I never saw LOTR or read any of the books

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
If you are a Star Wars/Star Trek nut... you MIGHT be able to keep it. I doubt it though...

rolleye.gif

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
They're fair tough books to read. The writing style of the 50s is much different than today. Working on the third book in that series now.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
They're fair tough books to read. The writing style of the 50s is much different than today. Working on the third book in that series now.

tough? they're quite light and easy. Silmarillion's a bit tough the first time around, so is The Lost Tales, but they're much easier second time around.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Do I have to hand in my Official Geek Membership card ?
Nah! JRR is not for everyone, although I happen to enjoy him.
Try "The Hobbit", to see if you like his style.

MikeO

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001

I've never read the books either and only got through halfway of the movie before noticing it's one of the most boring movies I've ever tried to watch...

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I read LoTR in jr. High. All of them.

I had to wait until sophemore year in high school before I could actually read A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin and understand everything about it... In my opinion, way better books. :)

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Silmarillion's a bit tough the first time around

WHAT?!?! A BIT tough. Tolkien rewrote the Bible for middle earth. It's gotta be the hardest to read book I've ever read. It's interesting, in fact it's a great book. But it is VERY hard to read.

LOTR was easy though and rocked

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I've never read the books, and I'm not gonig to, cause I don't want to know what happens before the next movies come out. :eek:

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: venk

I must pity you :( ;)

Go out and read the books or at least see the movie :)

Cheers,
Aquaman

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
read the hobbit then see the movie. The hobbit is a kids book, but it gives a good backstory to the movie, and helps understand the "culture". I saw the movie, and I'm currently reading book 1. I'm glad I hadn't read it before, but I think I might have been dissapointed with the movie otherwise. I won't read books 2 and 3 until I see the movies. The first book, Fellowship of the Ring, is a little slow, but it picked up and is pretty good so far. I also know what happens,so :)

Even if you don't read the Hobbit, see the movie, definitely worth it.

walkur

May 1, 2001
LOTR is by no means a difficult book compared to "real literature".
I ,as a non navite english speaker, read the trilogy in 2 days (sleep is severely overrated) when i was 17, so how hard can it be :D

<----- Real (english) fantasy book freak

zimmie6576

Apr 7, 2002
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw
Originally posted by: venk

You can be forgiven, but first you must do five hail Braks and nine Harry Potters.

Ahhhhh!! I don't want to know how to "do" a Harry Potter....

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I've only seen Episode I. Never saw/read LOTR, never liked Star Trek, and only watched Star Wars Ep 1 last week because someone at work was shocked I've never seen it. So I made him watch Slapshot and I watched that.

Am I the anti-Geek?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Silmarillion is a nearly unreadable book. Including myself I know 3-4 other people who have tried reading it and not a one of us could make any headway at all. I'm sure that if I wrote down notes as I went and spent 15 minutes a page I could but I think this is a poor book. It's so complex that I can't conclude anything but that it was badly written.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Silmarillion is a nearly unreadable book. Including myself I know 3-4 other people who have tried reading it and not a one of us could make any headway at all. I'm sure that if I wrote down notes as I went and spent 15 minutes a page I could but I think this is a poor book. It's so complex that I can't conclude anything but that it was badly written.

Skoorb i am disappointed in you. The Simarillion tells some wonderful stories and I don't find it THAT hard to read. Sure it's harder to get through than LOTR, but I've seen more challenging books.

I guess you also need to have a profound interest in Middle-earth and its long history to find the book bearable though. I also don't recommend the Simarillion until you've read LOTR at least twice, just to get yourself more acquainted with Middle-earth. Then you can move onto other books like Unfinished Tales (another great book) and the 12-volume History of Middle-earth.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Your not missing out on anything when it comes to the movie, I didn't read the books so i can't comment on that.