I never realized that baby sweat can stink so bad.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
my fiance brought over her nephew last night and he stayed with us. he's like 7 or 8 months old.

her brother (his father) was telling me a few weeks ago about how sometimes they have to give him 2 baths a day because he's so active and just gets sweaty and smells.

so yesterday i went to help my fiance get him out of hte car and he was all b undled up and he had been sweating. immediately I could smell him.

then we carried him upstairs and when he got out of his winter jacket and stuff man he sure did stink still.

i just did not realize that baby sweat stinks. so my fiance gave him a bath and got him cleaned up.

does all baby sweat stink bad or could this be a problem with him and personal hygene?

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Our baby's sweat smells like roses. :)

Seriously, our 4 month old has only gotten sweaty a handful of times, and I can't remember a strong odor at any of those times. Of course, there's a world of difference between a 4 month old and an 8th month old (your nephew is probably eating a lot more solid foods), but that's just my experience.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
i've never smelled a sweaty baby and i have 6 nephews and 6 nieces. all i've smelled on them is spit up or a messy diaper, but luckily most of the time they've just had that beautiful warm baby smell.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
A baby's head is the sweetest smell on earth. Seriously.

I can't ever remember any of my three boys having 'body odor'. The only time they smelled unpleasant was when they spit up, pooped, or peed themselves.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: SearchMaster

I can't ever remember any of my three boys having 'body odor'. The only time they smelled unpleasant was when they spit up, pooped, or peed themselves.

Same here - in all seriousness, a bad smell is likely a product of an odd diet or a health problem.

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
My son plays pretty hard but doesn't have any kind bad smell except for his feet. When he is in shoes for a while playing his feet can get a little smelly but I'm sure he might have gotten that from me.

That's about it though.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Does it actually smell like BO?

That would be odd.. I don't think I've ever noticed a baby with BO.

I'm going to agree, what are they feeding this kid?

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Originally posted by: rivan

Same here - in all seriousness, a bad smell is likely a product of an odd diet or a health problem.

Same here also, I love the way my baby smells. What are they eating? My 10 month old is constantly moving from 6am to 8pm, maybe they are getting to hot with what they are wearing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

yea it's mainly from his head. like he was all bundled up yesterday and his head and hair were all sweaty, then when we took his jacket off WWHHEEEWWW!!

EDIT:

and no it's not a BO type smell.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: purbeast0

yea it's mainly from his head. like he was all bundled up yesterday and his head and hair were all sweaty, then when we took his jacket off WWHHEEEWWW!!

EDIT:

could be a by-product of cradle cap.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: RKS
Originally posted by: purbeast0

EDIT:

could be a by-product of cradle cap.
OP, is the baby's scalp crusty? Cradle cap can have a pungent smell.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000

No kidding we had the two grandchildren over the weekend. The youngest is 4 months. I had forgotten how good babies smell.

btw-that youngest one I call the miracle baby because she had open heart surgery two months ago. She's such a treasure.