Discussion I now have acute pancreatitis.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
No doubt by now you know alcohol has no safe dose level and attacks the Pancreas .

TechYoda

Aug 21, 2019
Acute pancreatitis should come with severe pain in abdomen and might irradiate to the spine. Hope you just got something that your pancrease coudn't manage and it will pass.
whm1974 just curious how many mountain dew had you been drinking?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Acute pancreatitis should come with severe pain in abdomen and might irradiate to the spine. Hope you just got something that your pancrease coudn't manage and it will pass.
whm1974 just curious how many mountain dew had you been drinking?
4 to 6 2L bottles a day when I went overnight, and quit cold turkey when I got out.

TechYoda

Aug 21, 2019
4 to 6 2L bottles a day when I went overnight, and quit cold turkey when I got out.
Oh wow, what did you substitute it with? I drink pepsi a lot and really would like to stop but the best what i did for now is buying diet one sometimes. :confounded:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Oh wow, what did you substitute it with? I drink pepsi a lot and really would like to stop but the best what i did for now is buying diet one sometimes. :confounded:
I get the tea mix from Ruler Foods which is owned by Kroger and one large straw will fill a 2L bottle up.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Replace it with water. You will feel 10000% better.
I've never drunk Mountain Dew in my life. Gave up all soda. Don't miss it a bit. I just drank about 20 oz of lemonade - An ice cube I made with fresh lemons a few weeks ago, from my freezer + 20 oz water + about 1/12th teaspoon stevia powder. It's a bloody hot day, I just skated and biked home 5 miles from the gym and it's 93 outside.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The pancreatitis can be very fickle!!
But once you damage your pancreas the best you can do is maintain a proper diet and above all NO Alchohol or sodas!!
You do not want Chronic pancreatitis, trust me it is no fun!! My sister lives with chronic pancratitis and she is one miserable woman!!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
But once you damage your pancreas the best you can do is maintain a proper diet and above all NO Alchohol or sodas!!
You do not want Chronic pancreatitis, trust me it is no fun!! My sister lives with chronic pancratitis and she is one miserable woman!!
Well my acute pancreatitis did go away once I quite drinking all that diet soda. I wasn't in any pain, but as the Doc told me I just no to eat healthier and be regular with my bowel movements.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow, that was a ton of pop you were drinkin man.

I was admitted to the hospital for nine days once, finding out I had pancreatitis. I was drinking about a fifth a day at the time, maybe a tad more. For me the pain was high up in my chest, basically right at that upside-down shaped 'U' bone (bottom of your rib cage, in the center) in the center of your chest.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Wow, that was a ton of pop you were drinkin man.

I was admitted to the hospital for nine days once, finding out I had pancreatitis. I was drinking about a fifth a day at the time, maybe a tad more. For me the pain was high up in my chest, basically right at that upside-down shaped 'U' bone (bottom of your rib cage, in the center) in the center of your chest.
A fifth a day? You mean the hard stuff? Unbelievable. Have you quit "drinking?" I think you're lucky to be alive.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
You need to get really serious about this. What I like to do is a little psychology on myself. First, remember that anything new that you do is going to be HARD. Let's not kid ourselves here. What I like to do is I'll link pain and pleasure to both my short term and the long term goal of getting healthy and in shape. For example, I feel awesome when I get done my workout. But getting to the gym can be a pain in the ass. Especially in the winter. it's 10 degrees. It's freezing, the wind is howling. There might be snow on the ground. It's then I'll link the pleasure of finishing my workout and getting that endorpnie rush after it's done. I'm like YES. I like feeling great so I hit the gym. I'll be more focused, and my day normally runs awesome when I go to the gym in the morning. I also have a long term (1-5 year) vision of myself. I'll ask myself "how would I fel in 1, 3, and 5 years if I were to stick to this healthy eating/workout plan. Would I look more muscular. Healthier? Have a ton more energy? Would I feel more alive? Yes! That gives me the motivation to keep working out and eating clean. Now, with the pain aspect, I'll ask myself how would I feel if I didn't workout today? If I ate like shit today. I would let myself down. I would feel just bad mentally because I didn't do the things I said that I'd do like workout and limit my sugar intake. What about long term? How would I feel if I were to keep going with this lifestyle and it's 5 years later? Would I be in declining health? Maybe have a larger stomach? Feel badly about myself. Less confidence. More annoyed at myself for allowing this to happen? Regret and pain? Of course, yes! So, it's that pull between pleasure/pain. As human beings we are always avoiding pain and seeking pleasure. This is what we are wired to do. You have to make exercise/ eating healthy pleasurabe, but also know that if you don't do this you're probably going straight into a painful experience.

Anyway, I know this post was a bit long. It's worked incredibly well for me though. Another thing is to take very small steps. If you haven't been to the gym, or exercised in a long time don't expect to be in the gym for an hour a day 6X a week. Try to exercise for just 1 minute. A great book on this is called Micro Habits. The author described how he wanted to exercise but was having difficulty implementing it in his life. He was starting, and then he stopped his exercise plan all the time. Like most people. His strategy was just to do one push up. After, that he did 2, then 3 and after 6 months he was in the gym for 1hr 4-5 days a week. Hadn't missed a day. You need to make it a habit first. I believe it's 30-60 days straight before a habit is developed. I like to go 90 days without breaking it. By then it almost becomes automatice for me. Good luck.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You need to get really serious about this. What I like to do is a little psychology on myself. First, remember that anything new that you do is going to be HARD. Let's not kid ourselves here. What I like to do is I'll link pain and pleasure to both my short term and the long term goal of getting healthy and in shape. For example, I feel awesome when I get done my workout. But getting to the gym can be a pain in the ass. Especially in the winter. it's 10 degrees. It's freezing, the wind is howling. There might be snow on the ground. It's then I'll link the pleasure of finishing my workout and getting that endorpnie rush after it's done. I'm like YES. I like feeling great so I hit the gym. I'll be more focused, and my day normally runs awesome when I go to the gym in the morning. I also have a long term (1-5 year) vision of myself. I'll ask myself "how would I fel in 1, 3, and 5 years if I were to stick to this healthy eating/workout plan. Would I look more muscular. Healthier? Have a ton more energy? Would I feel more alive? Yes! That gives me the motivation to keep working out and eating clean. Now, with the pain aspect, I'll ask myself how would I feel if I didn't workout today? If I ate like shit today. I would let myself down. I would feel just bad mentally because I didn't do the things I said that I'd do like workout and limit my sugar intake. What about long term? How would I feel if I were to keep going with this lifestyle and it's 5 years later? Would I be in declining health? Maybe have a larger stomach? Feel badly about myself. Less confidence. More annoyed at myself for allowing this to happen? Regret and pain? Of course, yes! So, it's that pull between pleasure/pain. As human beings we are always avoiding pain and seeking pleasure. This is what we are wired to do. You have to make exercise/ eating healthy pleasurabe, but also know that if you don't do this you're probably going straight into a painful experience.

Anyway, I know this post was a bit long. It's worked incredibly well for me though. Another thing is to take very small steps. If you haven't been to the gym, or exercised in a long time don't expect to be in the gym for an hour a day 6X a week. Try to exercise for just 1 minute. A great book on this is called Micro Habits. The author described how he wanted to exercise but was having difficulty implementing it in his life. He was starting, and then he stopped his exercise plan all the time. Like most people. His strategy was just to do one push up. After, that he did 2, then 3 and after 6 months he was in the gym for 1hr 4-5 days a week. Hadn't missed a day. You need to make it a habit first. I believe it's 30-60 days straight before a habit is developed. I like to go 90 days without breaking it. By then it almost becomes automatice for me. Good luck.
Very fine post... stellar! Inspiring, in fact, and right to the heart of the matter.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My sister in law had pancreatitis attacks, 2 or 3 (spaced by maybe a year or two) that had her hospitalized. The last one killed her fast.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
My sister in law had pancreatitis attacks, 2 or 3 (spaced by maybe a year or two) that had her hospitalized. The last one killed her fast.

Hey, thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry about your sister so my condolences. It's a shame that for many people food and drink are almost like drug use. There are people who will eat and drink themselves to death. Even when they know that there life is on the line. Same with smokers, drinkers and drug users. They just rationalize their lives away. Funny how I had a coworker who was trying to convince me that eating red meat was worse than smoking. This guy was a pack a day smoker, and a vegan. Lol, go figure.

It's why I think sugar use is going to be monitored by the government sometime in the future. IMO, it's going to get really bad, fast. Think of those chubby slightly overweight 20 somethings. In 20 years, they are going to be overweight 40 plus middle age adults with medical issues that could in fact cripple our health care. It's epidemic and much of the blame is our large sugar intake. Cakes, sodas, and its in most foods that we think are normally good for us. 16 tons a year for the average American.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hey, thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry about your sister so my condolences. It's a shame that for many people food and drink are almost like drug use. There are people who will eat and drink themselves to death. Even when they know that there life is on the line. Same with smokers, drinkers and drug users. They just rationalize their lives away. Funny how I had a coworker who was trying to convince me that eating red meat was worse than smoking. This guy was a pack a day smoker, and a vegan. Lol, go figure.

It's why I think sugar use is going to be monitored by the government sometime in the future. IMO, it's going to get really bad, fast. Think of those chubby slightly overweight 20 somethings. In 20 years, they are going to be overweight 40 plus middle age adults with medical issues that could in fact cripple our health care. It's epidemic and much of the blame is our large sugar intake. Cakes, sodas, and its in most foods that we think are normally good for us. 16 tons a year for the average American.
Actually it was my sister_in_law, not my sister who died of acute pancreatitis. My sister is AFAIK quite healthy, doesn't touch alcohol, probably never a smoker, is a physical therapist. She's made a career out of helping people stay healthy and independent. Her specialty is geriatric care.

"16 tons a year for the average American." That's what? Sugar??? Total of those foods bad for you?

I have to agree with you here, based on the info I've been getting. You put 2 and 2 together and see that we have a burgeoning health crisis what with the bad eating etc. habits of Americans and it's been getting worse. The documentary Fed Up! is an eye opener. Sugar is addictive. They document this very well. It's not entertainment but it's crucial. They don't pull their punches.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
A fifth a day? You mean the hard stuff? Unbelievable. Have you quit "drinking?" I think you're lucky to be alive.
Yeah, fifth of usually vodka. But I went through phases of rum and tequila and gin and whatever else. It might've been a bit more but it was about a fifth a day. I don't want to exaggerate so I just put it at a fifth.

Yeah I guess the doctors said I was pretty bad. It was after a weekend of just straight drinking. I stayed in bed the whole time, whenever I woke up I just grabbed the fifth underneath the pillow next to me, took a few shots, and went back to sleep. Didn't want to be awake. The worst thing about it was the DTs I went through (in the hospital). I've been through them multiple times, and good Lord, I don't wish that upon anyone. Little did I know when I went through them each time, you could die from alcohol w/d. I'm a lucky son of a bitch in many respects.

I'm sober now. I went through a few years of struggling (I wasn't truly ready to quit, to be honest), but after losing a second job in 2013 something must've clicked because I've been sober since the end of September, 2013.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Actually it was my sister_in_law, not my sister who died of acute pancreatitis. My sister is AFAIK quite healthy, doesn't touch alcohol, probably never a smoker, is a physical therapist. She's made a career out of helping people stay healthy and independent. Her specialty is geriatric care.

"16 tons a year for the average American." That's what? Sugar??? Total of those foods bad for you?

I have to agree with you here, based on the info I've been getting. You put 2 and 2 together and see that we have a burgeoning health crisis what with the bad eating etc. habits of Americans and it's been getting worse. The documentary Fed Up! is an eye opener. Sugar is addictive. They document this very well. It's not entertainment but it's crucial. They don't pull their punches.

I'll check out te film. Have you seen That Sugar Film? Based in Australia, the star of the film Damon eats a typical Western diet that consisit of 40 tsp of sugar a day. It's actually free on YT. It's in the same vein as Super Size Me.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm sober now. I went through a few years of struggling (I wasn't truly ready to quit, to be honest), but after losing a second job in 2013 something must've clicked because I've been sober since the end of September, 2013.
You are a god, I worship you!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'll check out te film. Have you seen That Sugar Film? Based in Australia, the star of the film Damon eats a typical Western diet that consisit of 40 tsp of sugar a day. It's actually free on YT. It's in the same vein as Super Size Me.

You won't regret seeing Fed Up, I assure you! I'll check out That Sugar Film.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
You are a god, I worship you!
Haha. Thanks, I guess ;-). I'm still a drink away from returning to that though. Just can't even have one. That's the thing with us alcoholics; we can't stop drinking once we start (you may be able to do it a few times, but not consistently). It's always "more, more, more" even if you're already feeling good/high (this is true for any drug/addiction).

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Haha. Thanks, I guess ;-). I'm still a drink away from returning to that though. Just can't even have one. That's the thing with us alcoholics; we can't stop drinking once we start (you may be able to do it a few times, but not consistently). It's always "more, more, more" even if you're already feeling good/high (this is true for any drug/addiction).

The problem with moderation it doesn't work for addiction. This is why you need to set bright lines with your drinking. A bright line is in the same vein a lawyer would make when they hammer out a contract. It just means that under any circumstance you will not have a drink period. I like setting bright lines with a lot of my negative habits. For me, that would be not eating at Mcdonalds. I don't eat at Mcdonalds period. There is nothing fuzzy about it. It allows me to free up my willpowere so I'm not always fighting myself. It's a clearly defined rule. I don't eat fast food period. So why even think about it? It's a done deal.