I [still] love it. [iPad mini]

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by Ichinisan, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

You probably know I'm talking about iPad mini. I love it even more than I thought I would.

Retina or A6 would be nice, but this size is so much better, I don't miss those things. I handled a 10" 4th-generation iPad today and it just seemed like a poor design in comparison. The borders were too thick and I have no interest in a tablet that big.

This thing will certainly be the most popular iPad when Apple makes one with Retina and the latest processor.

Get the Smart Cover. Do it.

#1 Ichinisan, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. Zink

Zink Senior member

Smart cover or smart case? From using it at the store it does feel so much friendlier to hold because it's so light. The new design is really thin though, I think it would be nice with a full case on it.

Also when I was at the store looking at the mini someone walked in and asked right away which display iPads were the iPad 2 so they could make sure it was what their kid wanted. I didn't even hear the Apple rep ask them if they'd rather have a mini. I have no clue why they still sell those.

#2 Zink, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  3. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

Cover. They don't make a Smart Case for mini...yet.

Because it's $100 cheaper than the latest full-size iPad. I do think a mini is more-appropriate for those folks. She probably just didn't know about it. They could discontinue the iPad 2 after more people know about the mini.

4. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Apparently the iPad 2 was still selling like hotcakes, so if they see that the Mini cannibalizes the iPad 2 sales, then they will pull it (the iPad 2).

5. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

So the 3 was pulled and replaced with the 4 and the mini? SMH.

6. TheStu

What does SMH mean?

7. dbk

dbk Lifer

Shaking My Head

8. TheStu

Ah, then I still don't get it.

They replaced the 3 with a better 3 (aka the 4) with a faster CPU and the Thunderbolt port. And then added the Mini to the family.

They kept the iPad 2 since they are probably pretty cheap to make (relatively speaking) by now, and still sell very well.

9. ChAoTiCpInOy

ChAoTiCpInOy Diamond Member

Wasn't pulled. It was replaced by the 4. The mini is its own category.

10. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

IMO its pulled as it is no longer for sale but the ipad2 still is.

11. Eug

Eug Lifer

I've been saying this years, only to incur the wrath of devout Apple fans.

12. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

Still digging it. I love the mini.

Surely, Apple will respond to the higher-than-expected sales and release the next version with the latest processor and Retina. I'll buy that one and pass this little joy to my mother.

13. joshhedge

joshhedge Senior member

I will probably get the rev2. of the iPad Mini for Uni next year. 15"rPro is a little to big for general usage. Glad to see that people are finding the mini to be a good device. :)

14. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

I'm loving it and my eyes have adjusted to the screen (somewhat I think I just mentally gave up lol). Buying one for my GF as a Christmas gift too.

15. QueHuong

QueHuong Platinum Member

Anyone with an iPad Mini with a use case similar to mine?

- science student who sometimes read books on the iPad, where color pictures, graphs, and diagrams are important
    - listens to lecture recordings while reading powerpoint notes
    - a lot of reading with Instapaper, Reeder RSS reader
    - normal amount of web browsing
    - a little gaming

I chose to get the iPad 3 refurbed for cheap when the iPad 4 was announced. I love the retina display and because of my science textbooks, I chose iPad Maxi over the Mini. It is big, bulky, and heavy, but to me, it was worth the tradeoff for the larger and better screen. I'm wondering if there's someone in a similar situation who chose the Mini instead and what were your experience?

16. dbk

dbk Lifer

iPad 4 for power users... iPad mini for casual users.. like girlfriends lol

17. rsutoratosu

rsutoratosu Platinum Member

i haven't own a ipad since the first one, picked up the 4th because the mini did not come out in time for the gf's bday. Now that the mini is out, I wouldn't buy it till they put the higher retina display on it. rumor already floating that next gen will have retina display.. i can' wait :)

18. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

I still think the mini wins overall because the best tablet is the one you can easily carry with you. I would never carry an iPad freely in my hand around town because its so heavy, but I literally carry the iPad mini wherever I go. I'd also recommend getting a cellular version if you can, far more worthwhile than on the large iPad where I just used WiFi most of the time.

19. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

Debating if I should get an ipad mini for the wife for xmas.

20. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

I think you'll both love it.

21. cheez

cheez Golden Member

iPad 4 is already out???

Or is that the revision 2 of iPad 3?

Anyways, it's too heavy. I sold my iPad 2 to her and she has trouble using it because it's too heavy to hold.

Looks like the iPad Mini is a little lighter. But I think that's still too heavy for its size. When will the weight drop down to 10- 15%? In the year 2048!

22. ControlD

ControlD Diamond Member

Who is the "her" you are referring to? It better be your grandma or else somebody needs to get off the couch a little more if the iPad is too heavy to hold.

There is no iPad 3 or iPad 4, there is only the iPad, the mini, and the iPad 2 .. lol.

23. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

Not really. I'm a power user when it comes to mobile gadgets. I prefer the mini, even with the weaker CPU and the relatively-low pixel density. The size really is a greater advantage to me than those other things.

Still welcoming A6+ CPU and Retina with the next update, though!

24. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

You're not clearing up any confusion with your statement that "there's no iPad 3 or 4." Sure, Apple marketing doesn't call it "iPad 3" or "iPad 4," but they do call those 10-inch models "3rd generation" and "4th generation."

Regarding weight, try using a 10-inch iPad like you would a 7" e-book. Your arm will get fatigued from holding it up a long time.

#24 Ichinisan, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  25. ControlD

ControlD Diamond Member

I know, I was just poking a little fun at Apple's strange naming convention in regards to the iPad.

I use my 10" iPad primarily for ebook reading actually, have been ever since the first gen came out. I never had a problem with the weight, but usually when lounging aound I'm not holding the thing up to my face either. I can see usage varying in this respect however.