• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

I need to get water up to a garden that is 100' away

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
I am planning on planting a large garden that is 100~ feet away from the house spigot. My hose will reach, however, the water pressure is too low. What type of pump can I add to the house hose spigot to add more pressure?

If it matters, I am on a well system with a pressure tank in the house that supplies the house spigot/bib. Someone had mentioned to look to see if it would cavitate the house system.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
is it uphill? what size hose? what is your water pressure set at on the tank?

you should not have a problem with 100 feet of hose if everything else is set up correctly. i have 300 feet of 3/4 hose and have no trouble with pressure when using a sprinkler or a sprayer. we have about 75 psi of water pressure.

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
There is an upward elevation, not much, maybe 10'. The hose is 5/8". Our well's pressure tank is at 40 PSI for the house.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
There is an upward elevation, not much, maybe 10'. The hose is 5/8". Our well's pressure tank is at 40 PSI for the house.
Ouch...that's rough. With a max psi of only 40 it's going to be tough to recommend an inline pump that would actually be helpful especially when you take the grade into account. Is it possible to upgrade you well pump? haha That would honestly be the best solution if it's possible/affordable. It would probably help water pressure issues inside the home as well.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Ouch...that's rough. With a max psi of only 40 it's going to be tough to recommend an inline pump that would actually be helpful especially when you take the grade into account. Is it possible to upgrade you well pump? haha That would honestly be the best solution if it's possible/affordable. It would probably help water pressure issues inside the home as well.
You should be able to adjust the pressure switch up to 50 or 60.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
You should be able to adjust the pressure switch up to 50 or 60.
Perhaps and that's a great suggestion the OP should look into to see if it's possible with his current setup. It certainly would be the cheapest and easiest option for the OP to look at first.

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
The pressure tank in our house is new last year, it's set at a 40 / 60 setting right now so when needed, it'll burst up to 60psi. Pressure is really nice in the house everywhere.

I hooked up about 100' of Gilmour Flexogen Hose 5/8" hose, and the pressure was actually pretty decent. Not sure what the problem was before. I re-measured, I need about 200' of hose to get to the garden.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
^^Well duh but he's already asking about pressure output with 5/8" hose over 200' with a slight grade. I can't imagine the issue would get any better if he stepped it up to 3/4 lol.

I mean 40psi ain't great even if the initial "burst" is closer to 60 that doesn't really matter especially when you are using a sprinkler. Generally speaking you are going to leave the sprinkler running longer so the output will be closer to that 40psi mark not 60.

So OP what's the output like at 200' then? You mentioned that it is better than you originally thought at 100' so have you tested it at 200'?

Maybe get a water saving sprinkler. Sure the gpm will be lower but that just means you'll have to leave it running longer. The only other option I can think of is to get an inline pump maybe around 3/4 horse and buy some fittings so you can adapt the input and output to standard hose fitting threads. Make sure it doesn't have to be submersed for cooling and is rated for outdoor use.

OR WAIT brainstorm!! What about a 200-300 gallon stock tank that can be used to collect rain water?? I have a large garden to and am seriously considering this for a couple of reasons.
1 it's better for the environment, 2 my water bill was OFF THE CHARTS this year because my wife watered the garden all summer long, and 3 rain water is better for the plants because of fewer chemicals in it like chlorine and fluorine.

Last edited:

Steltek

Platinum Member
Mar 29, 2001
I am planning on planting a large garden that is 100~ feet away from the house spigot. My hose will reach, however, the water pressure is too low. What type of pump can I add to the house hose spigot to add more pressure?

If it matters, I am on a well system with a pressure tank in the house that supplies the house spigot/bib. Someone had mentioned to look to see if it would cavitate the house system.
How deep is the water table where you live? Any possibility of washing down a PVC pipe at the garden location to create a garden well?

https://drillyourownwell.com/

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY