I need new help picking CPU

biggestmexi

Jan 28, 2009
Hello all. First timer.

OK, i am wanting to build a new decent PC.

Mostly used for everyday tasks running Office 07.

some photoshop and video converting.

And able to play StarCraft 2. (im not going to be big on PC games)

Not looking to go to expensive either.

and last a while. maybe oc it as well.

I have a few things picked out.

Thermaltake case V9 Black edition

Samsung spinpoint I already have a 750gb at home.

PC power 610w

artic silver 5 paste

and these i had picked out but could be changed.

G.SKILL 4GB(2x2)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R for a LGA 775.

guess i need a VC as well.

I would like to keep it under $800. Right now those parts = $420.94 Also i do not want to buy a CPU cooler right now in this purchase but will get one down the road sooner than later.

Thanks for all the help.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
mobo says intel...

slap a $149 q8200 in it, oc as far as it will go on stock voltage, and u r good to go... thow in a $110ar 4850 from ne and u have a rocking system... if u want to be cheap, go e5200 on the cpu... but u ought to spend $30ar on a sunbeam core cooler up front to make everything quiet and cool, the stock hsf's on those chips are really weak... and way more oc'able...

biggestmexi

Jan 28, 2009
I am not sure if its too much or not.

I was "just making sure" if you will.

What would you recommend.

I would like to keep some head room for myself if i had a new drive or HDD.

and no real preference. Maybe slightly more intel over amd.

as in graphics - I really haven't followed up with that stuff in a while so nothing there.

Thanks

and thanks cube. to oc that would i need a new CPU cooler or should it be good for a little bump on the stock heatsink?

zenguy

Jan 23, 2009
The big question is how much Video Converting you are going to be doing.

While that is not my specialty, I'm under the impression that it can make strong use of 4 cores and would make me lean towards a quad core processor.

If that was just an aside, there is no need for 4 cores for most daily uses and a dual core would serve you better.

biggestmexi

Jan 28, 2009
Cubeless.....sorry for being ignorant/stupid but what is "$110ar 4850". also N.E. has the q8200 for 169.99. I would like to buy everything at once from newegg. i hear there Cust. Serv. is good.

when i search for 4850 in newegg i get HIS as the cheapest.

would a DUO cor be better than a QUAD in my instance. as of late i have been doing more research as i am taking this more seriously this time. It seems that some Duo core in are as good as the quads in the same price range. what would make me want the quad over the duo?

zenguy, thanks for the input. I am not sure. right now my PC is on its death bed and can barely convert files.(as in long time)

but i am guessing if i have the ability to, i will do it more.

my pc now will convert a ~700mb .mkv to .avi (xvid w/lame mp3) in a few hours.

Sunrise089

Aug 30, 2005
You want the quad if you're gaming and run one of the handful of titles that really benefit from 4 cores, or if you're doing a lot of video editing or other well-threaded work. For normal PC use there is basically zero gain going beyond 2 cores (main gain for 1-to-2 cores jump came from offloading background processes to the second core).

I would get a E8500 and a 4850 and call it a day.