I Saw Some Crazy Stuff Yesterday!

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
I was walking to my car from class when I saw some ducks in the school lake. I often feed them and even pick up the large (25 lb) geese when they're around. A few ducks flew in to the water from the edge of the lake and a great commotion began. I thought they were all fighting for some food or something.

As I got closer I noticed they were being really aggresive but I still couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally after about 30 seconds, I realized they were attacking another duck by biting the back of its head and keeping it underwater. There were multiple ducks of all types joining in on the attack. The weird part was some of the attackers violently turned on eachother when they couldn't get in on the action.

I tried to deter it by throwing rocks and other items in the lake. It looked like the victim was free for a split second but the attack quickly resumed. I thought for sure the duck was going to die, if not dead already. I managed to scare off the attackers and it climbed out of the water a few feet away from me, all haggared...I was seriously surprised she was still alive.

I recognized the duck immediately, it was the mother of 5 baby ducks. The babies were now in the water, seemingly oblivious to what had taken place. A mother of another group of 3 babies chased the group around. Some of the original attackers began violently attacking the babies in the same manner. The babies had no chance, the mother was still by me, trying to clean herself up. Again I helped free them the best I could and they stayed close enough to me afterwards to gain whatever protection I could provide. One of the babies came out of the water and basically walked in to my hands. I noticed it had a large hole in its foot though...

Anyway, I have never seen such violence in ducks/geese before. I used to own chickens and a few geese, but never have have they attempted to kill one another. I am positive that without my help, the mom and babies would have died.

Cliffs:
mom duck violently attacked by other ducks
ducks nearly drowned the mom by biting the back of her head and keeping it underwater
I helped free her of the attackers
While she cleaned herself up, her 5 babies were attacked by the same ducks
I helped ward off the attackers again
profit

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
For all you know, that duck was the spawn of Satan and you've just gone and doomed us all to eternal servitude when the Great Dark Mallard is summoned. Thanks a lot :|

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
And today, they're all dead because you weren't there to protect them. That's how it is in schools too. Kid gets picked on, he tells the principal, the bullies get suspended for a day, then they come back the next day to beat the kid up. Maybe you should think of a better solution.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Yax
And today, they're all dead because you weren't there to protect them. That's how it is in schools too. Kid gets picked on, he tells the principal, the bullies get suspended for a day, then they come back the next day to beat the kid up. Maybe you should think of a better solution.

I'm going to visit them in a little bit, brought some bread for them

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Yax

Teach them Duck Fu so they can defend themselves from the bully ducks.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: shimsham
why you fvking with natures way? are you god?

His interaction is perfectly natural, unless, of course, you posit that he is an alien not from this planet.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Breaking news:
The duck and her youngins were attacked because the other ducks found out that she was actually DUCK CHENEY

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
That is the saddest thing ever. I would have done the same thing as you, Mame...

but in my case... well, I am a Lame-O and probably would have brought them home with me and tried to raise them.

(/me pictures the b/f digging a pond in th back yard)

;)