I need to learn more about CPUs..the kinda in-depth stuff.

Paralyzer

Aug 26, 2001
Can someone please tell me a site to go to to learn some remotely compelx information about CPUs. I understand what registers are, and the memory bus, and FSB, BSB, bit-sizes in CPUs..simple stuff. I was looking at some information on the AMD Hammer, and all I could think of was "Good lord I don't get this". All this talk of ALU, Floating Point registers, and other insanely complex stuff I didn't get. Where can I learn about this stuff? Is there ANY website that I can learn about all this computer engineering stuff. Cause I really wanna know it ;)

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Aces Hardware, definitely :)

Or if you want to really get into it then go pick up a book by Hennessy and Patterson called "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach" it's basically considered the bible on microprocessor architecture. That's quite a ways beyond the mainstream architecture that's commonly discussed on AT though.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Also, do a search here for posts by pm and Sohcan. They consistantly offer up excellent explanations and often give very good suggestions for other reading material.

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000

<< Also, do a search here for posts by pm and Sohcan. They consistantly offer up excellent explanations and often give very good suggestions for other reading material. >>

Also burntkooshie. Oh, and wingz has some good posts too ;)

if you do a search in the highly technical forum, you'll probably find some good threads with lots of links :)

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000

<< Aces Hardware, definitely :)

Or if you want to really get into it then go pick up a book by Hennessy and Patterson called "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach" it's basically considered the bible on microprocessor architecture. That's quite a ways beyond the mainstream architecture that's commonly discussed on AT though.
>>

Another book by them, "Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface" is also very good... it doesn't get as detailed (or so I'm told - I haven't read Quatitative Approach)