I really hope this "Metro Look" doesn't catch on

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by 88keys, Jan 5, 2013.

1. power_hour

power_hour Senior member

Good. The guts are improved but the interface is a piece of shit. But I think the slow adoption is more about Windows 7 being a very decent OS.

2. LumbergTech

LumbergTech Diamond Member

That is exactly it. I have no reason to switch from 7. I am not unhappy with the experience I am getting now and 8 in no way compels me to move. I know it has improved on certain under the hood stuff, but I could care less about its stupid interface. I click some icons and use my programs. I don't like you obscuring my relationship with my files. I want to edit them. I want to open them. I want to close them. I don't care about what fancy schmancy tiles you can dress them up in..its a waste of my time.

3. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

I hate Metro. I can see how it can work well on a touchscreen, but I hate it.

4. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

5. dighn

dighn Lifer

#30 dighn, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  6. Zxian

Zxian Senior member

7. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

8. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

Wow I can't imagine a serious operation like DoD having a fisher price OS on it's computers lol. I would expect them to have some custom in house OS that is completely undisclosed.

9. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

There's nothing wrong with Win8 per se. The problem is people, and especially governments, and REALLY especially the defense branches of government shouldn't be beholden to private corporations. If they used libre software, anyone can write code for it, and it could be contracted out to the lowest bidder, or it could be done in-house. With proprietary code, only the original manufacturer can provide support.

Changing to a different brand of rifle is trivial compared to swapping out core infrastructure that may have been in place for 10+ years. They become locked in to one manufacturer, and that's bad for security, and the people paying the bills(me and you).

10. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

Yeah exactly, I would think they'd want to have 100% knowledge and control of what is REALLY going on in the background. I would expect them to be using some extremely customized and practically rewritten version of Linux.

11. HeXen

HeXen Diamond Member

Which can sometimes be more expensive in the long run to contract out and recieve support. Reminds me of when my friends dad contracted out to the lowest bidder to create a series of tools and software for his robotics company which itself is constantly changing, in the long run he lost thousands due to support and maintanence of those open source tools and software as apposed to licensing already available propriatary stuff, which he ended up doing later on. In house can also be expensive, especially when your lead programmers and engineers quit their job, often taking things with them leaving the next guy a nightmare and expensive legal matters to get into.
    Likely it very much depends on many factors including the kind of business you're in, but rarely is there such an easy answer as to just simply make software inhouse or contract others to create such..or otherwise everyone would already be doing it.

12. Dominato3r

Dominato3r Diamond Member

All of them are OEM licenses. The exact way the ~600M Windows 7 number was calculated

13. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

14. HeXen

HeXen Diamond Member

But OEM's are only going to buy so many initially then stop if they don't sell. Obviously they must be selling W8 based computers if the OEM's are continually buying licenses. Each computer sold is the same end means, only a small percentage each year would remain unsold for retail price until it rises enough that the OEM would have to stop production...they don't just toss those unsold computers away ya know..they all get sold technically.

15. dighn

dighn Lifer

You'd have to really hate Windows 8 to avoid buying a machine that you'd otherwise want just because it comes with Windows 8. The point we are trying to make is that just because it's sold a lot of licenses doesn't mean people are gobbling it up like it's the best thing since sliced bread. It just means that people find it at least tolerable enough when buying new computers (or they may actually like it, but you can't tell that from that data alone).

I still maintain that Windows 8 is pretty decent, except for Metro. It would be a much better product if Metro wasn't forced down our throats.

16. Maximilian

Maximilian Lifer

All OEM.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Microsoft-licenses-60-Million-Windows-8-stats-adoption,news-41984.html

"However, this number isn't a reflection of the OS's success, or of how many people have adopted Windows 8. Instead, the 60 million figure includes the number of licenses sold, upgrades, and sales to OEMs."

Based on what other articles around the web are saying, windows 8 is bombing harder than vista.

17. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

Microsoft only cares about licenses sold. Is there something else they should be tracking?

18. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Of course they care about more than that. This is a huge part of their current push into the mobile market and establishing an "ecosystem" with their app store, XBox music, etc and Win8 is a huge part of that.

19. nerp

nerp Diamond Member

I like Metro or Modern UI. It doesn't prevent me from doing anything. Yes, it's better suited to my Surface RT tablet (especially the charms and other gestures) but it still is Windows and you can pretty much use it like Windows 7 if you want to.

20. Matt1970

Matt1970 Lifer

Not entirely accurate. There were many a computer that shipped with XP on it when Vista was out.

21. jhansman

jhansman Platinum Member

I like it for phones and tablets, but for the desktop, no so much. My next phone may be a Windows phone; don't yet own a tablet.

22. Mem

Mem Lifer

I'm not a great fan of Metro either ,sure I know my way around Metro etc but as a desktop user prefer to go straight to desktop and work from there etc..

I'm sure Metro will be improved in Win9 (I'll be surprised if they remove it completely).

As to Phones I will stick with my Android smartphone.

Problem is Microsoft wanted to do "all in one OS"(merge phones/tablets/desktop PC/laptops etc) and so there was trade offs for desktop users,you could argue why not make a Win8 desktop version or add more desktop options in Win8 to keep desktop users happy,guess they wanted us to adapt or change from Win7,anyway whatever their intention was its far from perfect ,however still very usable/customizable IMHO.

Win9 should be interesting,wonder which way Microsoft will go?...interesting times ahead as they say.

#47 Mem, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  23. Blueychan

Blueychan Senior member

Great! Another thread of anti-Metro circle jerk.

24. Mem

Mem Lifer

You will always get threads like this,happens on nearly every new OS,personally Metro is not a big deal since you can avoid it for the most part especially if you hate it etc...I use Metro when I need to and have got use to it,however I still feel it will be improved in the next OS,the big question is will it keep most of the anti-Metro fans happy?...only time will tell.

:)

25. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Metro is an interface designed for "slow" folk. The rest of us just want to use our computer, like we always have. Without having the interface constantly and completely dumbed-down.

(One program full-screen at a time? Are the kidding me?)