Question I plugged in an HDMI monitor to my Lenovo Ideapad 320 laptop while it was turned on, then it shut down, and now the Battery will not charge.

onepocketkid386

Junior Member
Dec 22, 2019
24
2
16
I plugged in an HDMI monitor to my Lenovo Ideapad 320 laptop while it was turned on, and it sparked when the HDMI plug touched the HDMI plug in of the laptop, and then the laptop shut down.

I was able to turn the laptop back on, and it works just fine, but the battery is not charging.

I have no way to test the AC Adapter on a different laptop, and I am afraid that the DC power plug in might have shorted, and is now dead.

The AC Adapter is not an original Lenovo adapter. It is a Universal Adapter, with options for different voltages. I always had it on the correct 20V option though.

Anyways, I am really hoping that it is an issue with the AC Adapter, and not the motherboard of the laptop.

I found the DC Power Jack for the laptop on ebay, but the problem is that I do not know how to Solder (is this something that is easy to learn?), and I do not have the tools for that.

Anyways, any opinions on if this issue is probably with the DC Power Jack, or if it is probably with the AC Adapter?

I do not understand why it sparked like that while I was plugging in an HDMI monitor cable.

I guess the 1st thing I should do is order a cheap replacement AC Adapter, to see if that is the issue.

I am just very poor, and do not have much money to spend.

Thanks for any thoughts about this.
 

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
47,595
4,797
126
Well, honestly, when using a third-party adapter (was it branded, like Targus, or was it a cheap Chinese ebay special?), all bets are kind of off. It's not factory-spec, and there's no real way of telling what it might do.

You might have issues with your AC wiring (possible ground loop current) as well.

Was the monitor plugged into the SAME AC outlet strip / surge protector / battery-backup as the laptop? If not, that might have been the issue, and possibly you should get your AC outlets checked for ground interference issues.

If the laptop and the monitor were plugged into the same outlet strip / same ground, then you must have gotten very unlucky, or that third-party AC adapter is a piece of (ungrounded?) junk.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Steltek

onepocketkid386

Junior Member
Dec 22, 2019
24
2
16
Well, honestly, when using a third-party adapter (was it branded, like Targus, or was it a cheap Chinese ebay special?), all bets are kind of off. It's not factory-spec, and there's no real way of telling what it might do.

You might have issues with your AC wiring (possible ground loop current) as well.

Was the monitor plugged into the SAME AC outlet strip / surge protector / battery-backup as the laptop? If not, that might have been the issue, and possibly you should get your AC outlets checked for ground interference issues.

If the laptop and the monitor were plugged into the same outlet strip / same ground, then you must have gotten very unlucky, or that third-party AC adapter is a piece of (ungrounded?) junk.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The adapter is a brand that I never heard of (called, "M2 TEC" "Model: V-4825"). It is a universal AC Adapter, with different voltage settings on it (12V / 15V / 16V / 18V / 19V / 20V / 24V), and I had it set on 20V. The adapter says that it has a max wattage of 96W. I also only have the 1 tip for this particular laptop, or I would test the adapter on my other laptop. I had both the laptop and HDMI Monitor plugged into a surge protector. Anyways, I have very low expectations, but I am hoping that the issue is with the AC Adapter, and not the DC Jack, which is soldered onto the motherboard. I can order the DC Jack for $10, but I do not know how to Solder, nor do I have the tools needed for that. Really hoping that a replacement AC Adapter will fix my issue. Thanks.
 

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
2,254
55
91
What is not clear or evident is what kind of contact between HDMI connectors resulted in the spark (eg, was it between the grounded portions of the male to female connectors or did that happen instead during conector insertion; ie from internal connector pin contact?).

Based on your description, there's a real good possibility that you damaged a component on the Lenovo MB.

Use a voltmeter to verify that both monitor and laptop chassis as well as the sheilds of the HDMI connectors are at ground when the units are energized when operating from wall/house current.

If not, then that will need to be corrected via tracing to determine specifically why not then making necessary corrections/repairs.
 
  • Like
Reactions: VirtualLarry

onepocketkid386

Junior Member
Dec 22, 2019
24
2
16
What is not clear or evident is what kind of contact between HDMI connectors resulted in the spark (eg, was it between the grounded portions of the male to female connectors or did that happen instead during conector insertion; ie from internal connector pin contact?).

Based on your description, there's a real good possibility that you damaged a component on the Lenovo MB.

Use a voltmeter to verify that both monitor and laptop chassis as well as the sheilds of the HDMI connectors are at ground when the units are energized when operating from wall/house current.

If not, then that will need to be corrected via tracing to determine specifically why not then making necessary corrections/repairs.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Here is what happened. I plugged in an external flat panel HDMI monitor into my surge protector, and then I plugged the HDMI monitor cable into the laptop, while the laptop was turned on and in use. As soon as the 2 metal parts (the HDMI and the metal part of the HDMI plug in) touched each other, it caused a spark, and the laptop turned off (instantly). So, then I pressed the power button (afraid for the worse, that the mother board died), and the laptop turned on just fine. After a little while of using the laptop, I noticed that the battery was dying, and not being charged. So, I looked on the side, and I seen that the charging LED light was not lit.

Anyways, good news is that I was able to find a similar laptop at a shop today, and I borrowed their AC Adapter for a few seconds, to test it on my laptop, and it powered on and charged the battery just fine. I am so relieved now that I know that the issue was a failed AC Adapter.

Anyways, thanks for your time, and help.
 

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
2,254
55
91
Glad to learn that !!!!

Once in awhile I see people have issues with inexpensive powerd hubs which damage components and these seem to be related to badly implemented hub power circuits.

This is one of the reasons I try to stay with "name brand" components (eg, name power supplies, powers hubs, connector cords, etc.).
 

onepocketkid386

Junior Member
Dec 22, 2019
24
2
16
Glad to learn that !!!!

Once in awhile I see people have issues with inexpensive powerd hubs which damage components and these seem to be related to badly implemented hub power circuits.

This is one of the reasons I try to stay with "name brand" components (eg, name power supplies, powers hubs, connector cords, etc.).
Hi,

It turns out that I was wrong. The AC Adapter said Plugged In, but the battery kept dying, until the laptop was dead. So, then the laptop would not turn on. I wonder though, the Lenovo IdeaPad 320 originally came with a 65 watt AC Adapter, and I only have a 45 Watt AC Adapter for my other Lenovo IdeaPad 130. It fits perfect in the 320, and has the same Voltage (20 Volts), but it is only 45 Watts. Should it still be able to power the 320 just fine? I am hoping to be able to find a computer repair shop that will give me a free diagnosis, on what the issue is, and a quote on the cost of repair. I assume the DC Jack needs to be replaced, unless a 65 watt AC Adapter might work.

Anyways, someone told me that I could use a Voltameter to see if the DC Power jack is dead, or working just fine? How would I do that? Thanks.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY