I need input/help on what to buy- Building a computer

random_numbers

Nov 1, 2012
Hi there!

Christmas is coming and I would like to get my husband a super awesome present. His current computer is old and the video card isn't holding up. He built it and is very proud of how long it has lasted, but he's definitely due for an updated machine, so I would like to buy him a partial kit or start buying up pieces so he has a project to work on this winter.

I don't know much about the insides of computers, so I'm hoping to find someone, or people, that can point me in the right direction of what to buy. I found this questionnaire on here, so I'll use it and then give additional information.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Used for - Excel and word documents, picture editing, movie watching, internet surfing, skyping

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
I'm not sure because it'll be bought in pieces, not all at once. It doesn't need to be super fancy or the best of the best, but I want him to have something that will last more than a few years or can be upgraded from time to time.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
I'll be ordering mostly off the internet, I'm in the US, but the closest store with computer stuff is over an hour away.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

I think he likes Intel.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
No current parts. Maybe the hard drives?

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Default speeds.

8. What resolution will you be using?
Default resolution? He doesn't adjust it from whatever is default

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
I'm only buying up parts at a time, so it's not time sensitive.
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

X. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
Not right away.

-- Here is what is on his current computer
He doesn't need a new screen, he has two he really likes right now.
CPU - Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz (he might have two of these, it was listed twice under hardware.

RAM - 3.5 GB - he needs more, he likes to multitask and it slows his computer down.

Hard drives - C: 152 GB, D: 465 GB, L: 465 GB

Video card - Legacy Video Capture?

And something under sound and video that said PRO 9000

I guess what I'm really worried about is finding parts that are all compatible, I read that you can't stick just any CPU on any motherboard. And I would like for the new computer to be able to hold up to 16GB of RAM.

Thank you for your time,
I appreciate any and all help I can get!

Amanda

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
First of all, give yourself a pat on the back for being a cool wife.

Now that said, this may be a difficult gift to execute well. Since he's a PC guy he may have his own opinions about what parts he would like to have, and so by choosing a particular motherboard or CPU off the bat you might limit his other choices. So if I were you I would stick to parts that can be useful no matter what specific choices he makes down the line.

Some good ideas would be a CPU Cooler (my wife actually gave me one as a present one year), RAM, a power supply, nice quiet fans, things of that nature that can be used in any computer.

I know you're not sure of the overall budget of the machine, but do you have a rough amount that you're willing to spend for your part of it? It's helpful in giving recommendations for us to know that.

Lastly, notice the line in the post you quoted where it said buying parts far in advance is not usually cost-effective. What I would do if I were you is get some general ideas now, and then bump this thread again later maybe at the beginning of December to nail down some specific parts and order them. Ordering parts now could be problematic for several reasons.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Wow, this is a great gift!

Your husband's computer appears to have been built circa 2004, so I'm sure he'll appreciate the upgrade.

Because of the uses you mentioned, I think you can safely go with a computer based on an Intel i3 processor, or potentially something cheaper. Given, however, how long he's kept this machine, investing in an i3 (~$125 for the CPU) is worthwhile: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ame=LGA%201155

Then go for an H77 motherboard, like this AsRock model for $65: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157303

You can start with those parts and move from there (although if it's not a total surprise, maybe you should ask your husband if he has something in mind, like the post above suggests).

You'll also need:

(1) A case, such as the Corsair 200r: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%20200r

(2) A DVD drive: whichever is cheapest at the time you purchase.

(3) Memory, such as this 2x4GB set from Patriot for $35: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%20200r

(4) A power supply, such as this Corsair 430w model for $35 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139026

(5) A solid state drive (SSD) and/or a hard drive. I'm sure he'd like an SSD, like this Samsung 128GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139026

If he needs extra space, he can buy a hard drive later to add to the system. In fact, it appears he has several 500GB hard drives in his system, although they may use an older interface, so he'll have to determine if he can re-use them.

(6) An operating system - I'll leave others to suggest Windows 7 or 8. Windows 8 is quite a change - he might like Windows 7 more at this point.

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I agree with DSF, this is a kind of a hard gift to do properly because of two factors: (1) you husband's current PC is really out of date and not directly upgradeable and (2) you're not planning to buy a whole PC's worth of parts.

For that reason, I'd say to buy stuff that is generally useful, like RAM, SSD, case, and OS. It would be a really good idea to way until the first couple of weeks of December to order so that you could still be within the 30 day return window in case something doesn't work out (or worse, is DOA). Early December is too far out to get focused in on particular parts.

random_numbers

Nov 1, 2012
Shootskis! I didn't think about not being able to test it when it comes in, that's a good point! I was just hoping to buy things little by little so it wouldn't affect our monthly budget too much.
But I did learn something tonight about his preferences, he doesn't have any. When I asked him about how he made his computer, he didn't recall much except that it was a fun project. He hasn't even thought of getting a new computer, which I find crazy because I've never had one older than 4 years. So as long as it lasts more than a few years and it does what I mentioned above, he'll be happy.
What if I was more specific? Maybe someone could give me an idea of compatible parts so I could research them?

This is more of what I'm looking for:

- i3 or i5 Intel processor
- Compatible motherboard...
- That can hold up to 16GB RAM
- A good 1 terabyte hard drive, no SSD
- A video card that's not the best, but better than last place. One that can handle movies, multiple skype video calls, and picture editing as a hobby
- A decent sound card
- And a good case with lots of ventilation
-Also, I don't know how it factors in, but he needs bluetooth and wi-fi capability too

I know I'll be spending a bit of money but I'd like to not spend more than 800-900 for the items listed above, and if it comes out cheaper I'd be super happy. Also, I won't be buying 16GB ram right away, but I want him to have the option to upgrade. And we get a really great discount on OS software through his work, so we don't need to worry about that either.

I figure if I buy the bigger stuff now, it'll get the ball rolling for him and he'll be more inclined to build a computer. If I give him small parts, like fans, he'll find other uses for them. Right now we have old computer fans drilled into the back of our entertainment center to keep the electronics in there cool. He's really into projects, and if he doesn't have a specific one, he finds random things to improve.

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it!

Amanda

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the graphics in the intel cpu can handle all of what you're throwing at it with the potential exception of dual monitors. i'm just not sure about that last one.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
For wireless and bluetooth, you just need wireless PCIe adapter and a bluetooth USB adapter.

ther00kie16

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2008
$800-900 is plenty.

Ivy Bridge is actually capable of three displays provided the motherboard has displayport, which is required for the 3rd output and ups the cost of the motherboard a bit. Also, you'll want to get a motherboard with 4 RAM slots as opposed to the 2 on the board Termie linked so he can easily upgrade the RAM, the easiest, cheapest and very effective upgrade for those who like to multi-task and keep many programs open, which is obvious given he maxed out his old machine.

So here's my recommendation list:
i5 3450 & z77 mobo with thunderbolt allows connection with displayport monitors (for triple monitor setup) and future thunderbolt devices, which may come in handy if he keeps it for nearly a decade again.
$350 combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1100662

$60 ($15 promo) for any 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ kit like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104318

$70 for WD Blue 1tb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236339

$30 after $20 rebate ($10 promo ends 11/5) Corsair 500W power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139027

That's $530 before rebate.
Case, keyboard & mouse (if necessary) are all highly dependent on personal preference so I'll only say that Corsair's a very good brand for cases and the 300r (step up from 200r) is only a few dollars more shipped: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139011

With about $100 for case, keyboard and mouse (ask if you need recommendations), remaining money can be used for extra things like blu ray drive/burner (burner is $65 now but will surely be cheaper around Thanksgiving as it was $60 last year and you can get by on old DVD drives) and newer monitors.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
I would still wait until at least early December to order. I understand the bit about the monthly budget (my wife and I are on one) but it's really best to order all at once.

Can you just set aside the money you would budget for the computer parts every month, and then have a nice big $800-900 pool to buy from near Christmas?

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
As nice as it is, if he built his own computer last time and is proud of it, he's probably going to want to pick out his own parts. It may be better to get him a gift card rather than try to surprise him with parts he may not want.

Generally, a basic i5 build (i3/i5, motherboard, RAM, SDD/HDD) is always welcome and usable in many cases, but he may have preferences for individual brands and parts.

That being said, for the uses you've listed, you could get a FULL machine for under $600. AMD might be a good route as well, since there's a lot of combo deals now. But if you spend a bit more, you could get a machine that will last for another 5-6 years at least.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
CPU - Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz (he might have two of these, it was listed twice under hardware.

lol oh man that's classic. :whiste:

Get an i3. And more importantly get a HD7750. Dont sick an IGP on anyone you love. Anyone who says otherwise clearly does not know what they are talking about. Those things choke up and die as soon as you play a video on one screen and a simple flash game on another screen. Get a video card! HD 7750 is quite low power. Read the reviews and find one that is quiet!

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Ivy Bridge is actually capable of three displays provided the motherboard has displayport, which is required for the 3rd output and ups the cost of the motherboard a bit.
Get an i3. And more importantly get a HD7750. Dont sick an IGP on anyone you love. Anyone who says otherwise clearly does not know what they are talking about. Those things choke up and die as soon as you play a video on one screen and a simple flash game on another screen. Get a video card! HD 7750 is quite low power. Read the reviews and find one that is quiet!

Could not agree more, don't try and run a multi-monitor set-up from the IGP. It's simply too slow. The HD7750/70 is ideal for this as it relatively high performance and low power...

Also bump that i3 to an i5-3470 or similar. If you add a Z77 board, you can overclock the 3470 to above 3570K levels (3.6 vs 3.4GHz) absolutely without risk. Even the stock Intel cooler can handle 3.6GHz...

random_numbers

Nov 1, 2012
Thank you guys so much for the input so far, the information and links I've seen have been helpful.

DSF - Don't worry, I won't order until after the 1st of December, and even then probably closer to the 15th. Well maybe the tower, that would be safe to buy a little earlier, right? And that way he'd have something to open up on Christmas.

As for preferences, I talked to him about when he built his last computer, he really does not have any. I told him my brother was building a computer and that he asked me to ask him how he knew what to get. My husband then said he told a guy at a store what he wanted to do and the guy helped him pick out the more expensive parts, and then he picked basic parts out like hard drives and RAM, he didn't even remember what kind of processor he has, he just said, "I know it's an Intel, I'd have to look that up." He just wanted a project, he thought it would be neat to make a computer at the time, and he's proud that it has lasted so long (especially because I just bought a new laptop after only 4 years with my previous one). As long as it works well for what he does, and it lasts more than a few years, he's happy. =)

Okay, what about this:

Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116775

OR

Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I33225
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116774

With

GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128540

Two of these?

Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C9D3B1/4G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104238

And that's what I've looked for so far, have to go make husband's dinner for work tonight. I'm sure I'll be back on in a couple hours to look at more stuff.

Thank you guys for taking the time to help me, hope you all have a great day!

Amanda

random_numbers

Nov 1, 2012
Oops! I spent so long looking at stuff and adding to my post, that I didn't get to read yours Insert_Nickname! I have to go for now, but I'll be back in a little bit to read it!

Also, what is an IGP?
Also, I saw that the processors above said something about having graphics too, does that mean I don't need a graphics card? Or could I have both? Or is there a processor to get that doesn't have that so I can have better graphics?

Sorry to rush off, I'll be back in a little bit!

Amanda

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
IGP means integrated graphics processor... it's the graphics that come on ivy bridge chips.

Just don't touch it.

If you really don't plan on gaming or running heavy applications at all, you might be able to get away with this:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5423022-Tig...x4GB-Corsiar-Ram-Computer-Case-w-430-Watt-PSU

All you need is to buy a cheap GPU to handle multi-monitors, and a SSD. For a budget build this will put you under 300.

It's going to be a bit slower than an i3, but for day-to-day task, the price for higher end hardware could be saved and put into larger SSDs, which is where performance comes in handy. For the day-to-day tasks, your computer is actually bottlenecked by the hard drive; you have to upgrade to a SSD to take full advantage of your computer.

Now if you're going to go up to an i5, get a i5-3570K from microcenter (if there's one nearby, if not they are dropping in price online, but you must shop around) and a motherboard for about 250 combined, and that thing will rocket when you overclock it. Mine is at 4.5ghz, a 30% increase from stock, and I have headroom for more. That kind of build would put you closer to 600-700.

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Also, what is an IGP?
Also, I saw that the processors above said something about having graphics too, does that mean I don't need a graphics card? Or could I have both? Or is there a processor to get that doesn't have that so I can have better graphics?

IGP just stands for IntegratedGraphicsProcessor. Its quite a long word to type every time... :D (sorry for the technobabble...)

The IGP is just there integrated into to the CPU. If you put a graphics card in it just get disabled. In theory you could have the IGP driving one monitor and the graphics card the other. But today most (if not all) graphics cards support min. two independent outputs. And for gaming all (except AMD A10s) are too simply too slow...

As a side note both Intel and AMD make IGPless CPUs. Intels are regular core ix with the IGP physically fused of (Unless you count the LGA-2011 platform, but that is a real niche product). AMD FXs are genuine IGPless.

Edit; Eureka beat me to it...

ther00kie16

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2008
Don't recommend AMD. They are either slower and consume more power at same price or cost more and consume more power at a higher price.

Integrated graphics has come a long way and should be able to do the everyday things just fine. I can stream (flash) on 2 screens with my i3 Sandy Bridge (older CPU) laptop. If he ever feels the need for more GPU power, he can always add a faster card later.

Also, start him out with a 16GB (2x8GB) kit. They go for about $60 like the one I linked earlier. If he was using 3.5GB on a P4, he'll want more than 8GB on a new system. And that's why you should get a motherboard with 4 RAM slots so he can upgrade more easily if he ever decides to in the future.

Lastly, if you are going to get a i5, you should really look into the combo I listed as it does have Thunderbolt for a little extra money. However, if he plans to keep it for 8+ years again, it'll be useful in the future.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Don't recommend AMD. They are either slower and consume more power at same price or cost more and consume more power at a higher price.

Integrated graphics has come a long way and should be able to do the everyday things just fine. I can stream (flash) on 2 screens with my i3 Sandy Bridge (older CPU) laptop. If he ever feels the need for more GPU power, he can always add a faster card later.

Also, start him out with a 16GB (2x8GB) kit. They go for about $60 like the one I linked earlier. If he was using 3.5GB on a P4, he'll want more than 8GB on a new system. And that's why you should get a motherboard with 4 RAM slots so he can upgrade more easily if he ever decides to in the future.

Lastly, if you are going to get a i5, you should really look into the combo I listed as it does have Thunderbolt for a little extra money. However, if he plans to keep it for 8+ years again, it'll be useful in the future.

You are right, AMD does consume more power but they are the absolute budget option.

I have not yet seen anything that uses thunderbolt, and I'm not sure if it will take off. It looks to go the way of firewire. Not to mention, you can get a i5-3570k (faster, overclockable) and a z77 non-thunderbolt motherboard for under $250 at microcenter. Is thunderbolt really worth $100? If it really comes down to it, I'm sure there'll be thunderbolt cards in the future for cheap. The 16GB is a good price though.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I have not yet seen anything that uses thunderbolt, and I'm not sure if it will take off. It looks to go the way of firewire. Not to mention, you can get a i5-3570k (faster, overclockable) and a z77 non-thunderbolt motherboard for under $250 at microcenter. Is thunderbolt really worth $100? If it really comes down to it, I'm sure there'll be thunderbolt cards in the future for cheap. The 16GB is a good price though.

I am not sure about TB. Right now it seems like its going the way of firewire (e.g. expensive niche products). Shame really, it was such a promising tech for laptops. Why anyone would want to use it on the desktop, I don't really understand. If anyone can point out some usefulness, please feel free to enlighten me... ():)

And as Eureka pointed out, its only an expansion card away if you really need it... :cool:

ther00kie16

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2008
AMD is a budget option if you can pick up older CPUs for $50. However, she's not near a computer store with amazing combo deals. Also, current generation of AMD CPUs just can't match Intel at their price points. Trinity can't outpace i3 and Piledriver can't match i5.

She's not near a computer store so she has to order online. A 3570k + z77 won't be much cheaper than $350 and her husband has no need for overclocking.

As I mentioned, the thunderbolt port doubles as displayport so the board could output to 3 displays and her budget probably has room for a monitor.

random_numbers

Nov 1, 2012
Okay back! Got busy! And... I've been sitting here for almost 2 hours looking at processors, motherboards, and other stuff mentioned above... and it's making me feel more tired than when I got home from the gym! =P

ther00kie16 is right, I'm not near a computer store, I don't want AMD, and my husband is not going to do any overclocking. But he's also not going to buy a third display. He has a nice little setup going on in a corner, a big flat panel on each side of him.

Also, while it may be an option down the road, I'm not looking to get a SSD right now.

Oh, also! Are the IGPs really that bad? I have one on my laptop and he loves my laptop. This is what I have on my laptop (if it matters):

Intel Core i5-2450M @ 2.5GHz with Intel HD Graphics 3000
8GB RAM
750GB HDD @ 7200RPM

If he finds he doesn't like it, can he bypass the graphics part and add a graphics card instead?

He does less on his computer (even though he has two screens) than I do on my computer. I run my school work, MMORPG, and surf the web at the same time without a problem. I also skype with family or watch shows while surfing the web and doing homework too. Maybe it's super different between laptops and desktops?

I still think he'd be fine with an i3 processor, but I'm willing to get an i5 if it means I don't have to buy a graphics card for a while.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072

Just need to find a motherboard that goes with it.

If anyone is on and wouldn't mind chatting about this, I have google chat - randomly.numbered@gmail.com

Thank you for your time!
Amanda

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
The 2500k you found for $200 isn't bad, but you're better off either getting an i3-3225 for $140 or i5-3570K for $220 or so. Both are newer models and have slightly faster graphics. You don't need to buy a graphics card right now. The built in graphics will be good enough to start with.

Since you say no SSD, all you need is a nice case like the Corsair Carbide 300R or 200R, plus a solid power supply like the Corsair I linked earlier, 8GB of memory, and a motherboard based on the H77 chipset or perhaps z75 - sounds like you want four memory slots and I'm not sure if the H77 will have that. In fact, he might actually like a z77 due to the option for SSD caching. That allows you to add an SSD easily later.

You have lots of suggestions above, but if you want us to spell out exactly which model to get, you'll get a few different responses.

Last edited:

ther00kie16

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2008
$800-900 is plenty.

Ivy Bridge is actually capable of three displays provided the motherboard has displayport, which is required for the 3rd output and ups the cost of the motherboard a bit. Also, you'll want to get a motherboard with 4 RAM slots as opposed to the 2 on the board Termie linked so he can easily upgrade the RAM, the easiest, cheapest and very effective upgrade for those who like to multi-task and keep many programs open, which is obvious given he maxed out his old machine.

So here's my recommendation list:
i5 3450 & z77 mobo with thunderbolt allows connection with displayport monitors (for triple monitor setup) and future thunderbolt devices, which may come in handy if he keeps it for nearly a decade again.
$350 combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1100662

$70 for WD Blue 1tb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236339

$30 after $20 rebate ($10 promo ends 11/5) Corsair 500W power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139027

That's $530 before rebate.
Case, keyboard & mouse (if necessary) are all highly dependent on personal preference so I'll only say that Corsair's a very good brand for cases and the 300r (step up from 200r) is only a few dollars more shipped: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139011

With about $100 for case, keyboard and mouse (ask if you need recommendations), remaining money can be used for extra things like blu ray drive/burner (burner is $65 now but will surely be cheaper around Thanksgiving as it was $60 last year and you can get by on old DVD drives) and newer monitors.

That PSU is $5 cheaper and higher wattage rating from the same line. RAM is cheapest 16GB 1600MHZ with good timings. Both have promo codes that expire in 3 days though.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5421884-3TB...3-5-SATA-Internal-Hard-Drive-88-Free-shipping shows 2TB for $88.

With all this said, you are probably best holding off to buy most items around Black Friday as Newegg will have some great deals for a couple of days. RAM, hard drive and power supplies will definitely be among them although the power supplies may be higher rated and more expensive. CPU and motherboard prices aren't likely to move too much so it won't hurt to wait.

H77 and Z77 have SSD caching while Z75 doesn't. It's unlikely HD 4000 will make difference compared to HD 2500 but if so, go with the i3 3225 as the next cheapest with HD 4000 is the $100 more (i5 3570k). But if he's multi-tasking, I think an i5 over an i3 is worth the $50 premium (i5 3330 $180 right now compared to $130 i3 3225). Also, i3 doesn't support turbo while ASRock motherboards can automatically overclock the turbo a bit higher, which makes the i5 an even better upgrade for minimal amount of money ($50 out of $900 for ~50% more performance).

Again, I believe that if he has any intentions to keep this computer for 5+ years, an i5 quad is justified. Or you can let him upgrade it later on his own. Who knows, maybe he'll be interested in overclocking an unlocked (k) processor or upgrade the whole platform (motherboard + CPU).

Anyway, how does it feel to know more about current computer tech than your husband?

random_numbers

Nov 1, 2012
Okay, I've tried to put together something I think might work. It's not all the parts, but I've decided he can find his own sound card and other things.
I guess just tell me if this would work, or if something is horrible wrong? I'm really trying here, I've still been sitting here since my last post.

Intel Core i5-3330 Ivy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53330
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=i5%203330

GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128555

Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV316G160C9K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220686

---I realized that ther00kie16 had picked out different RAM for only $5ish more than this one, so it's probably better...

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...lue%20WD10EZEX

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

Rosewill RV350 350W ATX 1.3 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0W%20ATX%201.3

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...827135204

Thank you for your time!

Amanda

Last edited: