i split roughly 2 cords of wood and boy was it satisfying

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
i am a wood splitting newbie(save for the past month or two)
as most of you probably know splitting wood is a hell of a workout, ive been reading tricks and tips and my aim has gotten much better thru sheer repetition.
sometimes you encounter a piece that only anger and violent fury will subdivide.
i find the diablo barbarian howl, a gutteral scream followed by swinging that axe as hard as you can..sometimes it splits, sometimes it doesnt..

so if you got issues, take it out on a pile of unsplit wood, not only will it be satisfying..you will get a hell of an excercise for your trouble.

RAGE WITH THE AXE!

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
since i began splitting my neighbor hasnt spoken with me, perhaps she caught one of my diablo howls and thinks i am a nut.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
after the 1st day of major splitting, i was bed ridden, my shoulders and back hurt so bad i require prescription grade painkillers.
but when i look out at my woodpiles, i know it was all worth it.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
You shouldn't be using an axe. You shoudl be using a Splitting Maul. Basically a sledge hammer with a point on one end. Can split most things straight through with 1 or 2 good swings. I do it every winter because we have a wood burnign stove and can't use huge wood pieces. So I just head out front with my maul and beat the crap out of some wood. I like doing it.

But of course when we had to split up a whole tree, we rented a log splitter. That was fun too.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
You shouldn't be using an axe. You shoudl be using a Splitting Maul. Basically a sledge hammer with a point on one end. Can split most things straight through with 1 or 2 good swings. I do it every winter because we have a wood burnign stove and can't use huge wood pieces. So I just head out front with my maul and beat the crap out of some wood. I like doing it.

But of course when we had to split up a whole tree, we rented a log splitter. That was fun too.

i do have a splitting axe/maul
i have maple,ash and cherry to split...sometimes those maple knots are brutal..
who knew something as mindless as splitting wood could be so satisfying???

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: eplebnista
Originally posted by: ncircle
since i began splitting my neighbor hasnt spoken with me, perhaps she caught one of my diablo howls and thinks i am a nut.

lol

Hehe maybe you are too much man for her? J/K

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
OP is right, there is nothing more satisfying as splitting wood. It's both destructive and productive at the same time!

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
It is a nice burn:)
I and my brothers had a business right after I graduated, we did 500 cords that summer/fall. Of course we had power tools, but a lot of the easier rounds got smashed the old fashioned way.
After that, I could hold an 8 pound maul by the end of the handle and casually, unconsciously use it like a pointing stick!
"We should do that load over there to make room<pointing with splitting maul>.......":p

WA261

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior

Exactly what I was going to post.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: j00fek
i pile 5 cords every yr

Same here, the wood is delivered in my yard all cut and split. I then take it all in the wood room in the basement. It usualy takes me a couple of weekend to get it all in.
I love the wood heat.

Its not as manly as splitting it myself but it still impresses my wife.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Nothing I hate more than stacking wood. I've been working on cutting down one of the 80 foot maple trees in front of my house... There's wood all over the lawn, and the KIDS are going to stack it. I'd rather split 2 cords than stack one cord. Far more satisfying.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
that reminds me. i need to get some firewood. i do not have nearly enough for the winter. heck maybe 2-3 good burns.