Question I need some help for a neighbor

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
That will be fine for Photoshop, although a modern CPU with iGPU probably works also.

Unfortunately your friend just missed out on Black Friday deals. MSI in particular was dumping some parts inventory:

If he doesn’t need something soon, a better deal than that Acer will surely return.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yep. Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and holiday deals would have offered him lots of decent options…and I told him so a couple of times.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Found this one on woot:

I don’t know much about AMD, but IIRC, the 5800X is quite a bit faster than the i5-13400f…and the AMD 6700XT is faster than the 3050.
Does your friend want to spend 14% more though? Is $800+tax way over his budget?

I think those CPUs are almost a wash for productivity workloads; Intel's Raptor Lake is probably more power hungry. The RX 6700 XT is a much better GPU, but that probably doesn't matter for Photoshop.

The MSI refurbished system has just a 6 months warranty.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Does your friend want to spend 14% more though? Is $800+tax way over his budget?

I think those CPUs are almost a wash for productivity workloads; Intel's Raptor Lake is probably more power hungry. The RX 6700 XT is a much better GPU, but that probably doesn't matter for Photoshop.

The MSI refurbished system has just a 6 months warranty.
Yes on the warranty, but since Woot is an Amazon company, he COULD purchase a 2 year extended warranty fairly cheaply. However, he told me he thought the system from Woot might be more than he needs...so...We'll see.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
@BoomerD if you're helping him spec it, what makes you think you won't be his tech support for life? :D

🤬 the thought had occurred to me…but, since he’s buying pre-built…I’m not responsible…he can take it up with the manufacturer. (we’re neighbors, not friends.)

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Yes on the warranty, but since Woot is an Amazon company, he COULD purchase a 2 year extended warranty fairly cheaply. However, he told me he thought the system from Woot might be more than he needs...so...We'll see.
I'll buy refurbished if it makes sense; but if you have to spend more just to warranty it, then it doesn't seem like a great deal anymore. Generally speaking, service plans (aka extended warranties) are never cheap because they are priced to make a profit for both the insurer and the seller (retailer). Actually it's really two separate entities: the warranty servicer and usually an actual insurance company that underwrites the policy. The more hands are in the cookie jar, the more it's costing the consumer. With rare exception, I simply don't buy service plans.

I'm a strong advocate of the free extended warranty offered on some credit cards. For example, your neighbor could buy the refurbished MSI and get an extra year of coverage from his credit card company. IF he charges it to a card with that benefit.

You and I would prefer the $800 MSI system over the Acer, but if that's well over his stated budget, then just wait for a better deal.

EDIT:
Better deal arrives! Read comments, looks like you're actually getting an AM5 system.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'll buy refurbished if it makes sense; but if you have to spend more just to warranty it, then it doesn't seem like a great deal anymore. Generally speaking, service plans (aka extended warranties) are never cheap because they are priced to make a profit for both the insurer and the seller (retailer). Actually it's really two separate entities: the warranty servicer and usually an actual insurance company that underwrites the policy. The more hands are in the cookie jar, the more it's costing the consumer. With rare exception, I simply don't buy service plans.

I'm a strong advocate of the free extended warranty offered on some credit cards. For example, your neighbor could buy the refurbished MSI and get an extra year of coverage from his credit card company. IF he charges it to a card with that benefit.

You and I would prefer the $800 MSI system over the Acer, but if that's well over his stated budget, then just wait for a better deal.

EDIT:
Better deal arrives! Read comments, looks like you're actually getting an AM5 system.

Sold out.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So…he’s been trying to buy the MSI @Woot…but the system won’t let him log in. Not sure what’s wrong…it let me log right in.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It sounds like he ordered one of these:

Not what I would have ordered...but it's his money, and it SHOULD do fine for his needs.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It sounds like he ordered one of these:

Not what I would have ordered...but it's his money, and it SHOULD do fine for his needs.
Fine for his needs, but $800 for i5-11400F and GTX 1660 Ti is gross. Also 3rd party fulfillment, not FBA.
I wouldn't want to help someone who has so much trouble following advice LOL.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I kind of don’t blame him for being nervous about ordering a PC from woot. Their customer service is nearly non-existent…and there was no info about who did the “refurbishing” on the units they have for sale.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
SSD, PSU are a bit limited but still a better deal than he ordered:

Lots of "better" deals will pop up now that he's made his purchase and has it up and running.
All I can do is give advice...if he opts to go a different way, that's on him. (and I don't think he got a BAD PC, but I think there were better deals to be had.

Reactions: manly