence, heart disease, stroke, blindness, immunodepression, and coma. Seeing a doctor early greatly reduces these risks. They can do a simple blood test (finger prick) to see if further tests are warranted.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com

<< Damn my feet are always COLD...i'm sitting here in the office with ATHLETIC socks and dress shoes and my feet are still cold...plus i have these sweet cravings all the time and i'm always thirsty...my grandpa had it and my dad has it also...FOOK! is this feet thing bad? >>

Hey... I thought I was developing it too. Turns out I was hypoglycemic, severely, which leads to diabetes. You should check into a homeopathic cure. Yes, I did say cure. I was officially diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I then consulted a homeopathic practicioner. After 5 weeks of treatment, I was feeling tons better. I went in to my regular family doctor, got tested... it was gone. I have never had a problem since.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
you can get diabetes at very young ages (like childhood ages), but I don't know the symptoms to tell ya anything more.

Type I (insulin dependent) diabetes is normally developed in childhood. Type II diabetes (non-insulent dependent) typically develops in adulthood, normally 40+ actually... and more often occurs in the obese and women.

Symptoms for Type I diabetes:
frequent urination
unusual thirst
excessive drinking of fluids
weight loss
fatigue
weakness
irritability
nausea
uncontrollable craving for food (sweets especially)
fainting

Symptoms for Type II diabetes:
frequent urination
dryness of the mouth
fatigue
impotence
irregular menstruation
loss of sensation
frequent infectino of the skin, gums, or urinary system
pain or cramps in legs, feet, or fingers
slow healing of cuts and bruises
intense itching and drowsiness

Like Jfur said, diabetes can be extremely dangerous, especially if Type I. Amputation of limbs, blindness, comas, and even death is possible.

Sir Fredrick

Oct 14, 1999
How about hypoglycemia? My GF may be hypoglycemic, but she hates doctors with a passion so she won't go to get tested...if there even is a way to test for that.

AvidOC

Banned
Apr 10, 2001
:Q Damn you guys!, you got me worried now, i am almost always tired, but then again that could be lack of sleep ;) i feet are cold (but so are my fingertips but dont have to pee every 30 mins and of course i do have a swet tooth but what kid doesnt....
i think im gonna go get myself tested now :frown:

EDIT: Im only 13 too (sob sob sob)

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
I don't think sugar craving or even consumption means that you ARE diabetic, but it certainly predisposes you towards development of Tpe 2 diabetes because it puts a lot of stress of your body (part of that is weight gain itself and there is also the issue of insulin sensitivity). So even if you are not diagnosed with diabetes, eat a healthy diet (or at least a reaonable one), expecially if you have a family history.

edit: in the case of type 1, it is definitely not sugar consumption but a case of your body's autoimmune system not working properly and destroying your ability to produce insulin.

they have reclassified things in the last decade and now "young" people can have either type.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< Turns out I was hypoglycemic, severely, which leads to diabetes. >>

Um, how?

I'm type 1 (read: I produce no insulin; there is nothing I can do to change that). Improper diet can lead to diabetes (type 2); hypoglycemia, though, is the opposite of diabetes, more or less. It is the bodies tendency to overproduce insulin after sugar-spikes in food consumption, from what I understand; similarly to diabetes (type 2), it can be regulated somewhat through proper diet. I don't really understand how hypoglycemia can lead to diabetes, though.

Rob

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001

<<

<< Turns out I was hypoglycemic, severely, which leads to diabetes. >>

Um, how?

I'm type 1 (read: I produce no insulin; there is nothing I can do to change that). Improper diet can lead to diabetes (type 2); hypoglycemia, though, is the opposite of diabetes, more or less. It is the bodies tendency to overproduce insulin after sugar-spikes in food consumption, from what I understand; similarly to diabetes (type 2), it can be regulated somewhat through proper diet. I don't really understand how hypoglycemia can lead to diabetes, though.

Rob
>>

Hypoglycemia is certainly one complication of (treated) diabetes, IDDM or NIDDM. Some people have argued it is a precursor to type 2 onset, although that is not confirmed. However, many hypoglycemics have a poor diet (similar to those who develop type 2 diabetes) so that may be the link.

Murphyrulez

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
My dad has cold feet. They never warm up. But it is because he has very low blood pressure. Like 35 bpm or something. The doctor who checked him last said he is either a super-athelete getting ready for a decathalon, or he is almost dead. Nobody has 35 bpm heartrate. Heck mine is like 90 or something... ack..

paul

randadore

Jan 4, 2001
thanks for the heads up, guys. i have some of those symptoms, but i doesn't seem like i'm developing diabetes yet. i've always been curious but not worried enough to have it checked out. perhaps i should see the doctor too.