I need some info on Korean currency vs US'

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
After I graduate this spring and get hired as a bilingual tutor for a year in South Korea, this would be the typical salary + benefits:

2,000,000 ~ 2,500,000 won monthly
housing provided

1. How much is that in current US currency?
2. The answer to 1 obviously means if I earn that amount and wire it to US, it would that exact figure?
3. How much is the salary really worth in terms of value (buying power) in its own country? (which should be quite different from 1.)

I'm sure 3 would be tough to answer unless you've been to Korea recently...

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
it will be approximately $2000.00 to $2500.00 / month, but it will spend more like $3300.00 per month.

money goes farther in Korea than in the US. it did for me anyway.

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
it will be approximately $2000.00 to $2500.00 / month, but it will spend more like $3300.00 per month.

when did u stay in Korea?

it spends like $3,300? That's quite a lot with the housing already provided... care to elaborate more on your experiences?

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: LOLyourFace
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

when did u stay in Korea?

it spends like $3,300? That's quite a lot with the housing already provided... care to elaborate more on your experiences?

it's been 5 yrs since i left Korea.

i was there for 4.5 yrs. when i first got to seoul almost 10 yrs ago, exchange rate was at 750 won per $1.00 US. now it's closer to 1200 won per $1.00 US. that's about what it was when i left korea.

i find that you end up spending less money in Korea EVEN tho if things are more expensive because it is more difficult to spend it. transportation isn't as good etc.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
2,500,000.00 KRW = 2,103.261 USD
South Korea Won = United States Dollars

1 KRW = 0.000841304 USD 1 USD = 1,188.63 KRW

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Well if you go to the rich areas it is far easier to spend money, but it depends on where you go. Food is probably cheap, well except for the nice restaurants it can be more expensive. But normal things like clothes (unless their fake) are more expensive.

For me, the public transportation in Korea is better. It's cleaner and faster. It's pretty simple also. Well I mainly took the subways, because I didn't really know the bus maps. The bus drivers are crazy though. The only thing is that public transportation stops so early, I think at like 1:00am or somewhere around there. I forget exactly.

Korean internet is better than in the US by far though. Their broadband just simply rocks. Their cell phones are also better.

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
Originally posted by: LuNoTiCK
Well if you go to the rich areas it is far easier to spend money, but it depends on where you go. Food is probably cheap, well except for the nice restaurants it can be more expensive. But normal things like clothes (unless their fake) are more expensive.

For me, the public transportation in Korea is better. It's cleaner and faster. It's pretty simple also. Well I mainly took the subways, because I didn't really know the bus maps. The bus drivers are crazy though. The only thing is that public transportation stops so early, I think at like 1:00am or somewhere around there. I forget exactly.

Korean internet is better than in the US by far though. Their broadband just simply rocks. Their cell phones are also better.

yea because the whole country is the size of florida, their internet and cellphones ROCK.

I hear that their cell phones so cheap, it works like a landline: all incoming calls are absolutely free. Wow...