I paid $$$ for this? What is the strangest thing you've eaten?

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Going down to the usually-exquisite Intel Cafeteria, I thought I'd get something a bit foreign today. Cool. I got a monster burrito with shredded Tai chicken, rice, peppers, cucumber(-??), and some spices. That's really good. But, as I watched him make it, he put a sauce on the tortilla (which is bright green, btw). When I got it back to eat it, I wolfed down half of it. I'm pretty much going to explode now. It's huge. You've got to see it to believe it. Anyway, I just realized why I'm not feeling so good:
That "sauce" he put on was actually peanut butter.

How gross is that?! I thought it was strange enough to mix a latin idea (burrito) with a Tai idea (Tai spices). But peanut butter??

Anyway, what's the strangest thing you've eaten?

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Its thai spices, and yes intel's cafeteria tends to have some exotic foods to eat. Hotwing pizza anyone? Green peanut butter? doesn't sounds right to me.

ChrichtonsGirl

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2000
Horse meat steaks. Not by choice, I didn't understand enough French to realize what it was until after I'd taken a few torturous bites.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
ChrictonsGirl
You were probably sitting next to the president of Alpo Incorporated :p

adul
So this peanut butter stuff is actually Tai?? Ew. I've had alot better Tai food before this...

TomC
LOL@you

I guess drinking a MountainDew doesn't exactly help either...

ChrichtonsGirl

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2000
Even worse...they were basically raw - they froze them then just barely seared the outside. It was the single most revolting thing I've ever eaten, even before I knew what it was.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Yes, it's peanut sauce. Very popular in Thai food. I personally like it, but I understand it can be a little weird for someone who hasn't had it before. :)

The weirdest thing I've ever eaten? Rocky mountain oysters. Yep...my friend from Wyoming tricked me into eating one while I was visiting. If you don't know what they are, you don't wanna know. I threw up as soon as he told me what they were. :|

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I ate about 20 of them before somebody told me what they were. They told me they were chicken nuggets :)

Some BBQ sauce and you'll *gobble* them right down :Q

Kjazlaw

Feb 18, 2000
aren't they bull testicles? haha. i ate jellyfish once in japan. someone told me it was some kind of root. the weirdest texture i think i've ever experienced.

Warrenton

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
Rocky Mountain Oysters... what were once the testicle of a sheep. Fry them up and wolf 'em down.

They are removed from the sac and then all the tubing etc. is removed from them, basically they are peeled. Then they are fried. Actually they aren't too bad.

Rattlesnake meat is great, and so is gopher.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Rocky Mountain oysters, the parts left over after a bull becomes a steer.
I had some strange meals overseas, still not sure what some of them were. I do not recommend buying a sandwich off a street vendon in Naples though.
rattlesnake, boy scount campout
squirrel, you shoot it, you eat it.

Warrenton

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
I should add, that all three taste a lot like chicken. In fact a person usually can't tell the difference between rattlesnake and chicken. Gopher is usually a little different, tastes like chicken (literally) but has a texture of beef and the color of pork when cooked.

Warrenton

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
In Montana RMO's are both bull's and sheep. The sheep are a lot smaller.

I admit that I actually have gone to a restraunt and ordered RMO's

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Oddest thing's I've had are, Raccoon, BBQ Beaver, and Muskrat.

Yes, I've eaten BBQ Beaver :Q

Swag1138

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2000
I would have to say that ostrich burger I had a while back. It was mighty tasty.

I dont consider Squirrel/Rabbit/Rattlesnake really strange. But then I come from a family that grew up in West Virgina :)

Oh, and if you can get past the fact that they are pig intestines, and you have no sense of smell what so ever, Chitlins arent that bad.
Fried are the best.

And I took one look at an RMO and said no way. Plus the fact that when he offered them to me, my uncle had his "eat this, I dare you" grin on his face. When your family is West Virginian, you take heed whenever they offer you ANYTHING new.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I've also had Buffalo, which in itself isn't exactly "odd", it's just not very common in 99% of the US :)