Discussion I now have acute pancreatitis.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ok I went Thursday about 11:30 AM to the ER and spent overnight in the hospital and came home around 2:30 this afternoon. I wasn't feeling well due to nausa, vomited a few times this and last and had some diarrhea. Aside from severe headaches I had no pain.

Well it turnss that I had acute Pancreastitis and low sodium levels caused by drinking way too much diet mountain dew. So the doctor said no more soda at all for me. Well I guess I'm going to finally quit drinking that anymore.

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
Those sugar dosages would kill me.

inflammation and osmotic stress are hard on cells.

Consider anti inflammatories. and health foods.

b-50 complex, fish oil, flax oil, uncooked ev olive oil, olives, ginger, tumeric, garlic, blueberries, cranberries, cinnamon, organic oats.

replace those corn syrup drinks with kevita, GT's, or home made probiotic ciders.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Paid $100/ visit for a lady to tell me what I already knew. Nutrition was my lifestyle until I hit 240. The $$ aspect, out of my pocket, got my attention.

Best of.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Make an appointment with a nutritionist now. If you drink another drop of soda you're an idiot. A co-worker of mine just dropped dead from a heart attack in his mid-40s. He was obese but for nearly the past year doing a good job of losing weight and changing his habits. Unfortunately, sometimes it's just too late.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Make an appointment with a nutritionist now. If you drink another drop of soda you're an idiot. A co-worker of mine just dropped dead from a heart attack in his mid-40s. He was obese but for nearly the past year doing a good job of losing weight and changing his habits. Unfortunately, sometimes it's just too late.
Well I haven't had any soda since Thursday morning and man the headaches are killer.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Those sugar dosages would kill me.

inflammation and osmotic stress are hard on cells.

Consider anti inflammatories. and health foods.

b-50 complex, fish oil, flax oil, uncooked ev olive oil, olives, ginger, tumeric, garlic, blueberries, cranberries, cinnamon, organic oats.

replace those corn syrup drinks with kevita, GT's, or home made probiotic ciders.
Eat food.
Not too much.
Mostly plants.

Reactions: GoodRevrnd

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
Well I haven't had any soda since Thursday morning and man the headaches are killer.

Try substituting coffee (no sugar, cream ok). You can use a pinch (1-2g) of glycine as sweetener; a drop of honey plus pinch of stevia if absolutely needed.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well I'm slowly starting to feel better as I don't have any nausea anymore, but still have the painful headaches.

Reactions: highland145

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Well I'm slowly starting to feel better as I don't have any nausea anymore, but still have the painful headaches.

Glad you're feeling better. Hydrate hydrate hydrate ... with water! If it's caffeine withdrawal headaches, a little caffeine supplementation with pills is not unreasonable if you had no reason to avoid caffeine initially.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Eat food.
Not too much.
Mostly plants.
Was down nearly 30 lbs at one point doing this. The not too much part has slipped though and I've put almost 10 back on. :(

A bit of green tea would be the best way to ease off the caffeine.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Make an appointment with a nutritionist now. If you drink another drop of soda you're an idiot.
It's no joke. Acute pancreatitis can reoccur. It did that in my brother's wife and killed her... very quickly and unexpectedly.

I never drink soda anymore, I don't miss it a bit. I could, but know it's not good for me. Wouldn't dream of buying or ordering soda. Listen to your doctor and your nutritionist. Get your checkups on time and as advised.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
It's no joke. Acute pancreatitis can reoccur. It did that in my brother's wife and killed her... very quickly and unexpectedly.

I never drink soda anymore, I don't miss it a bit. I could, but know it's not good for me. Wouldn't dream of buying or ordering soda. Listen to your doctor and your nutritionist. Get your checkups on time and as advised.

Pancreatitis is no joke. With regard to the pancreas, a well known "rule" in the field of surgery is "Don't fuck with the pancreas."

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well folks I went to see my doctor yesterday and it turns out that I don't have pancreatitis but my bowels are packed. So the doctor told me to eat more fruits and veggies and crap everyday. And drink more water.

My case manager told me her sister died from that.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
impacted bowel is not funny no matter how many jokes there are about it.

You may need more than just fruits and veggies. I would also suggest high fiber foods like beans and plenty of water to keep things moving.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
That was the last straw for my Dad. Emphysema was the primary but the morphine constipated him to death.

Psyllium + what Iron said.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
impacted bowel is not funny no matter how many jokes there are about it.
Anything like a severe intestinal pain is very scary to me. AFAIK, I've never had something serious. Actually, in my 20s I had something going on and the doctors were quite worried, IIRC, but it was just a very worrisome time, summer of 1967. Cops were beating up protesters in the streets of Chicago at the Democratic convention willy nilly. The country was in turmoil, I felt the pressure. But I don't think there was anything physically wrong with me, I was just emotionally traumatized. It presented as a gastrointestinal issue.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I think part of problem was I pooping when I wanted to and not when needed to.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
How would you not have exploded? The psyllium/water ensure I'm regular whether I want to be or not.

How is that working out? I've noticed in the past maybe six months my bowel movements have remained fairly regular (drinking coffee at the same time every morning helps), but not really the best consistency if you catch my drift, and I often get bloating. My diet hasn't changed - I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, red meat once a week, pork/chicken a couple days a week, oatmeal three days a week.

I'm thinking maybe it's stress-related, but I don't know. Doctor time?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
How is that working out? I've noticed in the past maybe six months my bowel movements have remained fairly regular (drinking coffee at the same time every morning helps), but not really the best consistency if you catch my drift, and I often get bloating. My diet hasn't changed - I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, red meat once a week, pork/chicken a couple days a week, oatmeal three days a week.

I'm thinking maybe it's stress-related, but I don't know. Doctor time?
I wouldn't go to the DR. Getting too much psyllium can be problematic like you've suggested. The last thing I want is to be out on a bike ride and have nature make a 911 call.:oops: I don't take any the day before a rife.

I take probiotics too.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Eat oatmeal every day. Just stay away from that instant crap. Since I started eating oats for breakfast in Oct. 2016 things have been running smoothly. I also add a 1tbps of freshly ground flax seed and the seeds that don't get fully ground up help move gut bacteria to the bowels. I prep overnight oats in 3 containers. Here is how I fix my oats.

Smash 1/2 banana
add 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
add 1 tbps. ground flax seeds (optional)
add 1 tbps chia seeds (optional)
add about 5/8 cup of your favorite milk. I used plant-based milk
add cinnamon if desired
Cook in microwave for 1 min. 30 seconds to eat immediately or cover and store in fridge if making overnight oats.
Top with berries
add more milk or water for desired consistency. I usually warm up my overnight oats right before eating.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Well folks I went to see my doctor yesterday and it turns out that I don't have pancreatitis but my bowels are packed. So the doctor told me to eat more fruits and veggies and crap everyday. And drink more water.

My case manager told me her sister died from that.
Wait. The ED diagnosed you with pancreatitis that you didn't actually have?