I officially feel old watching Metallica....

Nov 8, 2012
Metallica, probably one of my first bands that had me hooked in life... is officially old... therefore, I'm officially old....

I got around to watching their new S&M2 special where they perform with a symphony orchestra.

James Hetfield officially looks like a grandpa. I feel like I'm watching The Eagles.

1599347230814.png

I mean here he was not that far back...

1599347454138.png

At least Kirk still looks semi young - which isn't surprising to me. If anyone was using anti-aging creams it would definitely be him heh.

Lars is clearly daddy playing the drums for fun - not that he was a drummer worth a shit to begin with.

1599347505273.png

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I first saw Metallica in 1985 It was in a small club called Cardi's, probably around 300 people tops, in Houston when they released Ride the Lightning...I even got Cliff Burton's (RIP) autograph earlier that day...That was a pretty epic night if you were a heavy metal fan...earlier, Iron Maiden and WASP played at the Summit (which is now Joel Olsteen's place, go figure...) and Metallica and Armored Saint played later...
DSC04366.JPG

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
It hit me when i heard an Ozzy song in a car commercial :(

I first saw Metallica in 1985 It was in a small club called Cardi's, probably around 300 people tops, in Houston when they released Ride the Lightning...I even got Cliff Burton's (RIP) autograph earlier that day...That was a pretty epic night if you were a heavy metal fan...earlier, Iron Maiden and WASP played at the Summit (which is now Joel Olsteen's place, go figure...) and Metallica and Armored Saint played later...
Fayto6t.gif

I believe it was on the Master Of Puppets tour that i first saw Metallica. I'm pretty fuzzy on that one, don't remember where or with who. I think they opened for someone(Ozzy???). Anyone know if they were headliners on that tour?

Armored Saint-
I had forgot about them till i heard their 'Win Hands Down'(2015) album several months ago. That thing rocks!

Nov 29, 2006
I first saw them at Oakland Coliseum in 92. Body Count, Metallica, GnR. If i remember right Body Count was supposed to be Faith No More as opening act, but singer got sick or something. Metallica should have been the final act, but GnR was. Kind of a let down going from Metallica into November Rain etc. I love GnR, just wrong order for a concert.

I basically can’t listen to any Metallica after the Black album.

Fans pretty much destroyed the baseball field.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
I don't know man... they might be old, but they can still rock HARD :)

Sidenote: Rob totally doesn't belong in this band. He never looked the part - and it just... isn't for him. He also honesty just lucked out that he was chosen and that Newstead left.

He would fit in more with some dumb screamo music or something.

And for the love of fuck, you don't have to hold your bass so low to the point where you look like a chimp.

Also finally got through S&M2 last night... It was basically a complete re-do of the first S&M? I was honestly hoping for more classics, there is just far too much in there from their shit albums of load/reload, etc...

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Loved their albums up until they released the "Black" album. They definitely went a different beginning with that one, but the album was still decent, I saw them in their concert support of the Black album, along with Danzig and Suicidal Tendencies being the opening acts. In my opinion those two bands played way better sets, as Metallica really made their time very generic/boring.

I had high hopes when their next album (Load) was released, but it was obvious by their new short haircuts and suits, their music/focus had changed, and there never be another great album released by them. The new re-branding sold them a lot of albums for sure, but that's when I kinda gave up following them as I knew they wouldn't release anything as good as their 80s albums.

Reactions: soulcougher73

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I saw them at Petco Park in San Diego a couple summers ago. They still rock and that place was packed.

My ears were ringing for a day or two after that concert.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Also one of my first "hooked on" bands.

Saw them at two different Summer Sanitarium stops well over a decade ago now. Had some VIP passes, met them briefly back stage, was pretty cool. Seemed like good dudes.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I’ve seen them four times...Black album, Load/Reload era, St. Anger era and one other random date. They ushered in the modern era of metal, survived grunge and while I didn’t think their last two albums were memorable, they still can bring the noise. They were on Howard Stern recently, and were pretty amazing both as an interview and performance.

Nov 8, 2012
I’ve seen them four times...Black album, Load/Reload era, St. Anger era and one other random date. They ushered in the modern era of metal, survived grunge and while I didn’t think their last two albums were memorable, they still can bring the noise. They were on Howard Stern recently, and were pretty amazing both as an interview and performance.

They also know their new shit sucks and during live performances (for me at least) they always went back and did Ride the lightning / Master of Puppets / AJFA stuff more than anything else.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
They also know their new shit sucks and during live performances (for me at least) they always went back and did Ride the lightning / Master of Puppets / AJFA stuff more than anything else.
I can’t remember which tour it was, but for one of their shows, the stage “collapsed”, a guy ran across the stage on fire and the venue went dark...then they turned on a few light bulbs suspended over the stage, surrounded by a few small amps, and then went into an incredible set off Ride the Lightning, Kill Em All and Master of Puppets.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I last saw them in 1993 or 94, and it was an OK performance from them. However, both opening acts really were better live. To me it seems once they went "mainstream" with the black album, along with all the attention and money they made from it, they changed. Once they released Load and Reload, with their short hair and suits on the back of the album, there was no doubt.

While a song here or there is decent since they released Load, I rarely listen to their music anymore at all. Once in a while I'll throw on their classic albums, but it's not the same ever since I really moved away from being a fan of them.

On a side note, I never knew until just a few months ago when I read an article about them, the "artwork" they used for the album cover of Load and Reload was a mixture of blood and semen. :oops:

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Formation of metallica is closer to the end of WWII than present day.

There. Thats a thing you know now.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante