"i rolled a new character in WoW"

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I don't know why, but i find the term "rolled" used with an MMO game like WoW, annoying.

Yes I know it's a holdover from D&D and other pen & paper RPG games, but you didn't roll anything in WoW. You picked your avatar, picked a class, and created a name. the stats are all set in the beginning.

While I'm on the subject of annoying things in MMOs, where the hell did "toon" come from as a term for your character? It annoys the hell out of me when people say this.

/game rant over

The replies to this thread are starting to border on personal attacks, I do not want any valuable posters to get into trouble.

-Schadenfroh

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I'm pissed everyone says ding when they level. I know it's a holdover from everquest, but when you level in WoW the sound is more like whoosh (I actually say this). Infact, it sounds nothing like a ding; I would suspect anyone claiming it did would be mildly retarded.

Another thing in warcraft, random wandering creatures are refered to as creeps. Yet players mostly refer to them as mobs. This isn't a mud people update your linguo.

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
Maybe I'm not old and cranky or maybe I haven't been playing that long, none of that stuff bothers me.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I find it annoying when people say Ding in WoW too, like leveling in WoW is even remotely hard. At least in EQ leveling was working back in the day and a level was a big deal and you had to be real careful for a bit afterwords or you would delevel if you died.