I ratted on the five-O! Should I be scared?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Rogue
You don't know how long he'd been at work at that point or what his life is like.

(snip)

When you work in a car for 8+ hours per day, it can get very tiring to drive and when people get fatigued behind the wheel, stuff like this happens. And really, what's a cop supposed to do if he accidentally runs a light like that, turn on his lights, pull over to the side of the road and write his own ass a ticket? Most of you are much too hard on law enforcement officers. For the record, I am one.

You're kidding right? How often do those excuses work if a civilian is pulled over? The answer is, when the officer feels like letting them off. Law enforcement officers of all people should follow traffic laws.

From what the original poster wrote, I seriously doubt the officer in question "accidentally" (lol) ran the light.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: PipBoy
Originally posted by: Rogue
You don't know how long he'd been at work at that point or what his life is like.

(snip)

When you work in a car for 8+ hours per day, it can get very tiring to drive and when people get fatigued behind the wheel, stuff like this happens. And really, what's a cop supposed to do if he accidentally runs a light like that, turn on his lights, pull over to the side of the road and write his own ass a ticket? Most of you are much too hard on law enforcement officers. For the record, I am one.

You're kidding right? How often do those excuses work if a civilian is pulled over? The answer is, when the officer feels like letting them off. Law enforcement officers of all people should follow traffic laws.

From what the original poster wrote, I seriously doubt the officer in question "accidentally" (lol) ran the light.

Actually honesty will get you out of a ticket EASIER than lying. A Law Enforcement Officer is a human just like the rest of us. They have bad days just like we do. BTW, you snipped the part of Rogue's post in which he said it was wrong for the officer to run the light and he also said the officer deserved an ass chewing. Selective reading PipBoy?

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
Originally posted by: yobarman
i was gonna that was a waste of time, but if you had friends hurt in the past, then i can definately see your reason for it.

It's never a waste of time to rat out corrupt cops.

Corrupt cops are called "pigs". I hate pigs. :|

I seriously doubt that the case in point can refer to the offending officer as being corrupt.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
It's never a waste of time to rat out corrupt cops.

Nice little rant, its a shame it has nothing to do with the situation.
rolleye.gif

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: MedicBob
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Was the cop's lights on in your friend's cases? If so, then it's their own fault for not looking.

I disagree. Emergency vehicle operators, Police, Fire, and EMS, are required to operate with due regard. In other words the peeps with the green light have right of way over an emergency vehicle running emergency, but blocked by a red light. This is Wisconsin state law and a majority of other states.
In both of my friends' cases, they were Tboned by the cops and there is no possible way for them to avoid the accident because they never saw them coming. In the case where the girl died, she wasn't even driving, but only a passenger in the vehicle that was hit. The other three girls were all in the hospital from the severity of the accident. :(

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
I just got back from Circuit City and the grocery store and I'm on this straight 3 lane, 1 way street and I pull up next to a copper. We're both approaching a traffic light (about 20 feet away) and it turns red. Neither of us were going very fast...about 35mph. I slowed to a stop. He slowed down a little, but then went on through the light. He wasn't in pursuit or anything!!

I got home, picked up the phone and called headquarters on his ass. They said I'd get a call tomorrow from the sarge to follow up. In the last year and a half, one of my friends was badly injured in a wreck involving a cop that ran a red light because he was called in for backup on a road block. (totalled her ford probe GT too) And a girl that went to my high school was killed in September by a police officer that was trying to make it to a fight somewhere...also ran a red light. What is it with the cops in this towns and simple traffic laws??? RED MEANS STOP! :|

Maybe their was an APB....

"Krisy Kreme's is about to close, get a move on it!"

Good job ratting him out.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: LuNoTiCK
Where exactly do you call to report cops?

the police station... and hope that the guy who did it wasnt the guy who picked up the phone

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Most of the time smaller departments will not have an IAD that you can contact so you must talk to Duty Sarge or the highest ranking department official that is available.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
good. my friend was also by hit by a cop running a red light (non-emergency) and her car was totalled. luckily she wasnt injured.

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
i commend your decision to report him. i think i will start doing that too when i see it. and i see it all the damn time around here... damn pigs... they always think they can do anything they want. i usually see them cruising at 90+ for no reason on the highway, so i just use that as an excuse to tail them at their own speed. they can't give me a ticket for doing what they're doing themselves...

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: d33pt
i commend your decision to report him. i think i will start doing that too when i see it. and i see it all the damn time around here... damn pigs... they always think they can do anything they want. i usually see them cruising at 90+ for no reason on the highway, so i just use that as an excuse to tail them at their own speed. they can't give me a ticket for doing what they're doing themselves...

keep thinking that...

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Stupidty tends to transcend with each reply to this thread.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill

the police station... and hope that the guy who did it wasnt the guy who picked up the phone
I've had to call 911 three times in the last year and the police station 4 times.... I've never talked to a guy on the phone before. I don't know if that's choice of the officers or if they're breaking discrimination laws as well... :p

Originally posted by: Millennium

Stupidty tends to transcend with each reply to this thread.

thats why i try to stay out of police threads now. Most of these people dont know what the hell they are talking about. So instead of keeping their mouth shut, stupid comes flying out.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
In regards to red light cameras, cops are not exempt. If they were not trying to pull someone over, then they have to pay the price of the ticket. This is one situation that can't wiggle their way out of.

I think it's admirable of you to follow-up on this manner with the police department. I doubt that the complaint will be filed in the "circular file." However, the supervisor of this individual will probably use the complaint when the review comes up in the future for this individual. The officer that ran the light will get "shorted" on his raise. He'll quickly relalize that he needs to follow the same rules that we all do. Being a cop does not exempt you from having to follow the rules of the road.

In preparation for tomorrow's call, why not take out a sheet of paper and make a few short notes about the incident. You'll be able to use your list when talking to the seageant and you'll be able to ensure everything that you wanted to say gets said.

Best of luck to you! :)

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
You did the right thing; no one is above the law. I see cops going 80-90mph on the freeway with lights turned off every day and it pisses me off. I think I am going to start calling our local PD and report their sorry asses.