I saw a bird commit suicide today

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I was crossing a parking lot today, when I noticed a sparrow acting strangely. As I walked closer to it, the sparrow took off and flew as fast as it could for about 40 feet before slamming into the back end of a parked car. I walked over to see what happened and saw it laying there twitching a bit while blood oozed out of its mouth. A few minutes later it was dead.

I had never seen anything like that before and it was disturbing.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
A bird flew into my bedroom window the other day..bounced off the screen and kept going..

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
You stood there watching the bird for minutes before it finally died? Twisted much?:confused:

Itchrelief

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005
Death throes are not fun to watch. My pet rabbit thrashed about like it had a grand mal seizure before it died. I had to leave the room until it stopped. You could hear it banging around from across the house, though (it wasn't a huge house).

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Jaiguru
You stood there watching the bird for minutes before it finally died? Twisted much?:confused:
I was shocked at what happened. There was nothing I could do.

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Iron Woode

Eh, I probably would have watched it too. Not for the sick reason of wanting to see the damn thing suffer but for the, "Holy shit did that just really happen!?!?", reason.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Iron Woode

Eh, I probably would have watched it too. Not for the sick reason of wanting to see the damn thing suffer but for the, "Holy shit did that just really happen!?!?", reason.
precisely

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
Reminds me of a few weeks ago driving to work behind one of those huge Ford V8 Vans. Bird is flying towards the street from the right of us. It flies right in front of the van and at first I figured it had the time to get out of the way before collision. Couldn't have been more wrong. :Q

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Once while driving I just happened to be looking where a small song bird had just darted out of some bushes and took a perpendicular path across the road at about 1 1/2 ft off the ground... It proceeded to intersect the front middle part of a tire (car was doing around 50 km/h) and was "sucked" under the tire in a small explosion of feathers but oddly no blood. It was so perfectly done that i wouldn't believe it could happen like that if I didn't see it.

(Off Topic: i know i said i would post anymore, but when reflecting on it, it's only the nuts in the heated debates i can't stand)

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Yeah, sometimes that happens in this current version of the Matrix that we live in. Don't blame the bird, blame the Architect!

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
there are some folks here that would fault you for not taking it to a vet and dishing out several hundred dollars.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
There was a big black bird that did that at my last workplace...we have these big windows on the front side and it slammed into it so loud I heard it all the way down at my cubicle on the other end of the office. Apparently it was a normal occurance :Q

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Two weeks ago, I was standing next to a campus building talking to a friend and a fly smashed in to the wall and fell dead on the window sill. weird