I pulled a hangnail on my big toe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Why would anyone pull a hangnail? Are there no fingernail clippers where you cavemen live?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why would anyone pull a hangnail? Are there no fingernail clippers where you cavemen live?

Mine was more of an ingrown nail than a hang nail. Cut/tear/rip the bastard out!!! Sore for a day or so but much better over the long run vs having daily cutting into my toe.

Jun 27, 2005
1. Take some lemon juice and saturate it with table salt and apply the mixture directly to the open wound.

2. Then apply pressure using an alcohol soaked paper towel.

3. Leave towel on until bleeding subsides, and then pull it off quickly.

4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 until wound stops bleeding or patient passes out.

That was the first thing that came to mind. Sadly, it didn't work. I even bit down on a stick.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I just fixed my nails last week. All good for another month.

remotefoot.jpg

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
In a related note, the images in Wikipedia's page on ingrown nails are almost enough to make me pass out.

You pansy :p I thought the Vandenbos procedure was interesting. Sometimes you really do have to scrap it all and start from scratch.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Just get the sides of your big toes' nails permanently cut off at a podiatrist. After fighting with painful ingrown nails for years, I'm am now impervious to the stupid things. My toes are a painfree temple! They just look stupid.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Nail_Convexity.JPG

damn, how the hell do B & C happen

My mother had those kind. All my toenails are normal except the ones next to my big toes are like domes. They are perfectly wide enough but are shaped almost spherical and curve sharply down, creating a kind of protective cap over the front of the toe. If I somehow removed the nail across the top instead of the front where it angles down, I would be bleeding and sore because that part that is supposed to attach to the nail also extends over the front.

Last edited:

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Nail_Convexity.JPG

damn, how the hell do B & C happen

My dad is somewhere between B and C. He digs the sides out with the file on the nailclippers every now and then. Lots of bleeding. He says it's from clipping his toes like he does his fingers, istead of a straight line.