I refuse to buy overpriced Kits

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
I want to water cool my comp. those kits are dinky and seem rediculously underpowered. I plan on buying a 60gph fountain pump. 30 bux

I need a radiator but the only ones I can think of are Car radiators. Can u guys think of any where else with Smaller size radiators that would work for WC application?? TIA

kleinwl

May 3, 2005
air conditioner coolers work fine. Get one off a geo metro or focus or whatever. Significantly smaller than a car rad. Motorcycle rads are also perfectly acceptable (250cc or smaller perferably).

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I want to water cool my comp. those kits are dinky and seem rediculously underpowered. I plan on buying a 60gph fountain pump. 30 bux

I totally agree with your refusal to buy over priced kits!!
Especially since the modern top of the line aircoolers get you within a few degrees or even equal to the lower end water cooling units!!

To my way of thinking and in my opinion--- You have the XP120 as well as the XP90 copper as well as the Big Typhoon as well as the Scyth Ninja and possibly the Shogun as well as the zalman 9500 and a few others that I can`t recall at this moment!

If your going to go water the way you are doing it is a wonderful learning experience as well probably much cheaper than buying highend seperates!!

With that said-- do your homework and be very exact and careful that once you have your build you have a safe working water cooler!!

Good Luck!! :)

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
hmm, i looked at all these radiators but i don't think it'll work that well unless it was idk,, like submerged in another tank of water or sumtin,, from just looking a fan blowing at it ,, it won't do anything....beginning to think if i need a radiator at all,, Just a giant tank of water
Tell me if this makes sense,,, Giant tank of water will hold alot of energy... effectively cooling cpu.. @ 60gph flow... will that work??

NINaudio

Feb 3, 2005
the water will just gradually heat up to a temp close to the highest temp of anything in your loop. If you want to passively cool the water you will need a rather large cooling tower of the type like the zalman reserator.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
OK DUG hole in yard... put tank in hole.. Water down hole... the fountain pump isn't working so far. I didn't think the Smallest pump wouldn't beable to cycle water 20 feet vertical.. I'm gonna go get teh 70 bux 300g/h pump tomorrow.. and see what happens.

XARiUS

Oct 1, 2005
Originally posted by: inveterate
OK DUG hole in yard... put tank in hole.. Water down hole...

lmao!! Dude, you so have to take pictures of this for us!! I've gotta see it!! :)

X

racinjimy

Jun 3, 2001
don't reinvent the wheel

all these issues have been worked out

read some WC forums like at xtreme and extreme overclocking

currently a heatercore is the best CHEAP rad, you have to braise or JB Weld fittings but they are under $30

be careful with high powered pumps that have a lot of heat dump, you may get great flowing warm water

ElTorrente

Banned
Aug 16, 2005
60 gph is a very low flow-rate, relative to other "good" pumps.

My dinky little csp-mags pump almost 3 times that amount I think, for about 50bucks each.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
well either way,, i got the 300 gph one.. i don't think it's working either though.. my apartment is actually 18 feet above ground to the window.. Not good flow..slow too

haelduksf

Feb 11, 2005
You need to look at the pump head before you buy. Even the most powerful Swiftech pumps can only shove water about 15 feet straight up. If you're going to run it down under your yard, you're going to need 2-3 pond pumps in series, or some kind of monster.

ssvegeta1010

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2004
Why are you trying to put the tank in your yard? All it will do is require more water, a larger pump system, and more tubing. The ground will insulate the heat inside the water tank, and a leak would be a HUGE hassle to fix. Try taking the suggestions above and just use a heatercore.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
Is a heater core the Actual core of a "Warmth Heater,," like the thing u plug into the wall??

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
can i bury that underground,, i really like the 1.5meter hole i dug.. and i hate to let it go to waste

ElTorrente

Banned
Aug 16, 2005
You have some.. uhh.. *interesting* notions of water cooling your computer. Just bolt a radiator to your case and be done with it.

Leading a hose out of your window and all the way down to the ground 18feet below because you want to bury your radiator?!?! What tha....

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: ElTorrente
You have some.. uhh.. *interesting* notions of water cooling your computer. Just bolt a radiator to your case and be done with it.

Leading a hose out of your window and all the way down to the ground 18feet below because you want to bury your radiator?!?! What tha....

OKKKK FINEEE.. i'll just fill up my hard dug hole.. Dame u .. i saw one of those giant old hot water heaters in the junk shed of the apartments,, i might run water through that.. hmm