I really want ATI/AMD to get back their crown, or at least be equivilent price to performance..

undeclared

Oct 24, 2005
Just a thought to ponder..

No AMD..

This week on CNN (in 2007):

Intel has AMAZINGLY just came out with their massively fast Pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor! It is such an amazing feat.

cprince

May 8, 2007
I agree with you about the competition. However, I think that if AMD goes out of business, then IBM will move in with their cell processor. I have seen an IBM presentation that discusses general business performance of the Cell processor. Now, why would they discuss general performance of the Cell processor unless IBM has other ideas for it.

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
Originally posted by: cprince
I agree with you about the competition. However, I think that if AMD goes out of business, then IBM will move in with their cell processor. I have seen an IBM presentation that discusses general business performance of the Cell processor. Now, why would they discuss general performance of the Cell processor unless IBM has other ideas for it.

collaboration with AMD using technology from the Cell processor?

EDIT: btw, amd offers comparable price/performance if you don't overclock, and they rule in the budget segment. intel doesn't have anything under $100 that can compete.

golem

Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: f4phantom2500
Originally posted by: cprince

collaboration with AMD using technology from the Cell processor?

EDIT: btw, amd offers comparable price/performance if you don't overclock, and they rule in the budget segment. intel doesn't have anything under $100 that can compete.

That MIGHT change when the Pentium E is released. Any way the sub $100 X2 are great for the consumer, but probably doesn't help AMD's financial picture much.

cprince

May 8, 2007
You're right, I don't think that AMD make much profit selling processors for under $100. And no, I don't think that IBM wants to collaborate with AMD. The market is too small.