I need some help: adding drivers to a WHS-2011 client restore USB stick (Resolved)

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
All my workstations are backed up nightly to my WHS-2011 server. I have never had a problem restoring a system from these backups -- until now -- with my new system, Skylake Z170, basically.

There was never even a problem before on the older hardware to restore a dual-boot Win7/Win10 system disk(s). I had to do that a couple times on my 2700K system because of a problem I caused myself arising from incompatibility of two Kaspersky IS components (that's been fixed . . . with Kaspersky tech-support two month ago.)

But because of the Skylake Z170 UEFI and the installation of Win 7 to work with that UEFI, there are USB drivers missing that cause the restoration to bork with an error message.

Here are some of the info sources I've uncovered so far in this minor emergency:

Home Server Show forum thread on adding drivers to WHS-2011 client restore USB stick

[This is a fairly brief thread, but of 2016 vintage per an Intel NUC system backed up to WHS-2011.]

Without the USB3 and probably USB2 drivers, you couldn't access the keyboard or mouse anyway once the restore-GUI loads.

The linked forum thread points to another thread at Windows IT Center: "Add and Remove Drivers Offline" which explains the use of the DISM.EXE utility to add drivers to an image:

Windows IT Center -- Add and Remove Drivers Offline

I also find that MS has added a GUI that probably allows one to do the same thing: it appeared as a new installation in my Start Menu as "Windows System Image Manager."

I am not sure how to proceed with this. One my second computer (this one) as drive G:, the USB stick for the Skylake restoration has the following structure:

[Folder] 1FAE75EB-B11A-4883-BCEE-9AC1C6D95216
[folder] boot
[folder] efi
[folder] sources
[file] bmrclient_chm.chm
[file] bootmgr
[file] bootmgr.efi

Could someone offer me a little more guidance on this? One thing I've learned through the years: stay calm, do not act in haste, plot, plan and pursue the options without causing more trouble.

I can always create another USB stick from the server. But I need to restore my boot-system disk on the Skylake system.

[How did it happen?] I attempted to use a logical volume on my new 960 EVO NVMe M.2 disk -- which I was using to cache other drives. The volume had been created in Windows 7. I couldn't use it as I"d intended in Windows 10 -- perhaps acting too quickly and failing to install the Samsung NVMe driver first to Windows 10. Everything was working fine in Win 7 up to that point, when I was attempting to build my software installs and configuration under the Windows 10 OS. When I rebooted and chose the Windows 7 OS, I'd get the splash screen, then a list of boot options including "Normally", then a blue screen. The slipstreamed restore disc I'd created for the original Win 7 installation could not be used as a repair disc, And trying to run the original install disc for repair would lead me to the same thing.

The easiest thing to do would be a bare-metal restore of the boot-system disk from last night's server backup -- which was completed and A-OK. But now I find this complication with the new Z170 chipset, USB drivers etc. -- again -- this time with the client restoration USB stick I created for the Skylake from the server.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
OK . . . False alarm. I caused all this trouble with my attempt to built a tiered-caching system with an NVMe drive. Once I deleted a volume from it in Windows 10, failing to install the Samsung driver (thoughtless, careless), the system was looking for those volume to use with the caching program, attempting to commandeer something else. Removing the NVMe drive brought it all back. And -- I hope -- after "unhinging" that drive from the caching program, I should be able to re-install the NVMe for . . . whatever purpose . . .

All is good . . . I suppose I should check to see if it boots into Windows 10 also . . .

I've become too dependent on second-opinions from my fellow forum comrades. With my prolix threads and posts . . . .