I need some casual PC games

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
so, I'm trapped in my living room all summer due to not having an air conditioner in my bedroom, requiring me to do all my gaming on my laptop.

and while my laptop specs are ok, the setup just isn't conducive to most gaming (ie: real-time games like mmorpg's, fallout 3, mass effect, dragon age, oblivion, etc).

my ideal requirements are:

-has a storyline (I've been playing Sims 3 this week, but it's boring the crap out of me)
-doesn't require real-time interaction

so any suggestions? I was thinking about making giving BG2 or NWN2 a crack. I played them both when they were new and got about half-way through each, but never actually completed either.

my laptop has 4GB ram, an nvidia 8800 gts, and a dual-core 1.8GHz proc (running Vista x64... kinda wanted to upgrade it to windows 7, but don't really see the point in investing $100+ into a laptop that, after August/September, I probably won't even power on till next summer; I was wondering if I'd see a performance boost by downgrading to XP x64 since I've got a copy sitting around not being used, but that's a whole other topic of discussion)

thedosbox

Oct 16, 2009
Torchlight? Minimal storyline, but fits your other criteria.

Deus Ex would also be good if you haven't played it before.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
The Tom Clancy game hawx runs great on laptops and it's relatively new with a decent enough story line. I'd also check out some of the older need for speed series as they run well on laptops. Rainbow Six: Rouge Spear is another one.

Company of heros, fiffa soccer, madden, killing floor, combat arms, mech comander 2, project torque. I've tested these titles on an X2 Turion @ 1.8ghz with only 2gigs of ram, 64mbs of v ram and they all run great.

You can't go wrong with slightly older titles.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
so, I'm trapped in my living room all summer due to not having an air conditioner in my bedroom, requiring me to do all my gaming on my laptop.

and while my laptop specs are ok, the setup just isn't conducive to most gaming (ie: real-time games like mmorpg's, fallout 3, mass effect, dragon age, oblivion, etc).

my ideal requirements are:

-has a storyline (I've been playing Sims 3 this week, but it's boring the crap out of me)
-doesn't require real-time interaction

so any suggestions? I was thinking about making giving BG2 or NWN2 a crack. I played them both when they were new and got about half-way through each, but never actually completed either.

my laptop has 4GB ram, an nvidia 8800 gts, and a dual-core 1.8GHz proc (running Vista x64... kinda wanted to upgrade it to windows 7, but don't really see the point in investing $100+ into a laptop that, after August/September, I probably won't even power on till next summer; I was wondering if I'd see a performance boost by downgrading to XP x64 since I've got a copy sitting around not being used, but that's a whole other topic of discussion)

You're a fool for not playing BG2 through multiple times. Hell, I even beat NWN2 multiple times.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
You're a fool for not playing BG2 through multiple times. Hell, I even beat NWN2 multiple times.
eh. I was in college and got distracted from Baldur's Gate 2.

NWN1 and 2 both got interrupted by MMORPG's (where I'd get sucked into the game for a week or two but eventually get pulled back into playing WoW exclusively)

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
eh. I was in college and got distracted from Baldur's Gate 2.

NWN1 and 2 both got interrupted by MMORPG's (where I'd get sucked into the game for a week or two but eventually get pulled back into playing WoW exclusively)

Play NWN2 and then BG2. Good -> to one of the Greatest.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
I have Just Cause (the original). Like GTA on steroids with better graphics. Casual, run around, cause chaos. Try to win over burrows on this island.. I'll ship it to you for about the cost of a 6 pack...

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
I have Just Cause (the original). Like GTA on steroids with better graphics. Casual, run around, cause chaos. Try to win over burrows on this island.. I'll ship it to you for about the cost of a 6 pack...

I hate aimless, objectiveless, and pointless games like GTA.

Actually, GTA is especially offensive since you basically role-play a douchebag and waste of space, something most people already have no problem doing in real life.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
When you say doesn't require real time interaction, do you mean turn based? I haven't really played them, but the Heroes of might and magic/King's Bounty games would probably suit your requirements, though I'm not sure if they have great stories. Although, I can't really think of many turn based games with a story.

If you're willing to give a shooter a run through I enjoyed Armed and Dangerous. Not really difficult, humorous, and a basic story. Should be able to find it for relatively cheap too.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Alright, that was kind of funny. I almost spit out my beer. It's not the same in that regard. You are actually "liberating" people from the establishment government. It's actually not like GTA at all in that regard. It's just open world I guess......*and* casual. :D

I hate aimless, objectiveless, and pointless games like GTA.

Actually, GTA is especially offensive since you basically role-play a douchebag and waste of space, something most people already have no problem doing in real life.