I really don't care who wins the election.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What will I do... I haven't agreed with the man in office since I've been alive. Nothing is going to change there.

Me? Continue to advocate that Americans shouldn't be enslaving themselves under centralized government. *facepalm as they do nothing else.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I see Obama as competent, and well intentioned.
I see Romney as competent, and quite evil. Perhaps even more evil than Dick Cheney.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
I'm voting for Obama

Why aren't you voting for former Governor Gary Johnson, Jules? :colbert:

110702_gq_johnson_f.jpg

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Anyone not seriously considering Gary Johnson is lost to the indoctrination of the current system.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It is a war. That's all thats left. We've gone primitive unable to communicate as a whole. Our technological toys have advanced, but we definitely have not. Witness the internet, a means for instant communication almost everywhere. Did it help reach understanding? An appreciation of what wonders are potentially ours? No, we decend into creatures that use it to promote our brand of ignorance and hate, and by "we" I mean humanity as whole.
I have grown quite impatient with Homo sapiens, a misnomer if there ever was one.

Here is one for you:

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_on_the_myth_of_violence.html

And this, which I think is right up your alley:

http://www.ted.com/talks/robert_wright_on_optimism.html

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Anyone not seriously considering Gary Johnson is lost to the indoctrination of the current system.

Not at all. Jesus Christ could be running as a third party candidate and wouldn't stand a chance. Folk who vote third party when there's no chance at all of winning are just stabbing themselves in a eye. It's nothing more than self indulgent self hate and childish pique. The anti-reasoning party of the conservative brain dead are a danger to the nation and the egotistical children that vote third party enable American brain death.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Thanks for the lolz. You are in no position to post what is madness or not.

That said, I'm in the same position as the OP. I couldn't care less who wins. It's just two different sides of the same coin. No matter which side this 2012 flip lands on, we're still damned.

Actually I might vote for not 'the lesser of two evils', but 'the worst of the two evils.' Just to help tank this country quicker in attempts that the reboot happens quicker. Which is inevitable at this point. Right now we are just being robbed.

Not at all. I am a liberal and quite capable of rational thinking. Sadly, we know from scientific evidence that conservatives generally are not. You even demonstrate your insanity by wanting to tank the country in the delusional belief that to repair that kind of damage could be accomplished by a reboot. You are completely brain dead.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
So you've been getting secret communications from the Romney camp as to how they are going to reduce the debt?

reducing the debt right now is not the issue. Stopping the trillion+ dollar increases every year is critical. Expand the economy, increase tax revenues from the growing economy will at some point mean a surplus. Of course we all know this is a pipe dream because either party will spend us out of any future surplus. no one in Washington is capable of, at a minimum, freezing current spending levels. I just think another 4 years of Obama will accelerate our financial demise.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Not at all. Jesus Christ could be running as a third party candidate and wouldn't stand a chance. Folk who vote third party when there's no chance at all of winning are just stabbing themselves in a eye. It's nothing more than self indulgent self hate and childish pique. The anti-reasoning party of the conservative brain dead are a danger to the nation and the egotistical children that vote third party enable American brain death.

I look at it as party building. where I live Romney is most likely a shoe-in so whether I vote for obama or someone else really wont make difference except if the party I vote for gets 5% of the vote (unlikely but I can dream cant I?) they will qualify for federal funding next cycle.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
reducing the debt right now is not the issue. Stopping the trillion+ dollar increases every year is critical. Expand the economy, increase tax revenues from the growing economy will at some point mean a surplus. Of course we all know this is a pipe dream because either party will spend us out of any future surplus. no one in Washington is capable of, at a minimum, freezing current spending levels. I just think another 4 years of Obama will accelerate our financial demise.

Current spending levels? Oh, they can do that fine. What they can't do is get back to the stratospheric $2T+ spending levels they were at just a few short years ago. That is somehow an impossibility for them...

Chuck

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I look at it as party building. where I live Romney is most likely a shoe-in so whether I vote for obama or someone else really wont make difference except if the party I vote for gets 5% of the vote (unlikely but I can dream cant I?) they will qualify for federal funding next cycle.

If truly most likely and 5% also likely, go for it. This is a totally rational argument completely different than I'm going to fuck myself in the ass after I've bitten off my nose and stuffed it in there.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
I'm voting for Obama and he'll win CA easily whether I vote or not but I really don't care either way. It's going to be one of these two regardless.

I'm just curious what your plans are if your guy doesn't get in?

I have a lot of friends who are fairly conservative and a some who are pretty liberal and it seems that the conservative ones are just foaming at the mouth at the thought of another 4 years of Obama.

Someone my wife is good friends with was telling her that Obama is a communist and we're going to a world currency and that the middle class will disappear if Obama wins. I find that a bit hard to believe personally. I think she gives him too much credit. :biggrin:

Republicans are upset that their most extreme and delusional views aren't in sync with most Americans. Instead they blame the media/reality/poor people/immigrants/science/secret islamic communist cabals/invisible pink unicorns.

The problem with cognitive dissonance is that it leads to maladaptive behaviour.

So until the Republicans get their asses kicked at the national level a few times they will refuse to confront their internal issues.

And thats bad for all us, because even if you are Democrat, a choice of one is not a choice.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
http://news.investors.com/politics-...-presidential-race-a-close-tie-once-again.htm

Forget the Republican doom and gloom drumbeat peddled elsewhere in the media this week.

A new Gallup Poll out this morning finds President Obama's convention bounce fading and the 2012 presidential race reverting to its previous tight margin. What a bummer for the preferred media narrative of recent days!

The poll, of 1,096 registered voters in 12 key swing states, finds Obama and Mitt Romney virtually tied at 48% for the Democrat and 46% for Romney with less than seven weeks to go.

Gallup's Daily Tracking of registered voters nationally finds the margin even closer with Obama at 47% and Romney at 46%.

The crucial swing states polled were: Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin. Obama handily won all 12 states over John McCain in 2008, but at this point this time the race is much closer.

Gallup found that 22% of those swing state voters said they were either undecided now or there's a slight chance they'll change their mind by Nov. 6. Ominously for Obama, more of that 22% susceptible to change currently support the incumbent.

Three-quarters of the swing state voters said the recent party conventions had not affected their choice.

And another three-quarters asserted the upcoming three presidential debates in October will have little influence on their vote.

Again ominously for Obama, the debates look to loom as more important for him than for Romney, the reverse of the usual incumbent-challenger template.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
All within the margin of error. In other words a tossup. I still think Obama has an edge and should be favored, but it's hardly the "call the election now Romney is toast" meme that the lefties are pushing.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Redistribution
Isn't that where we pay taxes, and they take that money to build roads, bridges, military?
Shit... We damn well don't want THAT...
Mitt. What a FKing idiot.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Redistribution
Isn't that where we pay taxes, and they take that money to build roads, bridges, military?

When I hear redistribution I think that, along with taking my money, and giving it to people the government deems needing it. And therein the problem lies. The government is content to allow a system where they take my tax dollars, and give them to people buying Pepsi and Cheetos at the local gas station. Or packs of ribs at Sams. Then that same government says we need mo munney. Where does that $$$$$$$$$$$ come from? Well, not 47% of the potential tax paying workers, it comes partially from me.

Here's my deal to get my vote: Demonstrate you are going to fix the absurd spending problem of the Fed Gov, then when you have done that, come back to me and we'll talk mo munney. Pols coming to me pleading for mo before they've done that get laughed at, and certainly not voted for.

We already know Bummers record. The question is, what does Romney have to compare? Who's the more drunk sailor?

Chuck

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
Both candidates are awful to me. I refuse to vote for Romney and there is no way in heck I am voting for Obama. I may do a write in vote for Mickey Mouse.

I live in TN and it will go Republican again.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
The first election I was old enough to vote in was in 2000, in which I voted Gore.

Then in 2004, I voted Kerry.

In 2008, I voted Obama and was actually very excited about him. That was perhaps the height of my liberalism.

I now find myself no longer a liberal, though I still hold some of the same views I did. I continue to be not only pro-choice, but pro-abortion. I believe in equal rights for women and homosexuals, and strict separation of church and state.

But I've moved far from the democrats now on things like affirmative action, immigration, gun control, and foreign policy.

I cannot, in good conscience vote for Obama or Romney because I disagree too fundamentally with them both.

I am not very optimistic about the future of our country in either of their hands.

Baptismbyfire

Oct 7, 2010
Whether Obama or Romney wins, the only difference is whether it will take a decade or two decades for the whole structure to come crumbling down.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
After Perot both main parties were scared shitless and essentially locked out all 3rd parties and making it near impossible for any to get a foothold today.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Redistribution

Unfortunately most that vote for Obama don't pay their "fair share", they are the takers in our society, you can include the non taxing paying White House in that broad statement.