I need some suggestions,please!!

howardthehobo

Banned
Mar 18, 2001
I am planing to buy a VooDoo5 5500.But should I take a GeForce2 MX instead of a VooDoo5 5500?
I will use ths video card for Quake3,Diablo II and AOE II.
Please give me some suggestions.Thanks a lot!!!

TheAvenger

Feb 13, 2001
From every review I've read and every person "I" have had contact with says the GeForce2 is the best card on the market bowing only to the GeForce3 I have the GeForce2 GTS and it was worth every penny.. I get an average fps of 90 in halflife and The card is the nicest thing on my system which means that it only gets better from here...:D

J105

Apr 4, 2000
Strickly evaluating the two cards you mentioned, Voodoo 5 & GeForce 2 MX, the Voodoo 5 will win hands down.

However, since 3dfx is no longer in business, if you purchase a Voodoo 5, there will be no warranty and no driver updates.

The GeForce 2 MX card is a good one, if you don't plan on running games like Quake 3 above an 800 x 600 resolution. You can find GeForce 2 GTS cards for less than $200.00. Another good line of video cards are the Radeons from ATI. I believe the Radeon LE is priced about the same as the GeForce 2 MX and is equal in performance. Finally, Hercules is producing a card based on the Kyro chip. The review at Anand's showed in certain situations it could out perform GeForce 2 Ultra card. The Hercules Kyro card will list for about $150.00

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
3 Months ago I couldn't find the word Kyro anywhere in any post. I've just seen 4 different posts where someone recommended a Kyro. WOOT!
By the way I have a $120 Evil Kyro 64MB and a $130 32 MB Geforce Annihilator Pro. The Geforce is in the closet somewhere:p Both cards are down to below $100 now. The Kyro owns the Geforce.

shiznut123

Banned
Dec 22, 2000
Geforce2 MX. No more drivers for 3dfx. I like the Radeon 32mb DDR more than the Geforce2 MX though.

howardthehobo

Banned
Mar 18, 2001
Do you guys think that Glide is dead? I really love DOOM series. Would VooDoo 5500 has a good performence with DOOM3? I know that nobody can predict before the game come out. But please give me some informations about it anyway, thanks a lot!!!

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
"From every review I've read and every person "I" have had contact with says the GeForce2 is the best card on the market bowing only to the GeForce3 I have the GeForce2 GTS and it was worth every penny"

Lets hope that avenger was not talking about the geforce 2 mx....because if he was he obviously doesn't read much, either in this forum or at various review forums. The radeon is by far a better card than the geforce 2mx and rivals geforce 2 gts scores in 32bit performance with some tweaking...and all at 1/2 as much in cost...Then lets talk about 3dmark2001 and we see the radeons excelling because they are the most direct x 8.0 enabled card. Run a geforce 2 mx in 3dmark2001 at default, and you might just cry compared to same system and a radeon.

TheAvenger

Feb 13, 2001
I have never had any experience with the MX so I had no room to talk. I will concede that the system you are using the card with makes a big difference also. To many factors to make an accurate assesment on many video cards: Monitor size, game, OS, &system config.

howardthehobo

Banned
Mar 18, 2001
Ok, let me list my system. I will have AMD Duron 800 MHz, Epox 8KTA3, Viewsonic G773, Quantum Fireball Plus AS 20.50GB, Kingstone PC-133 128MB and VooDoo5 5500 AGP of course. OS is Win ME. Do you guys think that it will be sufficient to play DOOM III, AOE II, Quake III and Diablo II?

hovenas

Jan 5, 2001
Proud GTS Pro owner, but man, I can't wait to read all reviews and forum talk about KYRO II when it hits the street. Wait for 1 1/2 month and you will DEFINETLY have all you could ever dream of in reading about the card. I'd hold on to the money...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
That is why at 77.00 shipped from newegg the radeon is a great choice...run it for 2-3 months watch prices drop and still sell that card for 40-50 on anandtech and you got a killer card you can test and play with for 30-40 bucks. You loose nothing...The card is one of the best future proof cards out there...they only begun starting to design games to features on this card. It was designed for direct x 8.0....numbers in 3dmark2001 show this card has lots of headroom!