I picked up a sub and amp off craigslist just now

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The stuff is older but the amp is built like a tank, it is a JL Audio mono 250. The sub is a Kicker Solobaric 12". This amp makes my old amp look like a toy, I am certain this setup will be extremely overkill for my music. The guy was needing cash and I got the amp, sub amd the wiring kit for 70 dollars. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I am curious to how good this setup will be.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Nice grab. I had a solobaric sub in a ported box once. Kept it about a month before I went on to one 12" Type R Alpine and then added a 12" Kicker comp. A single solobaric wasn't for me. I honestly can't remember what size it was either.

I had them run on some old Interfire amps. These two subs would eventually make it into my Civic, where I ran them on my Memphis Belle amp.

I miss blasting music and setting off alarms lol.

Last edited:

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
Nice grab. I had a solobaric sub in a ported box once. Kept it about a month before I went on to one 12" Type R Alpine and then added a 12" Kicker comp. A single solobaric wasn't for me. I honestly can't remember what size it was either.

I had them run on some old Interfire amps. These two subs would eventually make it into my Civic, where I ran them on my Memphis Belle amp.

I miss blasting music and setting off alarms lol.

Setting off car alarms with engine revs is more fun I think. Surely the might RX can handle that, right? :)

I'd like to add a small sub to my 'new to me' car but the terrible deck that came with the thing has to go first!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I picked up for $80 a DUAL-brand 8" sub in a box with blue LED light and built in AMP two weeks back and stuck it in my van. It was on sale from $110. I have to say it actually is not bad at all, just tied it into my OEM unit, so I wasn't expecting much but for $80 I've been happy with it. I know, I bought a sub from Walmart, sue me :)

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Setting off car alarms with engine revs is more fun I think. Surely the might RX can handle that, right? :)

I'd like to add a small sub to my 'new to me' car but the terrible deck that came with the thing has to go first!

If I rev fast enough, I can probably set a couple of them off. :)

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
I drive downtown to pick up cars for my job. I'd do it all the time if I didn't feel bad for the attendants!

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sub, amp, and wiring harness for 70 bucks? Yeah, I'd say it's a good deal as long as it works!

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
i picked up for $80 a dual-brand 8" sub in a box with blue led light and built in amp two weeks back and stuck it in my van. It was on sale from $110. I have to say it actually is not bad at all, just tied it into my oem unit, so i wasn't expecting much but for $80 i've been happy with it. I know, i bought a sub from walmart, sue me :)

rofl +1

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I picked up for $80 a DUAL-brand 8" sub in a box with blue LED light and built in AMP two weeks back and stuck it in my van. It was on sale from $110. I have to say it actually is not bad at all, just tied it into my OEM unit, so I wasn't expecting much but for $80 I've been happy with it. I know, I bought a sub from Walmart, sue me :)

Hey, they carry Pioneer and Sony now too. :p

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Aww, what's this? 160 PEAK bitches:

mpvsubsub.jpg

speedy2

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2008
Nice deal OP. You can get decent sound from stuff without breaking the bank. I bought a pair a 2 way 6x9's in 2000 from a pawn shop. Put them in my '65 Mustang. In the back window. Had people thinking I had a 10 in the trunk. One guy actually wanted to look in my trunk because he thought I was lying. Suited me well. lol

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
So Skoorb...does your wife drive the van or do you? If you're wife does drive the van, how does she like her new bump-a-van?

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
$70 for a JL amp and a 12" Kicker sub is pretty darn good. As long as everything's working it should give you some decent bass without your head lights dimming too bad.

I had a Cadence 600W Class D mono hooked up to an Infinty Kappa 12 in my Ford Contour and that thing dimmed the lights bad. Later I added a yellow top battery and a half farad cap which helped but I could still dim the lights if I cranked it up. That car had a 100amp alternator stock too. I ended up having to replace the alternator on it too. Probably fried it with that amp. That sucker could suck some juice.

Never put the setup in the GTO because the car has no trunk space. If I put the sub in I'd basically have no trunk.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
So Skoorb...does your wife drive the van or do you? If you're wife does drive the van, how does she like her new bump-a-van?
Mainly Prius since it's better on gas and she does most of the driving. She mocks the sub in the van when she has to use it but the mocking hides her insecurities because she knows deep down it's awesome and she knows I'm the hardest-hitting bass-pounding mother-f**ker (literally) in the 'hood.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Mainly Prius since it's better on gas and she does most of the driving. She mocks the sub in the van when she has to use it but the mocking hides her insecurities because she knows deep down it's awesome and she knows I'm the hardest-hitting bass-pounding mother-f**ker (literally) in the 'hood.

Giddyup! That's golden. So I assume this was a distractionary purchase to keep you from replacing the MPV?