I need to format my hard drive.

Niflheim

Jan 30, 2005
Ok so I have a laptop, an Acer Aspire 3050 and I completely hate it. It never worked well.

So I was roaming around on Vista when suddenly it reboots. That's nothing new. But it won't start anymore. That's nothing new. Even in safe mode or "last working configuration" or whatever. That's not very new either.

The thing is, on my laptop, I don't have a cdrom drive, it's broken.
But it did not matter much, I install Vista and Ubuntu and pretty much anything using a usb key.

So I thought I'd reinstall Vista. I setup my usb key accordingly, but oh strange, it does not work. It's as if the broken installation kind of screws with the rest. The installation begins to load, then it freakingly skips out and goes back to the "windows did not start blablabla" screen.

So I thought I'd reinstall Ubuntu (which was not yet installed at the time). It always fixes everything. Just boot from the installation and I can have fun with my partitions. I setup my usb key accordingly, but oh strange, it does not work.

I even tried PenDriveLinux but for some unknown reason, the startup freezes at "detecting bluetooth devices" so I can't get into the console.

I tried to make a bootdisk to mess around in dos mode. Nope.
I tried to make a bootable Dban usb key, it only says "Boot failed".

So I'm at a loss.
What the hell do I have to do to just format my jolly hard drive, using only a USB key?
I'm about to either throw it out of the window, or take one of these huge harddrive magnets, mess with everything, then throw it out the window.

:(

(sorry for the long message, I'm like that).