I suck at ebay...

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
I suck at ebay. I have lost two auctions so far. Any tips? I'm not very good. :(

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I must be doing something right.

I posted a bunch of stuff early thismorning, and 3 auctions have already ended(buy it now). :)

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Hmmm....

I would argue that coldcut is doing things right, and eli is doing things wrong.

Coldcut is not paying too much for stuff, and Eli is selling stuff and making less money than he could.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by: coldcut
I suck at ebay. I have lost two auctions so far. Any tips? I'm not very good. :(

Do you know what proxy bidding is?

Best tip I can offer is called sniping where one bids at the last second, thus leaving no time for the other bidders to react.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: brigden

Best tip I can offer is called sniping where one bids at the last second, thus leaving no time for the other bidders to react.

That's the way!

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Follow this simple rule.

Depending on the price and value of the item..

given the example, lets say an MP3 player that's like $100 bucks retail but it's 53.50 with few minutes remaining.

You bid like 60.01 since almost everyone bids increments of ether .25, .50 or 1.00

You take the chance of being outbid if someone's proxy bid is higher but usually it's not.

IBuyUFO

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Make sure you bid what you're willing to pay and don't get carried away. Now, putting $1 on an item that costs $500 won't get you a win so don't be cheap. :D

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001

That is the gayest thing I have ever heard, sniping is for inconsiderate pricks, if you are willing to pay more, don't waste my time by waiting till the last second, I will go find another item.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DaiShan

That is the gayest thing I have ever heard, sniping is for inconsiderate pricks, if you are willing to pay more, don't waste my time by waiting till the last second, I will go find another item.

thats what ebay is all about...getting it as cheap as possible...if you are willing to pay more, go to the damn store and buy it

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by: DaiShan

Good for you, slick. I will win the auction and pay less by not driving the price up.