I need to do situps!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Legend
Spot reduction is a lie.

You must do cardio. I'd recommend interval cardio for about 30 minutes a day. Prolonged cardio will eventually eat up fat and muscle.
So like 10 minutes... 3 times a day?

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: JoeKing
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: JoeKing
your goal is to grow a gut so that you can balance a beer on it and take a sip without using your hands.
:thumbsdown: the thought of that is pure ugly

oh you know it's sexy! He can be your santa clause.
ho ho nooooooooooooooooo.

:laugh:

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005

More like 20-30 minutes. Walk a minute, sprint for 2, then repeat.

It's like something called HIIT. Do a google search. It forces your body to burn calories at a fast rate. If you do continuous cardio for prolonged periods, your body senses a state of famine and reduces your metabolism. If you go long enough, your body may even burn muscle and fat.

However, if you're really out of shape, HIIT is not for you. You need to be in decent shape to do it safely.

In that case, do eliptical machines and keep your HR between 140-160 for like 40 minutes a day. No breaks.

ELopes580

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Do what I did last summer.

1) Get 3 infections
2) Don't eat since it's hard and painful.
3) Lose 20 lbs and 3 inches off your wait
5) Profit!!!

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Run three times a week for 30 minutes, keeping your heartrate up but not racing. Then do two abdominal exercises that work two different parts of the abdominal muscles. Say crunches and reverse crunches, or crunches and leglifts or sit ups and leg lifts or whatever. Do 4 sets of 20-30 reps each, concentrating on clenching your abs throughout the entire motion.

Don't jerk and don't swing your legs or torso. Use controlled motions squeezing your muscles the whole way. You should feel burn starting at like 20, if you aren't feeling it you're doing it wrong. Repeat! HIIT works well but you need to work up to it sometimes if you don't work out often.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Go to www.fitday.com and keep track of your diet. You need to create a small caloric deficit to lose fat, and you need to know how many cals you are eating in a day to know if you should reduce them.

Without knowing your height, weight, and bf% I can't say how many calories you should be eating but if you find that you aren't losing weight after a few weeks at a given calorie level, drop your daily cals by 200.

Also as others said it helps to do cardio. I am also a fan of the high intensity type.

As for ab work, you need to work the abs with resistance. Doing 100 situps a day isn't going to do anything. If you want them to grow you need to treat them like any other muscle. If you have a gym membership then I would recommend doing weighted cable crunches or crunches on a decline while holding a weight over your chest. You can read about how to do the cable crunches here:

http://www.ast-ss.com/training/exercises/execution.asp?bp=Ab&pn=9

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
You need to diet. If you do situps, muscle will grow under your fat and push your gut out even more :D

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: Legend
Spot reduction is a lie.

You must do cardio. I'd recommend interval cardio for about 30 minutes a day. Prolonged cardio will eventually eat up fat and muscle.

Can't do that. Cardio is elevating your heart and breathing levels. You can't do that in 10 minutes.