I need to buy a Router, any advice?

MtSeldon

Jan 13, 2014
I need a router , but i don't know much about routers.
I'm going to use it at my home network. I don't need it to cover a very large area.

Also i'm going to buy an Asus router, since they are widely avaible in the local stores.

-I guess i need dual-band (2.4ghz and 5ghz ). But do i need tri-band?
-3G/ 4G data sharing , can i use a Smartphone as a usb 4g modem?
-I need it to work as a printer server (does this only work with windows computers? )

these models are most easily found in stores . I don't have much info about them.

ASUS RT-N53 WF-N600M DUALBAND
Asus RT-N10U
ASUS RT-N12E

N53 is the most feature rich . but it has poor reviews on tech sites.

Any advice? shall check other brands?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
From your post I guess you are Not in the USA.

If indeed you are Not, it is hard to advice since we do not know what is available in your country.

In addition the choice of Routers is Not an issue of triple Band. Feeding the Router from a Cell phone can be done via it USB for cell Modem.

Or you should find out if your phone service provides a

Example - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Cellular_Phone/USB_Modem_as_WAN_connection

In the USA I would get for this purpose the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320174

:cool:

Last edited:

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
I've got an asus black knight router the wifi antenna blew out after 6 months of use! it ran too hot I'm guessing! Replaced with an airport (time-capsule) and all has been great since then!

Plus no backdoors in the firmware unlike ASUS

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Had a bad experience with Asus as well. The firmware sucked but that was remedied with DD-WRT. In the end it died after around 8 months. Tried Netgear and wasn't happy there either. Ended up going back to Linskys.

MtSeldon

Jan 13, 2014
I only choose Asus because -AFAIK- their firmware is DD-WRT under the hood.

How good is Linskys's firmware, is it as feature rich as DD_WRT?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I only choose Asus because -AFAIK- their firmware is DD-WRT under the hood.

How good is Linskys's firmware, is it as feature rich as DD_WRT?

The Linksys is Now Belkin. Some of the Routers are DD-WRT compatible some are not.

In any case given Belkin's past reputation I would question buying one right now.

Here is a page that talk about Router through technology and Not using ""Major important"" variables like....

Happy, Sux, Great, Cool, Crap, Terrific, Terrible, etc.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/ranking/AC1750/rev8/6

:cool:

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
For SOHO routers Asus are pretty good. The firmware is also open source as far as I know so it means it's easy to customize Even if you're not a coder it means there will be lot of stuff out there that you can add. I actually bought one to replace the ActionTec for my FTTH connection. Someone wrote a custom firmware specifically for my ISP and it handles all the TV stuff and what not and has a passive mode for internet. I'm sure there's all sorts of other custom firmwares out there too.