I paid 625$ in pure upgrades...and I still need some help. :)

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Jungle maps on SC2 chug a little bit on 1920*1200 ultra. Borderlands is more often than not at 30fps. What have I done wrong? I also need advice on a PSU upgrade.

Any thoughts? Screw my immaturity. I'm done trolling. Thinking about possibly selling my Xfire 5770's and going green now? GTX 460?

Last edited:

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
I have a similar setup except with a different processor. I enjoy my gaming, not sure about you D:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
You do NOT need a 850W Corsair PSU to get stable OC on your system. Insane overkill. Also you chose to go Crossfire dual card which has lots of quirks with them. Your 5770's should not be that loud. Maybe you have a crappy case with crappy airflow.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Something else must be wrong. My system is lower specs than that and I can play things just fine. I can play most games fairly close to max settings.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Upgrades?
I could spend 625 on a gaming MACHINE, and it would be sweet.

Also, go troll OT.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I have an Antec P180 I paid 200$ for and a 3 case fans made by Noctua. I also have a Scythe Mugen 2 CPU cooler, with Scythe fan.

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Crossfire has scaling issues, this is a wide known fact. And for every driver update that fixes some cards in CF they screw up other cards. Honestly i would have went Nvidia for a dual card setup or with a more powerful single card ATI setup.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Well its seems I screwed up again. Guess that's why Tom's Hardware gave Xfire 5770's only an honorable mention in the 300$ category. :\ and Legion Hardware told me I was getting a 5870 for 200$ less.
Maybe I'll just wait for Southern Islands, see what Nvidia does in retaliation, and go green. SLI/Xfire is a total joke.

I just don't understand. Toms Hardware says THIS about the 5870!

For $100 less than the price of this card, a couple of Radeon HD 5770s (or a single Radeon HD 5850) can easily deliver exceptional performance in the games that matter today.

Uhm....does that mean 30fps in borderlands and slower jungle levels in SC2?

about the GTX 480

Besides, SLI compatibility is less common than CrossFire support, so a GeForce GTX 480 might be the only way to go for many enthusiasts.

Ehh?

And you say that 850W is too much. While I do not want to pay 130$ for a 850W corsair, what would get me a stable 4.0Ghz OC with Xfire 5770, and enough power to spare.

Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Well its seems I screwed up again. Guess that's why Tom's Hardware gave Xfire 5770's only an honorable mention in the 300$ category. :\ and Legion Hardware told me I was getting a 5870 for 200$ less.
Maybe I'll just wait for Southern Islands, see what Nvidia does in retaliation, and go green. SLI/Xfire is a total joke.

SLI/Xfire is not a total joke. You need to know what you are getting into. You should have made sure you knew all the quirks and downsides to it.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I've been here before. I'm not happy with PC gaming. People told me no wonder with that lowly Core 2 Duo (just look at the CACHE! oh GOD 1 mB) and that 7800GTX. Well, things are different now and I'm still not happy.

Jungle maps on SC2 chug a little bit on 1920*1200 ultra. Borderlands is more often than not at 30fps. I didn't just pay a min of 625$ for this utter crap. And I STILL need 130$ Corsair 850Watt PSU to get any OC close to stable.

Any thoughts? Screw my immaturity. I'm done trolling. I'll sell my Xfire and go Green.

I think a good general rule of thumb I go by is to get the best single GPU I choose to afford, and then in the future consider going the sli/xfire route as a viable upgrade alternative. Starting out with 5770's in xfire has potentially (not always) better performance than an hd5870, but also definitely has quirks and issues that may or may not make it worthwhile to start out with.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Jungle maps on SC2 chug a little bit on 1920*1200 ultra. Borderlands is more often than not at 30fps. I didn't just pay a min of 625$ for this utter crap. And I STILL need 130$ Corsair 850Watt PSU to get any OC close to stable.

For that setup, a decent 650W should be plenty. SC2 seems to be a bit bitchy. It runs absolutely flawlessly on my computer, but I've seen people with better specs complain that it runs like crap. I suggest a fresh reformat.

Any thoughts? Any sour insults to throw my way. Screw PC gaming, I'm done and I'm out. My 360 (which plays Borderlands just fine and looks great) and Wii will just have to suit my purposes for now. No fucking wonder PC gaming is dead. PC gaming is a total complete waste of technology and money. Console dev's have ONE set of specs to develop for. Guess what, they squeeze and squeeze and do amazing things. PC gaming is a total free for all in the dev realm.

Enjoy your 720P graphics and lack of anti-aliasing. You might think it looks good, but anyone with a good gaming rig (like, uh, yours) quickly realizes how wrong this is. Playing it on a big TV and sitting FAR away just makes it harder to see the imperfections, it doesn't magically make it look better.

Oh, and good luck running SC2 on your Xbox 360, especially without a keyboard / mouse.

(and my XFX Stock 5770 sounds like a LEAF Blower!, its fantastic....worse than my 360, just fantastic, what a fantastic stock heatsink fan setup ATI, I am very impressed)

If your HD 5770 sounds like a leaf blower, you have MAJOR problems. We have two (one in my SFF, and one in my brother's system) and in both cases they're by far the quietest part of the system, even under load. I highly suggest a fresh reformat / reinstall. You either have major ventilation problems or a ton of bad driver remnants causing problems. And no, the P180 is not a well ventilated case, my previous case was a P182 SE and things ran HOT inside there. You don't need to spend more on a case, just buy slightly faster fans (assuming your Noctuas are slow speed) for $2.50 / ea. and clean up some cable clutter.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
Running the GTX 460 on my "ancient" Core 2 Duo with 3GB of RAM at 1680x1050 and SC2 runs completely smooth. A single $200 upgrade and I'm a very happy camper.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
u have 2 5770 in xfire and your having problems keeping 30fps on a 24?

Id say it really depends on what type of settings you have on.

Im on 24's and on some games max'd even on quadfire on 2 x HD4870X2's is enough for me to get 60fps+.

Running the GTX 460 on my "ancient" Core 2 Duo with 3GB of RAM at 1680x1050 and SC2 runs completely smooth. A single $200 upgrade and I'm a very happy camper.

until someone comes in with a carrier rush, and brings your processor to a crawl.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Damn!
Should have quoted the OP. I always forget to do that.

I think there is quite enough of my immaturity already quoted....thanks. :D
Bought a new Corsair 850Watt so I will never have to worry about my PSU ever ever ever again. So thats cool. The whole Borderlands fiasco is an ATI problem I really have no control over...so I'll stop fretting about that.

As for the SC2 thing, it runs great except for some jungle maps which is a little weird. Space/Desert and anything else runs from what I can tell at 60fps even with 4x4AI, massive amounts of units covering the screen, NEXUS wars insanity, etc. 30 carriers going, its still smooth. Coming from me that's saying ALOT cause I'm a whiny little unhappy OCD bitch when it comes to PC performance. The jungle though, something is unoptimized or ATI driver stuff. I'm just going to tell myself everything is okay and wait for Catalyst 8 to resolve my problems.

As for my XFX 5770 being loud, I might try a different cooling arrangement.I honostly didn't even think that is was inadequate airflow of the case, instead I was gonna throw the f'er out, brashness. I was thinking of pulling out my extra hard drive bay in the front of the P180 and sucking air INTO the case because there are mounts in the front of the case for an intake fan. The P180 also came with a VGA fan carrier thing, that I may implement that would sit right in front of the cards and blow air into them. I may also add a push/pull on the arrangement on the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B, as silentpc says that's the absolute best way to run this specific cooler.

The fact is though, I have this XFX lifetime warranty, but if I take off the stock cooler I lose it. So I'll just try cool it with my own Nexus/Noctua awesome fans so it never has to turn on. I can do that. No need to blowup and curse everything.

This thread was a lost cause in a moment of weakness from the beginning.

Last edited:

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
my brother has a single 5770 and its soooo quiet it puts my 4870 to shame.... and he has the egg cooler one. He doesnt have a problem running anything on his 22" 1680X1050 and he has a crappier cpu then you. On your CCC make sure A.I. is not disable I hear if it is Xfire will not work. I also heard that drivers 10.6 and 10.7 kinda suck you might wanna try rolling back drivers to 10.5.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006

until someone comes in with a carrier rush, and brings your processor to a crawl.

Actually, I haven't had any slow-downs in either the campaign or multiplayer, including 4v4/FFA. Custom games, like Nexus Wars, is another story though... Overall I'm still happy with my old E6400.