I need some major help with my NameCheap/PeopleHost website setup..

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I got my domain name emails from Namecheap, and some kinda confirmation from PeopeHost with all this nameserver stuff and what not but how do I set it all up? Its driving me nuts....I did this stuff yesterday, do I need to wait longer? Theres nowhere on PeopleHost.com for my to "log in" or whatever and start setting all up. How do I upload my page from Front Page 2002. I am a complete novice and you might want to start from the beginning with me. HELP!!!

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
1) have you changed your nameservers yet?
2) what control panel does PeopleHost use?
3) PeopleHost should have given you an IP or URL in the email to log into and tinker with your site.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Ugh PeopleHost what a ripoff.

I'd go with AddAction.com instead which comes with cPanel

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
In web hosting, you get what you pay for.

I checked PeopleHost's FAQ and found this, your control panel login instructions should be in an e-mail they sent you.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

WHAT??? Thats the one NameCheap uses/recommends!!!! Thanks Rossman!!!:|

Anyway, they use cpanel. How long do I have to wait to start uploading stuff? 2 days?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: KDOG

Anyway, they use cpanel. How long do I have to wait to start uploading stuff? 2 days?
Rossman recommended namecheap to register not host...
rolleye.gif

And no, you can upload now, but until your nameservers update, your pages will only be visible via IP address or the account name based address that peoplehost assigned you.

Try reading your e-mail...

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok I read my email. but Front Page can't access the site, tells me page doesn't exist and would I like to create a web there. I click yes, and then it ask me for my name/password but doesn't take it and just keeps popping the name/password box up there...

I did just transfer the nameservers this morning, maybe it hasn't gone thru yet...

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding

Rossman recommended namecheap to register not host...
rolleye.gif

And no, you can upload now, but until your nameservers update, your pages will only be visible via IP address or the account name based address that peoplehost assigned you.

Try reading your e-mail...

Thank you.

If you just updated the DNS name servers to ns1.peoplehost.com and ns2.peoplehost.com (or whatever) you need to allow 48-72 hours for propogation.

After that your cPanel should be accessed via www.domain.com/cpanel however FrontPage (which sucks) uses it's own FTP utility I think.

Any FP FTP experts here?

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
aaahhh. Ok so I just need to wait a day or two... cool.

however FrontPage (which sucks) uses it's own FTP utility I think.

HUH? It does? Well, I'm stuck with it seeing a i paid 150 smackers for it when it first came out. Why does it suck?

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There was this little proggie called something like WSFTP or something like that, it worked well when I used it to make a web page looooong ago. Does anyone know what its called and if it would be better to use than FP2002?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
There was this little proggie called something like WSFTP or something like that, it worked well when I used it to make a web page looooong ago. Does anyone know what its called and if it would be better to use than FP2002?

How much are you paying PeopleHost.com for web hosting?

I would definitely recommend WS_FTP over FP2002.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm payin 3.95 a month hosting...

Thanks for the WS FTP link....

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I'm payin 3.95 a month hosting...

Thanks for the WS FTP link....

I think rossman's point is addaction gives you 4x the space and many more features for 4.99/YEAR

I would definitely look into switching over.

FP is a WYSIWYG HTML editor(at least I think that's HTML)

WS_FTP is just for FTP transactions. Also, you may or may not qualify for the free edition of WS_FTP. In any case, I'm gonna shamelessly plug filezilla for ftp transactions. That is all.