I propose changing our icons to the US flag during the war

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
I almost changed to the flag, but sadly on this forum it has mostly morphed into a symbol of exclusion, intolerance, and hate. This sort of dime store "patriotism" is not something I want to be associated with. Nothing we say or do will impact our soldiers in any way, so the "support" line is sort of silly. They don't need us yapping about this and that and whatever, they need to get their jobs done and come home in one piece. When I meet a soldier I will pay homage to the sacrifices they make for our nation, but that does not mean I must blindly follow where government leads.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Jani
I think Iraq flag would be symbolic avatar for those who are against this war.

Good idea. Nothing like supporting a country in which disidents are tortured and murdered by the thoulsands, women are raped whenever their leader feels like it, and human rights are laughable. Makes so much sense I don't know why I didn't think of it first. Typical, never let facts get in the way or anything
rolleye.gif

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: oLLieI don't see anything worthy of honor. His exercise of the freedom of speech? He's lucky he possesses that freedom; I would honor the Constitution and not Moonbeam if that's what you find worthy of honor. We are privileged to live in the U.S. and enjoy the many freedoms we take for granted.

Oh well, resume America-hating

I do not hate America. I never said I did.

I think Moonbeam's posts are funny. I changed to a mushroom to honor his old avatar. That's all.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Garfang
Originally posted by: oLLie
I don't see anything worthy of honor. His exercise of the freedom of speech? He's lucky he possesses that freedom; I would honor the Constitution and not Moonbeam if that's what you find worthy of honor. We are privileged to live in the U.S. and enjoy the many freedoms we take for granted.

Oh well, resume America-hating

I do not hate America. I never said I did.

I think Moonbeam's posts are funny. I changed to a mushroom to honor his old avatar. That's all.
Liberals are quite comical. :D

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
You guys honor our troups, I'll do our leader.

Lol, good one. But why do you have to insult clowns like that?

Angrymarshmello, look up the meaning of "empire" before you call Iraq an evil empire.

em·pire ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mpr)
n.

A political unit having an extensive territory or comprising a number of territories or nations and ruled by a single supreme authority.
The territory included in such a unit.
An extensive enterprise under a unified authority: a publishing empire.
Imperial or imperialistic sovereignty, domination, or control: ?There is a growing sense that the course of empire is shifting toward the... Asians? (James Traub).

I think YOU need to look up the meaning before you correct someone, ignorant Canadian.

Saddam doesn't even control the Kurds in the north! Iraq's territory is by no means extensive and he does not rule other nations.

I think you should know what you're talking about before posting, retarted American.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Can't help ya there. :) The smile is so much more universal than the flag, and in its simplicity represents what I believe in.

CinderElmo

Jun 23, 2000
I have always had the flag as my avatar...so not using it here for any statement other than I love this country.

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
You guys honor our troups, I'll do our leader.

Lol, good one. But why do you have to insult clowns like that?

Angrymarshmello, look up the meaning of "empire" before you call Iraq an evil empire.

em·pire ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mpr)
n.

A political unit having an extensive territory or comprising a number of territories or nations and ruled by a single supreme authority.
The territory included in such a unit.
An extensive enterprise under a unified authority: a publishing empire.
Imperial or imperialistic sovereignty, domination, or control: ?There is a growing sense that the course of empire is shifting toward the... Asians? (James Traub).

I think YOU need to look up the meaning before you correct someone, ignorant Canadian.

Saddam doesn't even control the Kurds in the north! Iraq's territory is by no means extensive and he does not rule other nations.

I think you should know what you're talking about before posting, retarted American.

He doesn't control it but they fear him. They've been more persecuted than either the Shiites or the Sunnis iirc by Saddam and his evil empire. I'm not going to argue with you over a definition. If you want to go ahead, but you'll be pissing in the wind.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: jaeger66
I almost changed to the flag, but sadly on this forum it has mostly morphed into a symbol of exclusion, intolerance, and hate. This sort of dime store "patriotism" is not something I want to be associated with. Nothing we say or do will impact our soldiers in any way, so the "support" line is sort of silly. They don't need us yapping about this and that and whatever, they need to get their jobs done and come home in one piece. When I meet a soldier I will pay homage to the sacrifices they make for our nation, but that does not mean I must blindly follow where government leads.

Thank you for posting that. :)