I need recommendations for a good, all-inclusive guide on how to set up a website.

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
Also, are there better (easier to use) programs than Frontpage available? My sister has a business and has asked me for help. I don't want to let her down, so, I have come here to get the best head start on my education possible. :beer:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Frontpage isn't good, I've been messing with HTML since it pretty much hit the public, back before Windows and graphics. I used Frontpage last year to help a neighbor with her school project. Maybe it would have been easier for me if I wasn't use to Dreamweaver. But FP just seemed difficult for no good reason. But, it could be a place to start for you, as I'm sure there are much worse HTML proggies out there. If you want to buy something I suggest Dreamweaver, you can pick up an older version for a decent price. If you don't want to drop cash, you could stick with FP, or look into freeware solutions. I'm not up on freeware HTML software but I bet there are some really slick ones out there.

download.com might be a good place to search for free ones...

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
I would suggest you look around and find someone you know that does web work. Or have her contact a company.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: royaldank
I would suggest you look around and find someone you know that does web work. Or have her contact a company.

:thumbsup:

DrVos

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: royaldank

Agreed.

If she wants to use the website to attract customers, I'd highly suggest finding someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you. Having a shoddy website (not that you would do a shoddy job, just that most first websites are spectacular failures) would be a poor reflection of her business.

If there is a community college or a university near you with design or web courses, you might consider posting a flyer for a web design gig. College kids work cheap in exchange for experience.

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I hate how frontpage codes the HTML. I do my webpages in notepad and use Dreamweaver if I need to do quick edits or editing a long article or something just so it is faster.

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
There's a lot of work that goes into developing a functional and aesthetically pleasing website. It's not something that you can easily pick up over the weekend.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
1) Turn on your computer
2) Open a web browser
3) Go to google.com
4) search for "web designers"
5) Find a designer who's work you like and whose prices are affordable
6) Pay said designer to build your website

Honestly, anyone can build a website in a few days, but it really takes a few years of practice to actually get GOOD at it. If your sister wants her business to project a brofessional image, she should have a professional website - designed by a professional. Unfortunately, you are not a professional.

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
Originally posted by: freakflag
Also, are there better (easier to use) programs than Frontpage available? My sister has a business and has asked me for help. I don't want to let her down, so, I have come here to get the best head start on my education possible. :beer:

I think that Yahoo! and some other places have some turn key solutions.

MrAustin

Jan 19, 2005
Notepad2 is a good prog that has HTML highlighting, though it doesn't contain a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor.

I agree about getting a designer to do it for you (since it is for a business)

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: QueBert
Frontpage isn't good, I've been messing with HTML since it pretty much hit the public, back before Windows and graphics. I used Frontpage last year to help a neighbor with her school project. Maybe it would have been easier for me if I wasn't use to Dreamweaver. But FP just seemed difficult for no good reason. But, it could be a place to start for you, as I'm sure there are much worse HTML proggies out there. If you want to buy something I suggest Dreamweaver, you can pick up an older version for a decent price. If you don't want to drop cash, you could stick with FP, or look into freeware solutions. I'm not up on freeware HTML software but I bet there are some really slick ones out there.

download.com might be a good place to search for free ones...

I definitely also recommend Dreamweaver, though it might be overkill for something like this. The last version of FP I used also outputted horrible HTML code, non standard, tonnes of nbsps etc.. Of course IE didn't have any problem viewing it's output but then again IE would attempt to view just about any junk you throw at it, spec or no spec. But that was years ago, I really don't know what FP is like now.

Chebago

Apr 10, 2004
marcyes.com
Originally posted by: Locut0s

I definitely also recommend Dreamweaver, though it might be overkill for something like this. The last version of FP I used also outputted horrible HTML code, non standard, tonnes of nbsps etc.. Of course IE didn't have any problem viewing it's output but then again IE would attempt to view just about any junk you throw at it, spec or no spec. But that was years ago, I really don't know what FP is like now.

We're redoing our class website by hand because the frontpage outputted html is so bad we couldn't even read it...If you really want to do it by hand, this is a good resource and is what I used when I first started building sites way back in the day, but I do everything by hand in a text editor so I have no idea about wysiwyg editors, good luck, and enjoy yourself...